PDA

View Full Version : Dawson Rail- I have one. Now what?

SuicideHz
12-12-06, 10:23
My Dawson rail came in. It's going on a SA Loaded (9109L.)

I don't recall seeing instructions. What do I do to install it?

I'll test fit it, etc. but as far as placing it securely while I drill, any advice or tips?

Dave? You out there?

What I plan to do is center it and snug it up against the trigger guard in a vise with hard pads so I don't mar the frame. I'd like to get something else in on each side of the rail to hold it centered.

Or, should I use a little Glue of some sort to temporarily hold the rail where I want it and when it sets up THEN start marking holes?

And, what's a good way to ensure that when I mark the hole positions by going through the holes in the rail that I am centered? A center punch is much smaller than the holes and I'm sure someone knows a good way to center the punch in the hole...

Thanks in advance!

Joe

bigbore
12-12-06, 10:47
pay someone to install it

SuicideHz
12-12-06, 10:49
Really? And what is your charge? :p

Seriously though, do you do that? And I know these are tools, but mine is pretty and needs to stay that way for awhile. I don't want it coming back looking like that RRA!! Not that it would, but I wanted to be funny. Sorry...

;)

bigbore
12-12-06, 10:57
I can do anything to mine, or my friends 1911s, but I wont touch a customers. :D

SuicideHz
12-12-06, 11:01
No? I would ask Dave but I think he said he prefers soldering and refinishing. I read an article that stated the Marines' pistols don't have problems or failures just using screws...

M4arc
12-12-06, 12:32
What about sending it to Dawson and having them install it?

SuicideHz
12-12-06, 12:36
Anyone know the cost?

You think that's the best way to go?

M4arc
12-12-06, 12:40
Anyone know the cost?

You think that's the best way to go?

It's what I would do. It's their rail and I'm sure they are the most qualified to install it. Where did you get just the rail from?

SuicideHz
12-12-06, 12:46
Straight from Dawson. I just threw an email their way asking about an install.

I'm getting an X200A from a member here that has the Dawson adapter and G18 switch. I contacted SF and they are sending me a free standard adapter. Nice CS with those people!

Dave Berryhill
12-12-06, 13:23
...You think that's the best way to go?
They've probably installed a few and should know how to do it. ;)

To do it yourself, a mill with a digital readout would be my first choice. You could also clamp the rail in place, mark the hole locations with a transfer punch and then carefully drill the holes with a drill press.

SuicideHz
12-12-06, 13:42
Transfer Punch? I think that's what I'm looking for! Didn't think to go to Harbor Freight and search for punch to see if they have what I thought I needed.

That's exactly what I was envisioning as the tool needed to do this.

I have a drill press with a good vice and a decent set of taps. I may buy a new nice tap for this app. I put the UF AK together. I hope *cross my fingers* I can drill and tap three holes.

Thanks Dave.

They've probably installed a few and should know how to do it. ;)

To do it yourself, a mill with a digital readout would be my first choice. You could also clamp the rail in place, mark the hole locations with a transfer punch and then carefully drill the holes with a drill press.

Dave Berryhill
12-12-06, 14:48
Drilling and tapping 3 holes is easy. Drilling them straight and in the proper location takes a little more skill. :D

SuicideHz
12-12-06, 15:05
That's why I'm going to have 12 red and 6 green lasers going at the same time to keep everything straight and level!!

DamnYank!
12-12-06, 15:24
i think dawson gives an install price on their site... like $45

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=1C90000-1093364740

SuicideHz
12-12-06, 15:28
HEY! Didn't I tell you to go to Harbor Freight and pick me up those transfer punches!!??!? :mad:

DamnYank!
12-12-06, 15:43
HEY! Didn't I tell you to go to Harbor Freight and pick me up those transfer punches!!??!? :mad:

with friends like Joe, who needs enemies! :D

SuicideHz
12-12-06, 19:05
Pistolwrench tells me that the #28 drill bit will work as a nice transfer punch. He affirmed that the JB Weld will make a good bedding compound and to mark and drill the first hole, tap and then install the screw before trying the others. I had pretty much imagined this as the best way but I had to ask the pros BEFORE as opposed to AFTER.

Dave Berryhill
12-12-06, 19:14
Are the voices talking to you again? :eek:

SuicideHz
12-12-06, 19:30
No, I was talking to DamnYank. He lives about 2 miles from my office and was supposed to be a good friend and go pick those up. Well, maybe not supposed to but I *told* him to :D

SuicideHz
12-28-06, 21:25
Update: It's installed. Not perfect but I really didn't spend too much time on it.

http://suicidehz.zoto.com/img/640x480x1/95fe2bc1d023c05fd631a0cb186b3372-.jpg

http://cwhorley.zoto.com/img/1024x768x1/47b413adb86c9c83918677fb5ad042f0-.jpg

http://cwhorley.zoto.com/img/1024x768x1/db936251a88ea6106769162b9e0b3e4c-.jpg

paulee
12-30-06, 14:08
I have been considering getting a rail from either Dawson or Novak, and using my carry 1911 as a "2 in 1" gun. Carry during the day, at home screw on the rail and attach the light. How difficult would it be to do this, aside from the time involved? Or am I better off having a dedicated house gun?

SuicideHz
12-30-06, 14:48
Paulee- I wouldn't even consider that as an option. To begin with, I feel that installing the rail correctly requires more than just screwing it on- something permanent. Also, you have to consider the size of the screws and how much of the dustcover is actually threaded. I wouldn't want to risk stripping those threads. Finally, the screws protruded a little too far into the dustcover and they had to be ground flush from the inside.

I haven't gotten around to testing holsters but the Dawson was designed to fit quite a bit of standard 1911 holsters.