PDA

View Full Version : Lancer mag issue

DBR
02-27-09, 22:56
I just received 5 Lancer mags from Brownells.

They are going back!

The insert says the polymer is sensitive to DEET and may craze or otherwise be compromised by DEET (bug repellent).

I don't know about you folks but during the prime shooting months of the summer, I use DEET daily.

I do not want to destroy my mags because I defend my person against bugs.

Littlelebowski
02-27-09, 22:59
I use DEET and I'm not worried about it. Do you use your mags daily and do you rub DEET on them? I'll take your Lancers off of you. How many ya got?

CHoffman
02-28-09, 02:13
I pulled this straight from Lancer's faq's:

If DEET is sprayed or directly applied to the plastic around, or covering the feed lips it will crack and become unusable. If DEET is accidentally
applied directly to these areas, clean immediately and inspect for damage. DEET will not affect the rest of the body and other components of the
magazine.
Secondary exposure, getting it on your hands and then touching the feed lip area, will have no effect to the magazine.
So basically just don't spray your mags down with DEET and you'll be fine. And I do believe this information is included with every magazine.

GLOCKMASTER
02-28-09, 08:08
Are you using DEET to lube your rifle?:D

markm
02-28-09, 08:24
Are you using DEET to lube your rifle?:D

I personally use DEET to lube ALL of my magazine feedlips. I've been doing it for years and it seems to work great! :)

Robb Jensen
02-28-09, 08:39

They are going back!

The insert says the polymer is sensitive to DEET and may craze or otherwise be compromised by DEET (bug repellent).

I don't know about you folks but during the prime shooting months of the summer, I use DEET daily.

It's not an issue, they're just warning you that DEET can damage the magazines. Other things can damage them too....things like tanks running them over, smashing them with a sledge hammer, crushing them in a vise etc.

I've used Lancer L5 mags and Magpul PMAGs for competitive shooting since both have been available. I use 100% DEET round my socks and shoes during the summer months to keep the redbugs, mosquitos, flies and ticks away. I use regular Deep Woods Off on the rest of my body since the stronger DEET burns my skin. I've yet to have a problem with either magazines using DEET.

Shihan
02-28-09, 11:46
Im a squito magnet to the point that they will land and eat me thru the puddles of repelant on my skin and im not worried about it and I did T&E on the Lancers.

Jay Cunningham
02-28-09, 11:53
I think the idea behind asking how DEET might effect the magazines is over the long term - of which we know absolutley nothing regarding the new generation of polymer magazines.

So a better question might be: in a military application where magazines may be exposed to a certain level of DEET over a long period, does the chance of magazine degradation increase?

I think this is a legit question that quite frankly we don't know the answer to yet because we don't have sufficient data yet.

At least in my little brain the above scenario applies much more than "I've been using these for three months and I use DEET and they're flawless..."

Buckaroo
02-28-09, 11:57
Im a squito magnet to the point that they will land and eat me thru the puddles of repelant on my skin and im not worried about it and I did T&E on the Lancers.

Glad to know I am not the only one who has this problem! My wife can stand next to me and remain unbitten while I, wearing enough repellent for both of us, slap my self silly.

Buckaroo

Iraqgunz
02-28-09, 13:59
Inappropriate post deleted - check your pm.

~The_Katar

Robb Jensen
02-28-09, 14:20
I'll be using my 48 round Lancer L5 mag this year for 3gun.
I'll be using DEET and bug spray in the warm weather as always......for some reason I don't think I'll have anything to worry about. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/48roundL5mag2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/48roundL5mag.jpg

Jack-O
02-28-09, 14:34
sheesh.... What's wrong with good ol' fashuned GI spec aluminum mags?:confused::cool:

Robb Jensen
02-28-09, 14:47
sheesh.... What's wrong with good ol' fashuned GI spec aluminum mags?:confused::cool:

They don't hold 48 rounds.....;)

Nothing wrong with USGI aluminum mags, PMAGs or Lancer mags as long as they work. Mags that don't work are trash regardless of manufacturer.

Heavy Metal
02-28-09, 14:57

susceptability to impact damage for starters.

Jack-O
02-28-09, 23:06
susceptability to impact damage for starters.

seems like every mag is suceptible to that. Ive seem dented HK mags and cracked and broken Pmags.

every mag has it's trade offs.

Heavy Metal
02-28-09, 23:36
seems like every mag is suceptible to that. Ive seem dented HK mags and cracked and broken Pmags.

You will likely see a USGI mag as a pancake before you see a PMAG taking significant damage. Likely the same for the Lancers.

The HK mags appear to be little better than the GI mags in this regard. Anything man made can be broken. The question is how easily.

rob_s
03-01-09, 08:00
I have two Lancer mags, one that I got free from Bravo Company in an EAG class and one that I got at SHOT.

I'm going to see what the strongest DEET concentration I can find is and hose one of them down to see if it has an effect. I don't want to just spray it with Off (all we have around here) since the concentration of DEET is pretty low in that.

Stay tuned.

geminidglocker
03-01-09, 09:52
WOW, this is the funniest thing I've ever heard.I don't remember the last time I lubed up my mags with DEET.I love my lancer mags and I am glad that through the 2 years of research and development that it took to produce these magazines, that they even took the time to expose them to chemical hazards, and then warn there customers about them.They're like a magazine with an OSHA approved MSDS attached.:D

DrewH
03-01-09, 13:05
I'm going to see what the strongest DEET concentration I can find is and hose one of them down to see if it has an effect.

We already know applying DEET directly to the magazine is bad for it, Lancer tells us that in the packaging.

rob_s
03-01-09, 13:48
We already know applying DEET directly to the magazine is bad for it, Lancer tells us that in the packaging.

:rolleyes:

and I want to see what happens.

Eating pizza is "bad for me", but it doesn't make me spontaneously combust.

bullseye
03-01-09, 18:34
i just hope they FINALLY get their 20 rounder out there,, that probabaly will be my "go to" mag.[deet be damned!] 'skeeters don't bother me,, if there is a fire-ant within 5 miles, he's gonna eat my junky ass up.

glazer1972
03-02-09, 10:54
I wouldn't lube the magazine with DEET but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

AnchorArmament
03-02-09, 14:49
Here is a quote I borrowed from RevMetric on TOS, "The excerpt below was taken from a US Dept. of Ag study.

"DEET will damage plastic materials, so do not apply DEET formulations on or near plastics, acetate, rayon, Spandex, synthetic fabrics (other than nylon), furniture finishes, leather, watch crystals, and painted or varnished surfaces. Plastic glass frames and goggles should be protected from DEET applications. Car finishes and interiors also may be damaged by DEET." "

There are other items on an AR that may have issues with DEET. If anything, Lancer has brought that to our attention. I'm glad they did, since it wasn't anything I really considered.

SingleStacker45
03-02-09, 16:01
I like my lancer mags although they are a bit harder to seat with thirty rounds than the pmags. I fail to see what the big deal is with the deet.

Mule

C4IGrant
03-02-09, 16:16

They are going back!

Do you spray all your guns and gear with DEET? I do not as it tends to make them slimy. This is not condusive to me hanging onto them. ;)

C4

C4IGrant
03-02-09, 16:19

The GI mag was designed by the US Military as a one time use item. Over 50% of the malfunctions that happen in the AR platform are because of cheap, crappy mags.

The reason why we use Lancer and PMAG's is because they are superior to the GI magazine in EVERY WAY.

C4

DBR
03-02-09, 16:56
I use 3M Ultrathon. It is a time release DEET formulation that works very well. I use it on my hands and it gets on stuff where it stays for quite a while.

I have had it damage plastic in the past. I am not interested in mags that may be damaged by DEET. Each to his own.

Ultrathon link:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Ultrathon/Products/

SHIVAN
03-02-09, 17:04
Better return your skin, eyes and respiratory systems too:

From Ultrathon's MSDS sheet....similar warnings as those from Lancer mags...

Eye Contact:

Single exposure may cause:
Severe Eye Irritation: Signs/symptoms may include significant redness, swelling, pain, tearing, cloudy appearance of the
cornea, and impaired vision.

Skin Contact:

Prolonged or repeated exposure may cause:

Mild Skin Irritation: Signs/symptoms may include localized redness, swelling, and itching.

Inhalation:

Upper Respiratory Tract Irritation: Signs/symptoms may include cough, sneezing, nasal discharge, headache, hoarseness, and nose
and throat pain.

Intentional concentration and inhalation may be harmful or fatal.

May be absorbed following inhalation and cause target organ effects.

Ingestion:

Ingestion may cause:

Gastrointestinal Irritation: Signs/symptoms may include abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea and vomiting.
May be absorbed following ingestion and cause target organ effects.

Target Organ Effects:

Prolonged or repeated exposure may cause:

Central Nervous System (CNS) Depression: Signs/symptoms may include headache, dizziness, drowsiness, incoordination,
nausea, slowed reaction time, slurred speech, giddiness, and unconsciousness.

DBR
03-02-09, 17:20
I haven't experienced any of those problems after using DEET for years (or maybe I have and I'm just so affected I don't know it).

Apparently the same cannot be said for the Lancer mags.

C4IGrant
03-02-09, 18:39
I use 3M Ultrathon. It is a time release DEET formulation that works very well. I use it on my hands and it gets on stuff where it stays for quite a while.

I have had it damage plastic in the past. I am not interested in mags that may be damaged by DEET. Each to his own.

Ultrathon link:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Ultrathon/Products/

I use the same stuff. I wipe it on the exposed parts of my skin & then wipe my hands.

No issues at all with my lancer mags.

There are a lot of other things you should worry about.

C4

SHIVAN
03-02-09, 19:15
The hint I was giving you is that you do not know what DEET does to Lancer mags, you are reading their lawyer's warning to you.

Just like I wrote out 3M lawyer's warning to you about things that MAY, or MAY NOT actually occur.

You are being told by several people that DEET has not effected their mags, and you INSIST on deferring to a warning you've read -- rather then rely on the 1st hand experience being imparted to you.

That's pretty silly in my mind.

I haven't experienced any of those problems after using DEET for years (or maybe I have and I'm just so affected I don't know it).

Apparently the same cannot be said for the Lancer mags.

DBR
03-02-09, 19:37
I KNOW from personal experience and reliable technical info DEET is very destructive to many plastics and may not show its deleterious effects immediately.

I KNOW directly from Lancer that the material used for their mags IS one of the effected plastics.

I don't care what other people THINK may happen in actual use.

My choice is made. I'm outta here!

Littlelebowski
03-02-09, 19:58
Good because we wouldn't want a mag catastrophically failing on you on one of your classified black ops deep behind enemy lines.

I KNOW from personal experience and reliable technical info DEET is very destructive to many plastics and may not show its deleterious effects immediately.

I KNOW directly from Lancer that the material used for their mags IS one of the effected plastics.

I don't care what other people THINK may happen in actual use.

My choice is made. I'm outta here!

SHIVAN
03-02-09, 20:01
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

How did I know this would turn in to some clairvoyant thread where the original "problem" turned in to a condemnation based on ZERO observed factual information??

Firsthand experience has been shown that Lancer mags are not reacting with casual contact with DEET. If someone comes to a different firsthand conclusion through testing or use, please post a new thread.

I will not suffer foolish behavior in regard to secondhand guesswork.