PDA

View Full Version : A looney idea involving crowns...

deadwood83
12-14-06, 16:07
I've been mulling the whole crowned barrel v flash hider thing for the past little bit and I have an idea; although it's a bit far-fetched.

My idea was originally for a thread-on crown kinda like a thread protector except it protrudes and has the whole 11* thing going on. That's when I realized that getting it set to the right ammount of in/lb torque would be rather difficult and have it still cover all the threads. Crush washers and lock washers wouldn't work because you might end up with a small gap between the 'artificial' crown and the barrel creating a corrosion heaven.

Anyway, my idea changed so now i'm thinking why not have a barrel threaded and crowned then instead of the traditional crush washer, a self-centering insert that goes IN the crown would provide the force against the flash hider. The only thing that worries me with that is heat dissipation and crown damage if the FH is left on.

So, what are your thoughts? Is it doable? would it work? does somebody have a better idea? does the vortex FH solve the crown vs FH problem?:D

bigbore
12-14-06, 16:28
What is your definition of a crown? Its obviously not the same as mine.:confused:

deadwood83
12-14-06, 18:21
well I realize a true crown can be any angle, I was just thinking 11* or 7* to minimize any possible damage in the field. Just removing the FH and leaving the (90* on an AR?) face should be just as accurate so long as the gas escapes at the same time. A FH like The Vortex looks like it could serve as a sort of crown since the ports are exactly and evenly spaced and from my very limited knowledge of physics it seems as if the gas pressures would be even around the 4 prong things keeping the bullet stable. I'm just not sure if it does it as well as a conventional 11* crown.

What really seems helter kelter is the A2 flash hider's bottom port (militarily it makes perfect sense) and if the gas pressures around that area remain the same as around the rest.

ETA: When I say crowns, I mean target style 11* crowns. The kind that don't work with a normal comp/FH. If I am seeing things right in my head, the 90* crown on an AR meets with the back end of the operational section of the comp/FH making the muzzle device ultimately responsible for dispersion of gas. Correct me if i'm wrong. I've never removed my FH (no bolt-down vise) on my AR to see if there is a gap between the crown and FH.

UVvis
12-14-06, 18:42
I think what he meant was that you seem to be confusing crown and compensators. The crown and the flash hider or any muzzle device are independent from each other. The crown is a mechanical aspect of the barrel. Compensators usual deal with the blast wave coming off and generally have little bearing on the projectile's flight path.

AR barrels are generally crowned and threaded.

K.L. Davis
12-14-06, 21:57
Sorry, but when I read that... all I could think about was the Lewis Black bit...

...I was afraid that blood was going to shoot out of my nose.