PDA

View Full Version : Rescue in Panama - Military Channel

Sam
01-02-07, 18:31
Monday, 1/8/07, 9pm, The Military Channel - Rescue in Panama - The story of the rescue of Kurt Muse from Modelo Prison. Watch closely, you may see someone we know, there will be interviews with participants and reenactment (using actors I assume).

VA_Dinger
01-02-07, 18:34
Thanks for the heads up.

LAV took part in this rescue and was interviewed for the show.

Sam
01-02-07, 19:07
I ain't naming names :cool:

LukeMacGillie
01-02-07, 19:47
small world, I used to have coctails with his parents at their place on Taboga.

M4arc
01-02-07, 20:39
I read Six Minutes To Freedom on the advice of dinger and there was chapter on Just Cause in Linda Robinson's book, Masters of Chaos so I'm really looking forward to this!

DrMark
01-02-07, 21:38
I don't believe I get that channel on my Cox Cable.

:(

Dport
01-02-07, 21:45

I don't get it either.

Someone needs to tape it and then we'll send it around.:D

VA_Dinger
01-02-07, 21:49

It's channel 104 in Tidewater.

DrMark
01-03-07, 15:43
It's channel 104 in Tidewater.

If it's 3-digit channel, I know I don't get it.

"Basic-Cable Mark"

John_Wayne777
01-03-07, 15:46
Monday, 1/8/07, 9pm, The Military Channel - Rescue in Panama - The story of the rescue of Kurt Muse from Modelo Prison. Watch closely, you may see someone we know, there will be interviews with participants and reenactment (using actors I assume).

I don't know anyone involved with that aspect of it...

In May I did have the opportunity to meet one of the guys who was stuck on the airfield in Panama getting shot at. Great guy. You would have thought he was a surfer until he wore shorts...

Then you saw what Panamanian bullets can do to somebody's leg.

VA_Dinger
01-03-07, 16:07
If it's 3-digit channel, I know I don't get it.

"Basic-Cable Mark"

Cheap bastard.

:D

Dport
01-03-07, 16:11
Cheap bastard.

Hey watch the name calling.

R,
the other cheap bastard.

DrMark
01-03-07, 18:50
Cheap bastard.

Well, I am an Engineer. Most of us are cheap!

Sam
01-08-07, 16:27
Tonight is the night !

M4arc
01-08-07, 18:33
Tonight is the night !

9PM! I can't wait.

LukeMacGillie
01-08-07, 19:06
You would think that a hotel outside the gates of FLETC would have the military channel, but NOOOOOOOOO only 12 channels, and while it has FNC, I dont think it has normal Fox for tomarrow evenings festivites

Bulldog1967
01-08-07, 19:37
I am DVR-ing it and will make some DVDs for those interested.

Hell, if you are nice I might even edit out the commercials. :eek:

Dport
01-08-07, 20:11
Ooh I'm interested! Commercials or no. I got a FF button.:)

M4arc
01-08-07, 21:14
Good show!

HAMMERDROP
01-08-07, 21:19
I got my wife to watch as well ... now I know who LAV is ! Nobody tells me anything anymore ...:confused:

M4arc
01-09-07, 05:58
I got my wife to watch as well ... now I know who LAV is ! Nobody tells me anything anymore ...:confused:

My wife watched it with me as well but she must have asked two dozen questions :rolleyes:

John_Wayne777
01-09-07, 07:32

Then perhaps you could clue me in.

I am not one of the NOVA contingent here, so I miss a lot of the inside stuff...

Robb Jensen
01-09-07, 07:34
Then perhaps you could clue me in.

I am not one of the NOVA contingent here, so I miss a lot of the inside stuff...

LAV is Larry Vickers, former SFOD-D operator, 1911 builder/guru, one of the developers of the HK416 and one of the founding members of IDPA. There's some pics of him here http://www.hkpro.com/hk416.htm

There's also a friend of mine in the 2nd pic from the bottom, it's my friend 'Turtle' aka Todd. He's a full time SERT officer with the US Captiol Police. He's the guy looking to his left with no hat on and out of focus. Turtle is a GrandMaster Production shooter in USPSA.

I am DVR-ing it and will make some DVDs for those interested.

Hell, if you are nice I might even edit out the commercials. :eek:

Hook a brother up Matt! :D

Sam
01-09-07, 07:54
www.vickerstactical.com

Dport
01-09-07, 08:27
I got clued in to who LAV was from the Tidewater contingent.

Greyman09
01-09-07, 08:37
I watched it last night. It was really cool as I was able to take a training class with Larry Vickers this past weekend.

C4IGrant
01-09-07, 09:35
Good show for sure! Did anyone watch the show right after it?? There was an Army Capt. that was being interviewed about the mission they were doing and he was the MOST tabbed out soldier I have EVER seen. Here is the list of tabs that I could see:

Army Combat Infantry Badge
Navy Special Warfare (SEAL) Badge
Scuba
Pathfinder
Navy Jump Wings
Airborne
Ranger

So all I can think is that this guy enlisted in the Navy, became a SEAL and then got out, went to college and then joined the Army as an officer.

Very strange!

C4

Bulldog1967
01-09-07, 10:18
Hook a brother up Matt! :D

I will hook anyone here who wants one with a dvd WITHOUT COMMERCIALS. I just need to get some better cables for the dub.

Who's your bud? :D

John_Wayne777
01-09-07, 12:06
LAV is Larry Vickers

Well hell's bells....I knew all along.

Darn.

And I was looking forward to knowing some cool secret club stuff too...:(

9x19
01-09-07, 18:44
I will hook anyone here who wants one with a dvd WITHOUT COMMERCIALS. I just need to get some better cables for the dub.

Who's your bud? :D

Thanks. We know you are! I just finished the book, and I really wanted to see it. :cool:

JLM
01-12-07, 02:23
Did anyone notice that rgrgordo got a "Special Thanks" in the Credits? Hrmmm......

Gun-nut
01-12-07, 21:07
Good show for sure! Did anyone watch the show right after it?? There was an Army Capt. that was being interviewed about the mission they were doing and he was the MOST tabbed out soldier I have EVER seen. Here is the list of tabs that I could see:

Army Combat Infantry Badge
Navy Special Warfare (SEAL) Badge
Scuba
Pathfinder
Navy Jump Wings
Airborne
Ranger

So all I can think is that this guy enlisted in the Navy, became a SEAL and then got out, went to college and then joined the Army as an officer.

Very strange!

C4

The show you're talking about is "Kiowa Down".
The Bco Commander had more schools stacked on his chest, than anyone I think i've ever met.
You were off on a few badges I think, I'll have to catch it again.
I thought he had:
CIB (Combat Infantryman badge)
Trident (Basic underwater demolition school/ or Navy Seals)
????(I'll take your word for the Navy jump wings, because I didn't recognize these.)
Halo wings (Military Freefall)
Scuba(Combat Diver Qualification course)
and his tab on his left shoulder was the Special forces tab.
They showed another guy with a Ranger tab later, and it was much smaller in comparison to the unit patch.
I didn't see the Pathfinder patch, but I'll pause it next time.:D

RAM Engineer
01-14-07, 17:01
I watched the doc. on Friday night and bought the book on Saturday. I was expecting that I'd be bored with the book until the "Acid Gambit" stuff started, but I'm 1/3rd of the way into it and it has been great! I didn't delete the show off my Tivo, so I'm planning on watching it again after I finish the book....and making my wife watch it also.

Sam
01-17-07, 13:53
I was able to watch part of the program, I think. A friend taped it until the end of the reenactment and story telling and interview with several of the rescuers and Kurt Muse. Was there something else after that? I mean, was there other interviews with Muse and discussion about Muse's book afterward?
Thanks.

M4arc
01-17-07, 15:15
I watched the doc. on Friday night and bought the book on Saturday. I was expecting that I'd be bored with the book until the "Acid Gambit" stuff started, but I'm 1/3rd of the way into it and it has been great! I didn't delete the show off my Tivo, so I'm planning on watching it again after I finish the book....and making my wife watch it also.

I was surprised with the book as well. It turned out to be an excellent read.

9x19
01-17-07, 20:41
I really like John Gilstrap's writing. He's Kurt Muse's co-writer. I don't know if he still does, but he used to live in Woodbridge, VA and he was part of the same fire department as gotm4, OWL Occoquan-Woodbridge-Lorton Volunteer Fire Department. gotm4 was in station 12, and Mr. Gilstrap was in station 14. I'm going to add some of his other books on my "to read" stack.

DrMark
01-24-07, 13:44
Well, my wife and I got to watch this last night. (Thanks Bulldog1967!!)

Good program! (except they stuck in a lot of footage of Bell helicopters when they apparently ran short of Little Bird footage)

Sam
02-02-07, 09:35
For those of us who missed it because we didn't have the Military channel, the program will be broadcast on regular Discovery channel Saturday at 9pm (and a few other time slots).