PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 break-in and Milt Sparks quality

Striker5
01-13-07, 18:02
I put 200 rounds through my new G17 today. The only weird thing was an ejection pattern that sometimes put the brass back in my face. Once my new toy digested some ammo, I wore it the rest of the day in a SSII. What a great holster!

I have read about how there is no "pride of ownership" w/ a Glock and now I understand. When I focused on my front sight, the holes appeared where I wanted them to. After I got done w/ the Glock I put 200 through my Hi-Power, which I had just fixed from a firing pin problem. That's when the difference hit me. A Glock just doesn't have "soul". At least mine doesn't. We'll see if it develops some personality.

Zip06
01-13-07, 18:39
You are right, Glocks do not have a personality or soul they are implements just like a hammer or axe. The High Power, however, does have a persona and is a legend but not more functional.

I have both and while I favor my High Powers, I carry the Glock much more.

tikkafan
01-18-07, 01:32
Glocks do have a personality, boringly reliable.

Boringly reliable is a huge complement and something to take pride in. Well for a gun anyway. The M240 comes to mind...

Sounds strange on the ejection issues. My SIG P220 likes to tap me on the top of the head with spent brass. My G17 makes nice little piles of brass at 3 o'clock.

What ammo are you using?

baffle Stack
01-18-07, 02:38
SSII... What is that the "summer special"? I'm in the market for a CCW holster for my Glock 19. I was thinking of picking up a Versa Max. I'd like to hear more about this model too though:D

Striker5
01-18-07, 06:46
You are correct. My wife got me a G17, a Summer Special 2, a Blade-tech mag carrier and is going to foot part of the bill for a Bowie Tactical nightsight/G19 reduction job. I love her!

I scored the last holster Brownell's had for the 17/22, BTW. I am not a leather expert :confused: , but the thing exudes quality. I am 5'2 and the full sized Glock disappears on me. That is big w/ me as I never had a warm fuzzy that I was completely concealed w/ my two previous holsters. Now I carry everywhere I can, which is the whole point of a pistol.

Ever since I started getting serious about guns and doing research, everyone talked about how great this holster was. They're right.

I have tried to be low key about my excitement about this setup because I can see all the guys here thinking "You discovered the Glock 17 is reliable and the SSII is a good design. Ye-ah. Good for you, kiddo.";)

edited to add: I was using Wal-Mart white box. I put some Federal 147gr through it - same pattern.

baffle Stack
01-19-07, 14:32
I put 200 rounds through my new G17 today. The only weird thing was an ejection pattern that sometimes put the brass back in my face. Once my new toy digested some ammo, I wore it the rest of the day in a SSII. What a great holster!

I have read about how there is no "pride of ownership" w/ a Glock and now I understand. When I focused on my front sight, the holes appeared where I wanted them to. After I got done w/ the Glock I put 200 through my Hi-Power, which I had just fixed from a firing pin problem. That's when the difference hit me. A Glock just doesn't have "soul". At least mine doesn't. We'll see if it develops some personality.

This happens to me if I limp wrist my glock.

Striker5
01-20-07, 07:33
Hmmmm. I'm pretty sure I'm not limp-wristing, but I'll tighten my grip and see if the pattern changes when I make my visit to the range. Thanks for the tip.

NickB
01-20-07, 12:05
edited: That's not helping Striker5's situation and it's only going to turn cause a &%#$ storm - M4arc

baffle Stack
01-20-07, 13:21
I found my GLOCK hard to shoot at 1st. This site helped a bunch,
http://www.glockfaq.com/

From the Link,
Q:Ejected brass keeps hitting me in the head. What's wrong with my Glock?
A:There is nothing wrong with your Glock. The most common cause of getting brass in the face is an improper or weak grip (limp wristing). If you've worked on your grip and still think the problem is the gun, let an experienced Glock owner shoot your gun and see if they have the same problem.

It still happens to me sometimes and I don't think I'm limpwristing much anymore. When I 1st bought it I let my then GF shoot it, she limp wrist it so bad she induced malfunctions :eek: Even funnier, the bass hit her in the face about every shot, more than a few found their way down her shirt :p We worked on her grip and stance a bit and the problem went away. It was a learning experience for us both.

Striker5
01-20-07, 17:03
Cybin,

I put 283 rounds of WWB through my Glock today. I tried stiffening my grip, not to an insane degree, but tighter than I usually do when shooting. The Glock was anticipating me and threw 4-5 cases directly back in my face, in addition to the usual complement on my head (including indirect fire that hits me directly on top of my grape w/ a pok!).

Getting pelted w/ brass is annoying, but I can live with it (I think). What gets me is that the ejection pattern is completely erratic - sometimes normal, back, forward, in my face, etc. The pistol has gone bang every time and I am approaching the 500rd mark. I just didn't expect it. Also, I noticed a decent brass smear on the lower edge of the ejection port. I don't if that's normal. Anyway, that's where I'm at right now.

Thanks,
Striker5

M4arc
01-20-07, 18:16
Striker5 - My G17 didn't settle down until I had about 1500 threw it. I know everyone says Glocks don't have a break in period but mine sure did. It was tight and kicked brass in my face until I put some round through it.

Dport
01-20-07, 19:48
edited - M4arc:rolleyes:

ETA: Quick question. Did you notice if the knocks on the head come at the end of the magazine? Mine did that for a while. The last round or two in the magazine would hit me in the forehead. Still does it on occasion. No clue why.

UNIT 6639
01-20-07, 20:36
If the brass is still hitting you in the head, just wear a hat! I would definatly wear eye protection as well.

Nathan_Bell
01-20-07, 22:12
My newer G21 with the loaded chamber style extractor has the same issue on ejection. It is not totally erratic though, I will end up with 3 distinct piles of brass. Gun is still low round count so I am hoping it will work its way out of that, as my older G21 puts them in one nice pile.

SuicideHz
01-20-07, 23:46
Cybin,

I put 283 rounds of WWB through my Glock today. I tried stiffening my grip, not to an insane degree, but tighter than I usually do when shooting. The Glock was anticipating me and threw 4-5 cases directly back in my face, in addition to the usual complement on my head (including indirect fire that hits me directly on top of my grape w/ a pok!).

Getting pelted w/ brass is annoying, but I can live with it (I think). What gets me is that the ejection pattern is completely erratic - sometimes normal, back, forward, in my face, etc. The pistol has gone bang every time and I am approaching the 500rd mark. I just didn't expect it. Also, I noticed a decent brass smear on the lower edge of the ejection port. I don't if that's normal. Anyway, that's where I'm at right now.

Thanks,
Striker5

For the love of God, please tell me you didn't fire 583 out of 600 rounds so you could carry the gun with 17 rounds of WWB in it?

Bad Idea...

Striker5
01-21-07, 07:18
NickB - Huh? I own guns because I have to? (I also have a 1911, BTW. If that helps).

Dport - I didn't notice but will check on the next trip to the range.

M4arc - I think that's what it's gonna take. I am not going to get my shorts in a twist til the 1500-2000 mark.

SuicideHz - I carry Federal 147gr JHP. Prior to that I carried Cor-Bon 125gr +P.
If your issue is "carrying elcheapo WWB for personal defense is dumb", I agree.

If you are one of those guys who thinks "you're an idiot if you don't fire 100's of premium hollow-points every range session", I will politely tell you that I agree in theory, but it is not economically feasible. I am comfortable w/ my current setup. If you can afford to do this, or have agency ammo, I'm jealous.

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Thank you for the responses.

SuicideHz
01-21-07, 14:14
No, sorry if it sounded that way. I just noticed that 583 was a very odd number and then thought maybe you dropped a box and picked up what you could, not getting it all. AND maybe Rainman was there to tell you "583, you fired 583 rounds..." :D .

Then I realized your pistol holds 17.

I don't advise carrying 17 rounds of 9mm ball.

I try to get in the habit of buying a box of decent carry HPs when I order online. That way, when I fired a few hundred of the ball, I can cycle through some of my carry ammo. I usually leave with no ball ammo...

Striker5
01-21-07, 16:59
No, that was an odd situation. Me and my 1stSgt have started going to the range on a fairly regular basis. These sessions, like all my sessions, involve me putting two Wal-Mart value packs thru my pistol (formerly a BHP MkIII, now the Glock). Well, the CO is a gun nut and told me to give him a call the next time I went to shoot. So I call him and my 1stSgt develops a mysterious illness and drops out. So we are plinking away and he evidently got bored and started sweeping up brass and said "Let's go." Whaddaya gonna do? So I packed my stuff. Now my gun book is out of whack. I did thoroughly trounce him and another co-worker who showed up though. :D

NickB
01-21-07, 21:27
NickB - Huh? I own guns because I have to? (I also have a 1911, BTW. If that helps).

I own Glocks, too, and have a great appreciation for them. Why does everyone take things so personally on gun forums? Glocks are very utilitarian. They're rough around the edges. That's part of their charm. I can't wait to pick up my G26, but that doesn't make my post any less true...wow.

Dport
01-21-07, 21:46
I own Glocks, too, and have a great appreciation for them. Why does everyone take things so personally on gun forums? Glocks are very utilitarian. They're rough around the edges. That's part of their charm. I can't wait to pick up my G26, but that doesn't make my post any less true...wow.
Actually, it does. I own guns mainly because I want to. And what do I own? Glocks. Therefore your statement is false. Now let's move on to helping the gentleman with his problem.

NickB
01-21-07, 21:54
Actually, it does. I own guns mainly because I want to. And what do I own? Glocks. Therefore your statement is false. Now let's move on to helping the gentleman with his problem.

Sorry, Dport. I'll be more sensitive next time. I was just expanding on the OP's comment that there is no "pride of ownership" or "soul" in a Glock. I agreed with him even if you don't. My mistake.

Dport
01-21-07, 22:03
Sorry, Dport. I'll be more sensitive next time. I was just expanding on the OP's comment that there is no "pride of ownership" or "soul" in a Glock. I agreed with him even if you don't. My mistake.
I've been in the Navy now for 14 years. One thing I have learned is machines inherit the soul the owners instill in it. Ships inherit the spirit instilled in it by the crews who inhabit them. I've precommed a ship and watched it go from being an empty shell to "having a soul."

If someone has no "pride of ownership" in their weapon, how can they rely on it when they need it most? I have told my Sailors over and over again, if they take pride in their ship and take care of it, it WILL take care of them. It didn't matter if it was an aluminum can frigate or a gucci Aegis destroyer.

So basically, if your Glocks have no "soul" it is because you don't project the traits of a soul onto it like you do other weapons.

ETA: I've had armories full of Sigs, Berettas, M4s, M14s, Mossbergs, M60s, M2, and Mk19s, none of them struck me as having a soul either. FWIW

NickB
01-21-07, 22:12
I've been in the Navy now for 14 years. One thing I have learned is machines inherit the soul the owners instill in it. Ships inherit the spirit instilled in it by the crews who inhabit them. I've precommed a ship and watched it go from being an empty shell to "having a soul."

If someone has no "pride of ownership" in their weapon, how can they rely on it when they need it most? I have told my Sailors over and over again, if they take pride in their ship and take care of it, it WILL take care of them. It didn't matter if it was an aluminum can frigate or a gucci Aegis destroyer.

So basically, if your Glocks have no "soul" it is because you don't project the traits of a soul onto it like you do other weapons.

Very good point - that's something I haven't considered. It just seems to me that the Glocks I've owned and shot seem to be "cold", for lack of a better term. They do what they do, they do it well, but nothing more. Even my daily carry - a USP-C, seems to have more personality. I've never pinned down why Glocks have given me that impression, but you very well could be correct - it's my fault.

I hope to pick up a G26 soon as a daily carry. Hopefully things change.

Resq47
01-22-07, 01:37
I've nothing to add on the erratic ejection other than to suggest a long hearty break-in 'breakfast' for the G17. My G22 was pretty solid from round 1, and my G26 came pre-loved.

On the SSII, I preach the gospel on those too! When I was shopping for leather for my 1911 the typical response was get a Sparks followed by and make it a VersaMax. I picked up an undercurrent in favor of the SSII coming from users with really worn out (well-loved) SS holsters and went that route. The ONLY thing that gets me is when I wear kahkis and the loops don't line up like they do on the average Levis. If that's all I can complain about, the world is a good place ;)

I've found that Glocks get some spirit after banging in some real sights on the bench, getting simunitions paint into the deeper crevices in FoF, and after the first few sections of step tape wear smooth and get replaced. YMMV.

NickB - You should like the G26, it's my gun for when I don't want to carry a gun :D

Striker5
01-22-07, 06:20
Nick,

I took your comment for a sweeping pro- 1911 comment. I think I get what you mean now. I'm extending my hand toward the computer screen for a "soul" handshake. Coo?

I hope I'm wrong about my Glock. It needs some scratches and finish wear.

NickB
01-22-07, 10:16
Nick,

I took your comment for a sweeping pro- 1911 comment. I think I get what you mean now. I'm extending my hand toward the computer screen for a "soul" handshake. Coo?

:D We're cool. I don't even own a 1911. ;)

baffle Stack
01-22-07, 12:37
I've found that Glocks get some spirit after banging in some real sights on the bench, getting simunitions paint into the deeper crevices in FoF, and after the first few sections of step tape wear smooth and get replaced. YMMV.

The sights on the GLOCK are really easy to replace. IMO, sights and lots of magazines make for a happy GLOCK owner...oh and as much ammo as you can afford:D

Greenbean
01-22-07, 14:09
The only weird thing was an ejection pattern that sometimes put the brass back in my face.

My G21 does that but I think it depends on whats on my right and also above me.
It is a ricochet off of a wall or something else. :D

M4arc
01-22-07, 16:05
Nick,

NickB,

I did as well and that is why I edited your post on Page 1. My apologies if I took it out of context and again for not PMing you to discuss the matter.

- M4arc