PDA

View Full Version : Troy vs. Larue vs. Daniel Defense BUIS

sdcromer
06-15-09, 22:12
I am looking at the Troy fixed rear sight along with the Larue and the new Daniel Defense. I like the aperture in the Troy and the beefiness of the Larue and DD. Has anyone tried the Troy and how does it compare to the other two?

brianc142
06-15-09, 22:22
I'm not sure if I've ever seen one but I feel sure it's plenty durable if it's made by Troy. You can't go wrong with any of the ones listed though.

Left Sig
06-15-09, 22:31
The Troy looks funny. I like the DD design best, but LaRue is cool too. However, I wouldn't personally use the LaRue because I'm left handed and the QD lever is in a bad spot for me. You can get an XS Same Plane rear aperture if you don't like the A2 aperture in the DD or LaRue. I think you can order the LaRue that way if you like.

.45fmjoe
06-15-09, 22:45
I'm confused about the LaRue BUIS. It says it features a same plane aperture but then there is a drop down box that says "Same plane aperture +$25"

So.... what's the deal?

Left Sig
06-15-09, 22:53
I'm confused about the LaRue BUIS. It says it features a same plane aperture but then there is a drop down box that says "Same plane aperture +$25"

So.... what's the deal?

It comes standard with the A2 aperture. XS Same Plane is an option.

sdcromer
06-15-09, 23:11
I'm leaning toward the Daniel Defense right now and I've got an XS same plane aperture somewhere in my AR parts bin. AIM surplus has some really good photos of the DD on their website.

ROADKING
06-15-09, 23:14
Never had a problem with my troy, I like it alot so far,

rjacobs
06-16-09, 00:46
Now having a bit of trigger time behind the Troy(200 rounds or so) and the Daniel Defense(500 rounds or so) I can say I dont think you will find much of a difference between the two while shooting, it comes down to other features. The Troy has much much finer windage adjustments vs the Daniel Defense which I believe can make it(the Troy) more accurate. If you want a flip up go for the Troy, if you dont care about flip up go for the Daniel Defense. As far as build quality, they both rank right up at the top for BUIS, IMO at least. After shooting quite a bit with the Troy today it re-affirmed my decision to swap my Daniel Defense BUIS on my DD M4 with a Troy rear BUIS. For me, I am going to run an Aimpoint on the gun so a flip up BUIS is really the only way to go anyway.

seb5
06-16-09, 08:14
After shooting quite a bit with the Troy today it re-affirmed my decision to swap my Daniel Defense BUIS on my DD M4 with a Troy rear BUIS. For me, I am going to run an Aimpoint on the gun so a flip up BUIS is really the only way to go anyway.

Why? I run fixed with my Aimpoints and flip ups with magnified optics. It works well.

offgrid
06-16-09, 08:25
I too am looking at the above mentioned rear BUIS. It's between the DD and the Troy for me. Could someone please explain the same plane aperture to this noob. Thanks.

sdcromer
06-16-09, 08:50
A standard A2 aperture gives you a lower trajectory when you flip from the small to the large. With the same plane, both holes have the same center point and as a result the same bullet trajectory.

kyrin88
06-16-09, 08:56
anyone had experience with the larue? If so, how would you guys compare it to the MBUIS

rjacobs
06-16-09, 11:12
Why? I run fixed with my Aimpoints and flip ups with magnified optics. It works well.

Because thats how I want to setup my rifle. It may not be how you want yours setup, but its how I want mine setup.

I too am looking at the above mentioned rear BUIS. It's between the DD and the Troy for me. Could someone please explain the same plane aperture to this noob. Thanks.

Same plane was already explained, but just so you are aware the DD is not a same plane aperture site while the Troy is.

sdcromer
06-16-09, 12:01
Do you run the Troy folding or the fixed BUIS?

rjacobs
06-16-09, 12:04
Do you run the Troy folding or the fixed BUIS?

Folding Troy on one gun, fixed DD on my DDM4, but I am swapping it for a folding Troy.