PDA

View Full Version : Benelli Shotgun Problem Heeellp!

lanceriley
06-17-09, 10:17
I have a Benelli m3 shotgun w/ 18.5in barrel. Magazine tube is a 7rounder about 1in shorter than the barrel and it's a 1pc

my problem is that I can't remove the magazine tube for cleaning. Is there a special technique for this? or tool?

I need to remove it so i can clean it. my follower keeps on jamming time and time. is there another way to clean it w/out removing the tube?

or can somebody point me in the right direction?

WS6
06-17-09, 15:32
I have a Benelli m3 shotgun w/ 18.5in barrel. Magazine tube is a 7rounder about 1in shorter than the barrel and it's a 1pc

my problem is that I can't remove the magazine tube for cleaning. Is there a special technique for this? or tool?

I need to remove it so i can clean it. my follower keeps on jamming time and time. is there another way to clean it w/out removing the tube?

or can somebody point me in the right direction?

As far as I know you just remove the end cap and then the snap-ring keeper inside. That is how my M4 works. I am unsure how the M3 works, but try that?

Do you mean the follower is somehow wedging in the tube? How is this possible?

lanceriley
06-17-09, 17:24
do you have a picture of your end cap? mine doesn't have one. looks like the end of an m1. but m1 are 2 pc

Saginaw79
06-17-09, 17:56
There should be a screw cap at the fron of the HG, unscrew it but keep pressure on it and remove it, pull spring follower and end plug

lanceriley
06-17-09, 19:05
nope don't have 1

Buck
06-18-09, 11:02
nope don't have 1

Yes you do...

before you start ensure the weapon is unloaded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) remove the extension / barrel bracket

2) unscrew the extension

3) remove the spring and follower

4) check the magazine tube for obstructions and punch with rod / mop

5) reassemble

B

P.S. i see that you also posted this on the benelli forum....

lanceriley
06-18-09, 11:45
buck,

yep I did post it in the benelli forum. Im getting desperate here.:(

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/mryu78/P1060913.jpg

here's a pix of it. no extension. it's a 1pc. or am I wrong?

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/mryu78/P1060914.jpg

pix of front part. that's the shotshell block holder you see in front.

Saginaw79
06-18-09, 13:06
Remove the barrel/mag clamp

see that knurled round object forward of the sling mount ahead of the Handguards, that it, unscrew it but keep pressure on it as you do so it doesnt go flying when it comes undone

ETA it also appears to have the mag limiter installed, you can remove that once you get the tube off and have full capacity

DRich
06-18-09, 16:41
That's not a 1-piece tube. It also looks like you have a set screw holding the extension in place. You'll probably have to back it out a bit before you can unscrew the extension.

Saginaw79
06-18-09, 16:54
That's not a 1-piece tube. It also looks like you have a set screw holding the extension in place. You'll probably have to back it out a bit before you can unscrew the extension.

+1 good call!

Take the screw out then follow my instructions above

TOM1911
06-18-09, 17:21
buck,

yep I did post it in the benelli forum. Im getting desperate here.:(

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/mryu78/P1060913.jpg

here's a pix of it. no extension. it's a 1pc. or am I wrong?

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/mryu78/P1060914.jpg

pix of front part. that's the shotshell block holder you see in front.

Look carefully at the front of your extension tube, see the ring inside the tube... push carefully on the three shot block rod with a dowel rod and grasp the lock ring with your finger then, turn the ring sideways in the tube and remove the ring, then you will have releived the pressure on the tube enough to remove it by unscrewing it... and also, don't forget to remove the clamp first...;)

TOM1911
06-18-09, 17:24
+1 good call!

Take the screw out then follow my instructions above

Do not remove the set screw on the extension tube ring... you will launch the detent ball spring into low earth orbit... Carefully grab the ext. tube ring and turn ccw to remove as you are looking down at it. then you can remove the barrel and forend/ BCG

TOM1911
06-18-09, 17:30
The M-3 Super 90 is a one piece mag tube. The only way to remove the spring and follower is to unscrew the mag tube from the receiver... sorry.

WS6
06-18-09, 17:33
The M-3 Super 90 is a one piece mag tube. The only way to remove the spring and follower is to unscrew the mag tube from the receiver... sorry.

Oh snap :(

That means heat-gun time if it is anything like my M4S90.

Saginaw79
06-18-09, 18:18
Benelli's are getting to be more trouble than they are worth, between the ATF, sporting purposes and 922R we should just buy american...

lanceriley
06-18-09, 19:14
yep.. The knurled ring only holds the sling mount. if you remove that. out comes the sling mount.

Ok heat gun time. but take a look at the side view of the m3 s90. between the foregrip and the reciever. there is a plastic part. this guides the foregrip when in pump mode.

it is being held in place by the mag tube. If I heat the mag tube with a heat gun. Will I damage this part?

WS6
06-21-09, 14:15
Benelli's are getting to be more trouble than they are worth, between the ATF, sporting purposes and 922R we should just buy american...

LMAO :rolleyes:

lanceriley
07-02-09, 05:38
I got the tube out. I had to use a torch on the thread. they really were glued in place!

WS6
07-02-09, 13:09
I got the tube out. I had to use a torch on the thread. they really were glued in place!

Yep, I normally use a heat-gun to remove Benelli mag-tubes. A torch is a bit "aggressive". When it comes to mechanical things, my grandpa told me something when I was a teenager that has stuck with me to this day. He was helping me build my first car, and being the impatient kid I was, I wanted to know why I had to tighten the bolts by hand instead of using the air-wrench. I belive I was removing the intake manifolds, I don't recall. It isn't really important. Anyways, he told me. "Son, you can mess up a whole lot of stuff with impatients".

What do you know? The old man knew something! I have always tried to use the least aggressive approach first, when it comes to mechanical things. Yes it may take me longer than the next guy to do something, and no he may not break anything, but I feel that in the long run it pays off.

Anyways, glad you got the tube off, and just food for thought for next time. Besides, heat-guns don't require fuel, just electricity. Mine cost me a whopping $15 and Harbor Freight.

lanceriley
07-02-09, 18:39
actually we tried the heat gun first. woudn't come off! that's why we went with the torch.

assembling engines shoudn't be done using air wrenches. I know. Im in the business of reconditioning. Disassembly air wrench. assembly is manual.

WS6
07-02-09, 20:58
actually we tried the heat gun first. woudn't come off! that's why we went with the torch.

assembling engines shoudn't be done using air wrenches. I know. Im in the business of reconditioning. Disassembly air wrench. assembly is manual.

What color was the goo they used? The stuff they used on my M4 was an aqua color. Heat-gun got it, but it took patients.

lanceriley
07-02-09, 23:05
the color was white... and it was from the begining of the thread until the end. they put a lot!

WS6
07-03-09, 04:48
the color was white... and it was from the begining of the thread until the end. they put a lot!

Yeah, my M4's were caked in it too. Sounds like a different type of thread-locker though.

lanceriley
07-03-09, 05:17
yeah anyhow didn't put any thread locker when I putted it back. with the crush ring it was hard enough to screw in. I doubt it will move.

messed up my follower though. when it was jammed up... I kept un jamming it by pushing on the muzzle side of the mag tube. it rammed my frame while it was 6shells away... the force of it expanded it to 23.1 mm. Benelli's use 23mm followers or are all shotguns?

I have a lathe in the shop. I used tiger bronze. It's the same bronze that is use in a transmission synchronizer. followed a Nordic and Vang comp design. now it's smooooooth!