PDA

View Full Version : Holster for my Wife

woodandsteel
06-23-09, 14:42
Greetings everybody,

I am looking at a holster for my wife. My wife is expecting our third child. She just started her 2nd trimester. She works in the security field and is required to wear a sidearm, even when on light duty. Because of her being pregnant, wearing a belt holster is uncomfortable for her.

Her requirements are this. She is uniformed security, so concealment is not a necessity. The holster has to be black. In the past, her work has provided her with a nylon shoulder holster. She does not like these. This holster will be for an H&K USP .40 FS.

I was looking at this holster. It costs a lot, but appears to be a well made holster and can be modified later to accept other handguns. Being that it is leather, I would hope that it would become more comfortable over time. I experimented with the cheaper fake leather a while back and hated it.

Here it is;

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=2901&GunID=60

It's the Galco VHS Shoulder holster. Any of you guys have any experience with this holster? Is it worth the price tag?

CryingWolf
06-23-09, 21:38
Greetings everybody,

I am looking at a holster for my wife. My wife is expecting our third child. She just started her 2nd trimester. She works in the security field and is required to wear a sidearm, even when on light duty. Because of her being pregnant, wearing a belt holster is uncomfortable for her.

Her requirements are this. She is uniformed security, so concealment is not a necessity. The holster has to be black. In the past, her work has provided her with a nylon shoulder holster. She does not like these. This holster will be for an H&K USP .40 FS.

I was looking at this holster. It costs a lot, but appears to be a well made holster and can be modified later to accept other handguns. Being that it is leather, I would hope that it would become more comfortable over time. I experimented with the cheaper fake leather a while back and hated it.

Here it is;

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=2901&GunID=60

It's the Galco VHS Shoulder holster. Any of you guys have any experience with this holster? Is it worth the price tag?

I like the shoulder rigs that point the firearm straight back, they just seem a little easier to pull.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=2339&GunID=60

TOrrock
06-23-09, 22:28
The Galco vertical rig is a well made holster, but one thing that you should consider is that most women have a much higher waist, so the distance between her belt line and her under arm is going to be much shorter than yours (in general), so a vertical rig that might not be comfortable for her, it might very well jam the top of the holster up into her arm pit.

The horizontal holsters are usually much easier for women to wear, and don't rely on a belt either. The Miami Classic is a well made version.

woodandsteel
06-24-09, 04:47
Thank you to both of you, for your replies.

I never thought about this;

the distance between her belt line and her under arm is going to be much shorter than yours

Her superiors frown on the idea of a horizontal holster. They are concerned about the people at work being scared by the direction the gun is pointed. But, based on what you said, I think an argument can be made for the Miami Classic. My wife is only 5-04 at most, so a full sized H&K would be right up in her arm pit.

I'll have her try to pitch the horizontal holster to her boss.

Thanks again.

Beat Trash
06-24-09, 07:54
Look at the Galco "Miami Classic". I'm not a big shoulder holster fan, but this one is my favorite. Have had it for about 18 yrs.