PDA

View Full Version : Getting a CCW gun?

SoDak
06-25-09, 16:12
Recently I've been trying to fill any real gaps in my gun collection when I realized I don't have any real suitable CCW handguns(never really needed one out on the farm, always had a rifle). I thought maybe this should be my next purchase.

I've been considering a G19 since it looks like it looks concealable, but I big enough I can still shoot it often enough to get good with it. I handled a G26 and thought that it would be too small so I figure the G19 would be about right. Any comments on my choice? Also other than ammo and mags is there anything else my gun might need like a light or night sights? I'm pretty new to the idea of a CCW gun, so I thought I better get some solid advice.

Icculus
06-25-09, 16:18
Well, I don't want to speak for anyone but from reading other threads I believe alot of folks on here are going to say you made a wise choice. Heck, I'm not even a glock guy and I'll say you made a wise choice.

That being said, I don't know what everyone's feeling here are on Para but this is what I'm looking at for my next conceal gun down the road
http://www.paraord.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=58:)

citizensoldier16
06-25-09, 16:37
Lights on a CCW gun is really a matter of personal preference. The G19 will suit you just fine, as it is probably the most popular CCW gun on this site.

For weight and concealment issues, I do not carry a light on my G19. Rather, I carry a Surefire in my pocket for use if necessary.

A good holster is vital to the completion of a good CCW setup. Even the best rigs can be limited by the holster, so make sure you get one that you're comfortable with.

Slugger
06-25-09, 16:46
That's a great sized gun. I've tried to make myself a Glock guy but they just don't fit my hand. I carry an XD45c which seems to get some bad marks on this board but it works for me. The Glocks do take a beating and ask for more so its a great choice.
Slugger

Jerm
06-25-09, 17:47
My personal favorites by size(smallest to largest)...

M&P compact 9mm

Glock 19

M&P full size 9mm

I no longer own any Glocks but if i remember correctly...

The M&P compact is a little larger than the Glock 26.The full size M&P is a little larger than the Glock 19(smaller than the G17).I personally wouldnt go any larger or smaller than those listed.

The M&P is much more laser friendly(Crimson Trace).It played a role in my switching to M&P from Glock.Night sights and a laser are a must have for me on a handgun.A mounted light can be tricky for CC.If you can make it work they're great.

Icculus
06-25-09, 17:51
Any comments on my choice? Also other than ammo and mags is there anything else my gun might need like a light or night sights?

For validation of your choice I also thought you might appreciate this post
https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=357856&postcount=21

As for your other question I would say go on the night sights if that's your preference. If you like them I can't see where it would hinder, only help. On the light I would say no go. For the record I have never tried it so this is all opinion. I like a light on a house gun and if I was mil or le (I'm not) and it was acceptable to carry in a drop rig I would say yeah sure. For conceal carry (especially with an IWB holster) it seems like a lot to try and hide. Seems like it might be a pain in the ass both literally and figuratively.

Business_Casual
06-25-09, 18:19
I think you made a good choice.

As for advice, I would suggest you sign up for some training with a tier one outfit. The Training forum here has a wide range of locations and instructors from which to choose.

M_P

CLHC
06-25-09, 18:53
You simply cannot go wrong with the G.19 for concealed carry. The one I have has the Trijicon Night Sights and I find that it helps out some in low light/light deficient environments and I don't have the SF.X300 attached to it fulltime. :cool:

ST911
06-25-09, 20:47
G19 or G26: Recommended. Excellent choices.

Add a J-frame to the mix while you're at it. Enjoy.

rainman
06-25-09, 21:06
G19 or G26: Recommended. Excellent choices.

Add a J-frame to the mix while you're at it. Enjoy.

+1

I own a number of G19s...perfect balance IMO between shootability and concealability. One of my G19s will shortly be off to to be cut down to handle G26 mags.

J-frame with Crimson Trace grips in Kramer pocket holster for when temps are pushing triple digits.

Believe that the Smith M&Ps are well worth a look...they weren't available when I made the switch to "tupperware".

-Rainman

TOrrock
06-25-09, 21:12
Good choice. You should definitely get some night sights.

I have the standard Glock night sights on my 19, and they've performed well.

Trijicon, Meprolight, they're both good options that won't break the bank either.

Heinie Straight 8's, Warren, and 10-8 are excellent options.

ToddG
06-25-09, 22:05
Tne G19 is like a Ford truck. If you don't really want to do a lot of research and just want to buy something "blind" that you can trust to work right, you're fine just getting a Ford ... it will probably do everything you will ever need, even if you don't know what you need. If you do a lot of research, there's a decent chance you'll still end up picking a Ford.

Having said that, what features are you looking for? Choosing on size alone or even size & reputation isn't necessarily going to net you the best gun.

Given that you don't CCW often, how will you carry? The G19 might be plenty small or could be far too big depending on what you're going to wear, what holster (or other method) you'll be using, etc.

As for add-ons, I'd put night sights on any serious carry gun. For the light, it depends on a lot of things but for most people a dedicated mounted light and CCW don't go together. Still, I'd want to have a gun that was designed to mount a light either for as-needed use or when it had to serve as a nighttime/home gun.

trio
06-25-09, 22:14
whereas I love the G19...I have to say, its the least used Glock I own (and I should preface this by saying I own FIVE semi auto handguns...all 9mm Glocks)...

at any rate...what i've found...

in circumstances where deep concealment isn't a huge issue and I could carry a G19, I can just carry a G17 (which, I should also say, is my favorite Glock...and I'm a big guy, so a G17 conceals fine for me)

in circumstances when i need to go deeper concealment and would want a G19, a G26 works better for me...

which brings me to my next point...

if you are going to buy more than one, get a g17 and a g26...the 17 is a better "big gun" (better grip, longer barrel, higher capacity) and the 26 is a better deep concealment gun (smaller, shorter barrel, lighter, for some can be carried in a pocket...but it has to be a big pocket)

if you are going to have just one, the G19 admirably fills the role of both of those guns to the point where it will do 90-95% of what either of the other guns will do just as well...

Avenger29
06-25-09, 22:37
Welcome to CCW, and I'm new to it, too! Got my Glock 17 in today...

You need to throw on some good night sights, and you may want to add a Vickers Tactical extended mag release.

Spend some money on a good belt and holster. That's probably the most valuable piece of advice I have learned about CCW. I brought a Milt Sparks summer special 2 from Brownells (they keep them in stock, but it has not arrived yet) and I purchased a Ted Blocker belt because I got a tip they were often in stock, so an email verified this and my belt shipped and arrived promptly.

danpass
06-26-09, 00:05
I was never comfortable with my old G19 in the CCW role. Just never fit right for me (tried a couple of holsters).

Both a Commander and full size 1911 were more comfortable for me (primarily due to the thinness of the firearm)

Smith 642 was quite awesome actually, right in the front pocket.

South Florida limits CCW clothing a bit lol

FMF_Doc
06-26-09, 04:16
I cc my Sig226 in South Texas, year round, it's not that difficult to conceal with some effort.

I'd rather have a fullsize high capacity weapon available to me, I tried smaller guns but they just didn't seem adequate.

I'm 6 ft 220 lb.

Littlelebowski
06-26-09, 05:55
Umm, what does the G19 give up to the P226 in capacity, FMF? Not sure that the Sig is that much bigger either.

Bob Reed
06-26-09, 07:27
Hello,

I've been carrying for over 30 years and have found nothing, in a service-size platform, that carries or conceals as well as The Sleek & Classy Browning High Power or M1911 does.

Here's a Link to Browning's High Power Page: http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/family.asp?webflag_=007B

Here's the Link to FN's High Power Page:
http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=269&backPID=263&productID=74&pid_product=295&pidList=263&categorySelector=5&detail

ToddG
06-26-09, 09:35
Umm, what does the G19 give up to the P226 in capacity, FMF? Not sure that the Sig is that much bigger either.

G19, 15rd
P226, 15rd
(extended mags available for both)

The P226 is substantially longer at the muzzle, longer at the butt, and wider than the G19. Which isn't a slam on the P226, I carried one (or the nearly identical size P220) quite a bit while working at SIG.

I've been carrying for over 30 years and have found nothing, in a service-size platform, that carries or conceals as well as The Sleek & Classy Browning High Power or M1911 does.

Neither sleek nor classy are criteria I evaluate when selecting a weapon.

decodeddiesel
06-26-09, 10:15

Agree 110%. I don't really care what the gun looks like as it's concealed and no one should be seeing it. I want the gun which I am carrying on a daily basis to be comfortable so I wear it, 100% reliable so I know it will work if I need it, and I want something I know I can shoot very well.

I use an M&P9 Compact with Warren 2 dot sights. A Glock 19 or 26 were the other weapons I was looking at when I chose the M&P. My deciding criteria was the thumb safety on the M&P, but the G19 was very close second.

Bob Reed
06-26-09, 10:59
Me either, and I strongly suspect that you knew that I was simply just describing the pistol.

FMF_Doc
06-26-09, 23:18
For the Sig I carry the 17 rd mags, so I have 18 in the gun and 34 more on person carrying two extra mags.

Size wise the G19 is comparable, but the Sig is definitely bulkier, which I like for some reason. I like the heft of the pistol.

I tried the G19 and I didn't like the grip angle or overall feel of the pistol, It's a fine pistol and would serve great as a CC gun (I just don't like the polymer framed pistols).

I am more accurate and comfortable with the controls on the 226 and really love the decock lever.

9mmkungfu
06-27-09, 13:30
I have both a G19 and a G26. The G26 is a better carry piece. It's lighter and it will remain holstered nearly perpetually. Muzzle velocity between the two is negligible as well.

Keith E.
06-27-09, 15:21
1. When a cover garment is available it's a G-23 followed by a G-19 or G-30 when the 23 is getting a break. These are carried in a FLETCH owb holster.

2. When no cover garment is available it's a G-27 primarily followed by a G-26 or S&W 642. Working on getting some rounds downrange with a Kel-Tac P-9 to see if that makes it into the rotation. These are pocket carry pieces.

3. When I can't carry a pistol I use a Kel-Tec P-32, pocket carry.

+1 on night sights, pocket light, etc.

Good luck on your search.

Keith

Beat Trash
06-27-09, 19:25
I have been carrying a Glock 19 as a CCW/Off Duty gun since about 2001. Add your preference of night sights and I think it's good to go.

I have been carrying a M&P 9mm as an issued duty gun for almost 4 years now. Great gun.

I bought a M&P9c about two years ago, to use as an off duty gun. I really like it alot, but my Glock 19 still calls to me.

Off duty/CCW, I use kydex "Tuckable" type holsters, year round, to include the muggy summers in SW Ohio (currently 91 degrees with high humidity as I type this).

I have my little guns, a Glock 26, a S&W 642, and a Kahr PM9. Truth bbe told, I seldom use these, as I either use my Glock 19 or the M&Pc.

To the OP with the Glock 19, I'd suggest you get the night sights of your choice, a few extra magazines, alot of practice ammo, and some training classes.

We can burn up the internet debating what is the "Perfect CCW gun". I would offer that such a thing has yet to be invented.

The needs of the individual will dictate which guns best fit those needs. I would offer that the Glock 19 is one of the best CCW guns out there. Is it perfect for everyone? Of course not. But it would be hard to argue that it is a bad choice.

SoDak
08-18-09, 22:48
Bringing this thread back because I had some more questions. I finally got to handle a new G19 and to be honest I didn't care for the grip. It wasn't bad, but I just didn't care for how the fingers grooves position my fingers. Maybe I'll have to look at an M&P compact in 9mm. Is it that much smaller than a G19? Is there any other compact/subcompact pistols I should consider?

CaptainDooley
08-18-09, 23:24
I recently asked the same question - I actually decided to go with the full size M&P9 when I decide to go tupperware. The G19 basically sits right in between the two M&P9 sizes.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35039

SoDak
08-18-09, 23:49
I recently asked the same question - I actually decided to go with the full size M&P9 when I decide to go tupperware. The G19 basically sits right in between the two M&P9 sizes.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35039

Thanks for the help. I might have to look at a full size M&P9 as well. I might be able to conceal one since all I ever wear is jeans and t-shirts(currently I rarely have to wear dress clothes) and I am I fairly large person.

MSP "Sarge"
08-19-09, 16:03
Just wanted to throw into the coversation a small .45 acp. Anyone consider this option? Been giving this some heavy thought

SoDak
08-20-09, 11:54
Quick question about the M&P9. How can I tell if the gun has the mag disconect and internal lock? I don't want either of those and considering I was going to check one out at cabelas(have a $150 cash card there) who knows what model they would have. If the ones cabelas got have those features and provided I like it, maybe I'll just get one somewhere else.

CaptainDooley
08-20-09, 12:01
If I remember correctly Smith and Wesson has a listing of model numbers that correspond to the different safety/sight options available from the factory - you could print that out (or memorize the one you want) and compare that to whatever Cabela's has...

dookie1481
08-20-09, 17:48
Thanks for the help. I might have to look at a full size M&P9 as well. I might be able to conceal one since all I ever wear is jeans and t-shirts(currently I rarely have to wear dress clothes) and I am I fairly large person.

I'm damn near a midget and I easily conceal a full size M&P 9 in jeans and a t-shirt.

Jay

CaptainDooley
08-20-09, 17:52
I'd like to see a pic of you concealing the pistol next to a "You must be this tall to ride" sign to confirm midget status.

dookie1481
08-20-09, 22:41
I'd like to see a pic of you concealing the pistol next to a "You must be this tall to ride" sign to confirm midget status.

LMAO that would be pretty funny

Alpha Sierra
08-21-09, 18:55
Quick question about the M&P9. How can I tell if the gun has the mag disconect and internal lock? I don't want either of those and considering I was going to check one out at cabelas(have a $150 cash card there) who knows what model they would have. If the ones cabelas got have those features and provided I like it, maybe I'll just get one somewhere else.
Those that do not have the magazine disconnect have the following statement engraved on the right side of the slide: "CAUTION - CAPABLE OF FIRING WITH MAGAZINE REMOVED".

Those that do not have the internal lock will have a metallic plug covering up the hole where the lock would go on the left side of the frame just fwd of the tang. There is a clockwise arrow and the letter L right over the lock hole.

Both my fullsize and compact M&Ps have neither feature, nor the external safety which I consider redundant.

oldtexan
08-21-09, 21:46
Also other than ammo and mags is there anything else my gun might need like a light or night sights? .

I believe that you can certainly carry a concealed handgun with attached light; you just have to pick the right gear. I carry a G34 with a Surefire X400 and attached Surefire DG-11 remote switch in a Raven Concealment Systems Phantom Light-compatible holster. I've got the holster set up as IWB (1.75" loops) on a Galco leather 1.75" belt, but it can also be used as an OWB belt holster. This rig is a comfortable way IMO to carry a gun and light (and in this case a laser too) together. There is some sweat buildup under the holster on an August day here in Texas, though.

I also carry a Surefire handheld light (C2L) as a searching/general illumination tool and impact weapon; IMHO the weaponlight only comes into play after I've detected and ID'd a threat and am ready to engage. In order of importance, I'd rank a handheld light ahead of a weapon-mounted light. I haven't yet figured out where I think night sights and lasers are in this hierarchy of importance, but I have and use both. It does seem that lasers are getting more useful as I age (I'm 55) and my presbyopia advances. Good quality training that helps you build the skills that you need in your particular situation is more important than the lights, lasers or night sights, IMHO.

Blade Tech and Comp-Tac also make concealment holsters that accommodate various gun/light combinations. Having used multiple holsters from all three makers over the last few years, I favor Raven. They are very sturdy and very modular in terms of how you attach the holster to the belt. Also Raven seems to offer holsters for a broader variety of guns and lights than the other two companies.