PDA

View Full Version : Glock trig safety

bkb0000
06-28-09, 15:30
New glock 17 owner- first glock, first 9

does anyone one else HATE the trigger safety?

i finally decided to go glock after shooting a 19 a couple months ago.. i put a few hundred rounds through the thing, and realized i'd been an idiot for not investigating glock sooner.. loved that 19.

i dig everything about my 17, except the trig safety digs into my finger. it doesn't hurt exactly, but it sticks up 1/32" on a squeezed trigger, and i hate it the longer i have it. does get tender after a couple hundred rounds. totally messes with my trigger control, and diverts my attention. i'm sure i can train this out of the equation, but i'd rather cut it out of the equation. i'm considering taking a little material off it, just to get it closer to flush. am i asking for disaster? is this something that's done? are there better aftermarket trigs i can use? trigs with NO safety, maybe? or will i just get used to it and not care after a while?

being a 1911 guy, it's hard enough to remember the trig needs more than a light tap.. add the funkiness of the trig safety, and i'm way distracted.

markm
06-28-09, 15:41
Odd...

I don't even notice it. I don't remember noticing it when I wised up and switched from the 1911 to the glock either. :confused:

rat31465
06-28-09, 15:46
I have nearly the opposite issue than what you stated here.
The 17 shoots comfortably for me but the 19 rubs blisters across the top of my shooting hand after a short time.

MarshallDodge
06-28-09, 15:46
I don't get the reason for the trigger safety, but then again, I am just a stupid 1911 shooter. :p

bkb0000
06-28-09, 15:47
Odd...

I don't even notice it. I don't remember noticing it when I wised up and switched from the 1911 to the glock either. :confused:

i dont remember noticing it with the 19, either. perhaps i should post a pic... i'll get one up this evening.

bkb0000
06-28-09, 15:49
I don't get the reason for the trigger safety, but then again, I am just a stupid 1911 shooter. :p

indeed.. if someone respectable makes a trig with no safety, i think i'll begin my Glock Life with no trig safety.

are these available? i did a couple internet searches and didn't immediately find anything

Heavy Metal
06-28-09, 15:56
Do a little more outside work and your hands will toughen-up and you will not notice it.

The only Glock related ouchie I got was with my cold-wet hands at Dave Penningtons CC class in Feb.

It was the end of winter when I had not done much outside work in a while. The arch on the backstrap caused a 'slight' tender spot on my palm by the end of day two.

Took hundreds of rounds to do this.

Right now, I have been working in the garden all summer and my hands are tough.

bkb0000
06-28-09, 16:08
i'm a construction contractor, and, right now, am my own forman- my hands ain't girly.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/83/l_b8be5b27e9bd41b28bab247daf31ff7d.jpg
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/93/l_206943343cfb473fb80fb818868acf84.jpg

Mark71
06-28-09, 16:16
The 17 shoots comfortably for me but the 19 rubs blisters across the top of my shooting hand after a short time.

This is my only issue with Glock triggers which is due to the serrated triggers on the Glock 19 (as well as the other mid-sized and compact Glocks). I replace the serrated trigger with a fullsize smooth trigger w/trigger bar on my 19's.

Heavy Metal
06-28-09, 16:17
If it bothers you that much, why not just file it flush with the trigger face?

bkb0000
06-28-09, 16:29

word.. that's the main reason for this thread

i'm considering taking a little material off it, just to get it closer to flush. am i asking for disaster? is this something that's done?

Heavy Metal
06-28-09, 16:45
The absolute worst that will happen if you remove too much is the trigger safety will not fully disengage.

Rinse, lather, repeat. If you fubar it, get another.

CoryCop25
06-28-09, 16:51
I don't recommend filing it flush. If the safety doesn't disengage, the weapon will not fire. It's like not having a good grip on the beaver tail on your 1911. The trigger safety is designed so the trigger will not move unless a finger is on it. My suggestion is to replace the trigger and trigger bar assembly or replace it with a G19 trigger and trigger bar assembly. Full size Glocks have smooth triggers and compacts have serrated (import regulations). Also try to put less finger on the trigger (just the tip). :D

bkb0000
06-28-09, 17:29
pulled the trig, stuck it in my detail vice, and zipped it plain with a dremmel. deburred with a razor blade

problem fixed

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/103/l_a5034e100bf1436ca600634eb31e3815.jpg
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/109/l_5a9472ad89024c72945a8f07010dc69a.jpg

i'd still be interested to know if non-safety glock trigs exist, and if that's something that's done.

bkb0000
06-28-09, 17:34
I don't recommend filing it flush. If the safety doesn't disengage, the weapon will not fire. It's like not having a good grip on the beaver tail on your 1911. The trigger safety is designed so the trigger will not move unless a finger is on it. My suggestion is to replace the trigger and trigger bar assembly or replace it with a G19 trigger and trigger bar assembly. Full size Glocks have smooth triggers and compacts have serrated (import regulations). Also try to put less finger on the trigger (just the tip). :D

too late. this was my immediate concern, but now that i've done it i can see no problems.. trig goes back no matter where i put my finger on it, what angle i come in at, etc. doesnt even come close to hanging up.

CoryCop25
06-28-09, 18:22
I see from your pics that you filed it in the closed position so that may work out fine. I inspected my G22 and mine went flush when I pressed the trigger unlike the picture in your original post. I can only assume there was a manufacturer flaw in your trigger safety. Keep an eye on it though, if it hangs up or doesn't engage the safety, replace it. You don't want to bet you life on a Dremmel quick fix.

CoryCop25
06-28-09, 18:24
[QUOTE=
i'd still be interested to know if non-safety glock trigs exist, and if that's something that's done.[/QUOTE]

Glock does not have one nor do they recommend it. I have never seen anything of the sort in the aftermarket.

ToddG
06-28-09, 23:26

The G19 comes stock with a serrated trigger, the G17 with a smooth trigger. Many people prefer the smooth, and luckily the G17 trigger mechanism -- available just about anywhere online -- drops right in to the G19.

Without the trigger safety, a drop from an adequate height directly onto the back of the gun could result in an accidental discharge. The gun hits the ground, the trigger keeps moving rearward under its own momentum, bang. With the trigger safety, the gun would have to fall in two directions simultaneously, which obviously cannot happen.

While the OP apparently succeeded in doing this, I'd recommend against it. If the safety lever wears or otherwise fails to engage properly in the future, the gun will not fire. I'd never make a modification like that to a gun I was going to use for duty/defense type work.

bkb0000
06-28-09, 23:49
i seriously doubt i'm going to have any problems with it.. i suspect something was a bit out of tollerance, either the trig or the safety. either way, the safety still cinches up entirely- i didn't take anything off it's overall travel. still pivots all the way up and tops off, the only difference is it doesn't dig in my finger anymore.

i can tell, by doing a number of dry drills with it today, and carefully observing function, that it's not any more likely to cause problems that it was before. naturally i intend to put several hundred rounds through it in the next day or two just for GP, but i'm sure it will run fine- even only partially depressing it with my finger at an angle, the trigger still goes back. it would have to wear at least 1/2 its current thickness to fail.

miserai
06-29-09, 00:30
got a brand new 17 on saturday and my trigger was the same way, i checked and all of the glocks that were in the store i work at were the same way too, i think that's just the way they've been coming lately.

tpd223
06-29-09, 02:35
THe only issue I have seen with G17 trigger safeties is sometimes they have a rough mold mark type of edge on the front which rubs the shooter.

I have de-burred with an Exacto knife and solved the problem for the shooter, never had to take any meat off of the lever, nor would I for reasons stated above.

The lever is a requirement, I wouldn't want a non-safety trigger on my Glocks.

ToddG
06-29-09, 09:20
The main issue you can run into if you trim the lever -- which may or may not matter to the OP -- is that if you are wearing gloves the trigger safety lever may not be long enough because a certain amount of its length will press into the glove when you pull the trigger.

A large state police agency had a Glock malfunction during an actual OIS last year, and the official cause was reported as the Trooper's glove. Even though he had a stock trigger and safety lever, it was determined that the agency's issued gloves were so thick and malleable that you could be pressing the trigger but the trigger safety lever wouldn't actually move, so the gun wouldn't go off.