PDA

View Full Version : Brand new HK P30L issues, range report

Pappabear
06-30-09, 16:30
I just bought a HK45 and HK P30L. Bought a box of Magtech blue box range ammo for each and ran into the range to have a little fun. The 45 shot great, no malfunctions PERFECT. Loved it. Felt great in the hand, just as expected.

The P30 L, 9mm long slide had issues. With one mag it stove piped about every three to five shots So I went to the car and grabbed the other mag after this continued. The other mag ran fine, (I could feel much greater spring pressure) but would not lock back after last round. Any experience or feedback appreciated

Business_Casual
06-30-09, 16:52
How much lube is on it? Is the mag brand new in box? Is the pistol NIB as well?

M_P

Pappabear
06-30-09, 17:22
New in box, a little lube, not much. The 45 was wetter, more well oiled than the 9mm?
Both NIB.

mourneblade
06-30-09, 17:32
When I first got my P30 I had problems in the first 200 or so rounds. Having had time to reflect on it I think I didn't clean all the storage grease off the gun, plus I was using light rounds initially(115gr. UMC). Perhaps the recoil spring needed some breakin too. During this initial period I never had problems with any hollowpoints I tried, only the UMC. After this period I've only had one malfunction in around 4K rounds.

jdavis6576
06-30-09, 19:31
My P30 had similar issues at first, user error. Be sure to clean it well and lube it good. Then shoot some hot rounds through it and it'll loosen up just fine.

Congrats on the two pick-ups!

Pappabear
06-30-09, 23:23
I just checked it out, the guide rod was dry and even little rusty looking. Hit it with oil and put some drops down the rails. I'm going to put 100 rounds of Winchester white box through it tomorrow and another box of whatever I can find.

It probably needs oil and 200 rounds. I'll give range report tomorrow night. Thanks guys.

ToddG
07-01-09, 10:08
In my experience, Euro 9mm guns (with the exception of Glocks) really benefit from 100-200 NATO/+p rounds first thing down the barrel. It's not a necessity but it tends to minimize both early problems and potential hiccups down the road.

Definitely clean & lubricate the pistol per the manual. Until you've done that, you can't even start to guess why a gun might be having problems.

If the slide isn't locking back, it's more likely than not your grip style. Be sure no part of either hand is contacting the slide release lever during recoil. You may want/need to change which grip panel you put on the left side to help with this.

Weak magazine springs often result in stovepipes. The top round in the magazine sags, giving the extracted casing more room to bounce around rather than getting ejected right out the port. If that problem persists with the one mag, I'd call HK USA and get a new spring.

Pappabear
07-01-09, 17:13
I was able to find 50 rounds of +p ammo today. So much for reducing ammo cost. Great point about the slide release and my thumb. Did not get a chance to shoot today. Will pop off 150 or so rounds tomorrow. Whats the current thinking on Lube with the gun. I use some Lube on my 1911 barrel and a few other areas. Does HK suggest using any Lube or just "Earl".

ToddG
07-01-09, 17:25
Your manual points out the specific spots where lubrication is suggested.

Any lubricant intended for use on a firearm should work. Obviously, some work better/longer than others.

Pappabear
07-01-09, 17:43
Todd, I was trying to figure out if I use Lube or Oil or it does not matter. Do you HK guys use any lube, (I have the Wilson Combat Lube and Smith Enterprises lube for my M1A) and gallons of Hoppes oil and Rem Oil. Whatever it takes to get the gun to cycle properly. Time will tell, or Time, $$$, and ammo will tell.

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-01-09, 17:43
I always use whatever is cheap. Usually Rem-oil or break free.

ToddG
07-01-09, 18:02
I use Militec. It's kept many of my guns -- Berettas, Glocks, Smiths, SIGs -- running for thousands of rounds at a time between cleaning/lubing. I'm sure there are plenty of lubricants out there that work great, but Militec has done the job for me for almost a decade.

Pappabear
07-02-09, 01:56
As previously stated: Cleaned and lubed my P30. Took it to the range, first clip second shot, "stovepipe". And that was the last one. I ran another 100 rounds through of cheap whitebox Win ammo. Functioned perfect. Should have known, what a relief. I watched my thumb, and it locked back every time. My HK45, just rocked on. Lesson learned "for the second time- Clean-lube and run 100 rounds before passing judgement. I went through this with a Tactical XD 40. Now it runs great.

Thanks for the reminder fellows.

JonInWA
07-02-09, 08:03
I'd strongly suggest putting at least 500 more rounds downrange with it, followed by at least one box of your carry ammunition of choice before trusting it for anything other than range use, particularly given its history to date with you.

Best, Jon

gtmtnbiker98
07-02-09, 09:32
I just picked up a P30L a few days ago and certainly hope that I don't experience any of these issues. This will make my third P30, my other two are regular V3 P30s that I use for IDPA. I've already started working the recoil spring by working the slide a few hundred times. I'm taking mine out tomorrow (Friday) for a couple hundred rounds. Only hope that it behaves as well as the other two. I've read about more than few issues with the long slide P30s.

ToddG
07-02-09, 09:39
I concur with JonInWA's comment. I would not consider 98 failure-free rounds an adequate test of a gun that has shown reliability issues. While you're very likely correct and the problem has worked itself out, my personal standard is 200 rounds of carry ammo through the gun.

Pappabear
07-02-09, 17:08
I will run several hundred more rounds through it. And a box of +P ammo. I bought it for my sons ( 10 and 12) because my 45's are a bit much for them now. But I still don't need or want it jamming every mag, especially when I just shelled out a grand! I have some old favorites that get the "Home defense and Carry" designations. The P30 still has much to prove.

JonInWA
07-02-09, 17:29
Be prepared to be deluged by requests of forum members for you to adopt them!

Best, Jon

Pappabear
07-02-09, 17:36
Biker98, I see where you like to work the slide to assist in the break in procedure. Do others concur with this process to augment the normal range time? Is there any negative effects with dry firing the HK P30L or HK45? I do like dry fire drills, especially since these are my first two DA/SA triggers. I have only 1911's and XD's.

Pappabear
07-02-09, 17:38
JoninWA,

It took me a while to understand your comment. I kept reading it then the light came on. LOL Funny as Sh*@.

Business_Casual
07-02-09, 17:56
Use snap caps - they are cheap insurance for that expensive German firing pin.

In fact, my LEM HK manual said not to dry fire.

Which begs the question... have you read the manual?

M_P

HK45
07-04-09, 18:32
Thats what happened with me with the P30L. I don't have this issue with the regular P30. I tried to train myself to not block the slide release but could not do it consistently plus felt like I was changing my grip too much for this one pistol. I reluctantly sold the P30L. As much as I like the newer HK's I've settled in to M&P's more. I find them to be a remarkable pistol for the price.

If the slide isn't locking back, it's more likely than not your grip style. Be sure no part of either hand is contacting the slide release lever during recoil.

HK45
07-04-09, 18:42
I don't think much of Rem Oil, too thin and just not a very good lubricant. There are lots of good ones out there. Militec, SLIP 2000, Weapon Shield, for example. I personally don't care for any kind of CLP since i have yet to see one that holds up well for lubing, protectant or cleaning. i find individual products do a much better job than a jack of all trades and master of none. The only exception is that Breakfree is a pretty good protectant but thats all I like about it. For grease TW-25b is good stuff and Brian Enos slide glide. I used to use grease a lot on 1911's but stopped doing so awhile back. Just didn't seem necessary with all the good lubes out there. There are about as many threads on peoples favorite cleaners and lubes as there are on 9mm vs. 45 so you will get a lot of opinions. Your climate will play a role in this too. If you live in the desert southwest you won't use the same thing as if you lived in South Carolina.

Todd, I was trying to figure out if I use Lube or Oil or it does not matter. Do you HK guys use any lube, (I have the Wilson Combat Lube and Smith Enterprises lube for my M1A) and gallons of Hoppes oil and Rem Oil. Whatever it takes to get the gun to cycle properly. Time will tell, or Time, $$$, and ammo will tell.