PDA

View Full Version : Sights for HK45 or P30L?

Pappabear
07-06-09, 14:20
I like the factory sights OK, but would prefer some TFO's or Trijicons....

Has anyone changed "just the front sight" to a better night sight to their satisfaction? What is the best set up for my HK's. Any watch outs?

Thanks HK shooters.

loupav
07-06-09, 15:08
I put some straight-8's on mine.

http://www.heinie.com/hksights.php

Pappabear
07-06-09, 15:54
Those look good and price seems reasonable. I do not have any str8 8's Did you have them instal them? If so, did you have to sight them in after getting them back? thanks

loupav
07-06-09, 15:57
I bought the sight separately and installed them myself. Very simple to put them on. But I haven't shot it yet.

If you'd like, I'll post a pic. After all I was playing around with my camera last night.

loupav
07-06-09, 16:08
Since I had a few minutes.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/loupav/CIMG2637.jpg

HK45
07-06-09, 16:35
I like those big blocky standard sights myself but a tritium front sight would be nice. There is a company that replaces the day glo original sights with tritium inserts and I'm sure they would do just the fronts if you wanted them to. Their name escapes me though..perhaps someone else could fill that in?

It is surprising that there are still not many night sight options for this pistol given the amount of time it has been out.

Mark71
07-06-09, 16:39
I like those big blocky standard sights myself but a tritium front sight would be nice. There is a company that replaces the day glo original sights with tritium inserts and I'm sure they would do just the fronts if you wanted them to. Their name escapes me though..perhaps someone else could fill that in?

Tool Tech -
http://www.tooltechgunsight.com/

They do excellent work and offer a quick turn around time

ToddG
07-06-09, 20:51
I like the factory sights OK, but would prefer some TFO's or Trijicons....

Trijicon, Meprolight, and Heinie are the only three companies making P30/HK45 night sights to the best of my knowledge.

I put some straight-8's on mine.

Heinie's for me, as well.

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/p30-heinie-sightpicture.jpg
(the orange on the front sight was a DIY job, obviously)

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/p30-heinie-set.jpg

I like those big blocky standard sights myself but a tritium front sight would be nice.

Different strokes, as they say. I find the factory P30 sights subpar.

There is a company that replaces the day glo original sights with tritium inserts and I'm sure they would do just the fronts if you wanted them to. Their name escapes me though..perhaps someone else could fill that in?

ToolTech, as Mark71 pointed out. It's essentially the same company as Trijicon.

Pappabear
07-07-09, 02:28
Thanks guys and keep it coming. All alternatives look fine. But the price of the straight 8's wins for me so far. I shot my 45 quite a bit this weekend, really have started to get a feel for the grip. HK did a nice job on the ergonomics. Ordered a Blade tech holster last night. When I get those sights done, I'll be set!

TAZ
07-07-09, 19:56
Not a whole lot of options when it comes to aftermarket accessories for the HK...sadly. If you're in a hurry you can just black out the rear sight with matte black krylon. Not the best but it does draw your eyes to the front. I ended up with the Heine straight 8's once they came available. Only negative was that I had to spend some quality time on McMaster-Carr looking for some shorter set screws. Mine stuck out like crazy above the sight. Aside from that they were great sights.

Serpico1985
07-07-09, 21:03
How did you do that oragne on the front sight? What kind of paint did you use?

Thanks.

ToddG
07-07-09, 21:36
Just a paint pen I found at a hobby shop.

Pappabear
07-07-09, 23:53
I sent my upper to have Heinie straight 8's installed. $77.00 for sights and installation. I sent them an email to ask how accurate they were in instals. The response was " no complaints in change of POI".

If I like them, I will have the P30L done as well. I may try the blank rear and tritium front. I kinda like that look as well.

Savior 6
07-08-09, 01:15
Heinie straight 8's installed. $77.00 for sights and installation. ?

Now that's reasonable. I misunderstood their site and thought it was $77.00 for installation and shipping only.

Pappabear
07-08-09, 10:06
I know, because many gun and accessory companies have these overnight for $60.00 shipping charges etc. I had to read it many times to confirm. I'll give a report on their turn time and work when I get it back. If they are quick, I could have it by Sat. or Monday. Depends how long it sits on their work bench.

mourneblade
07-08-09, 12:18
I sent both my HKs off to Heine, he's very fast if he has your sight in stock. Very easy to deal with.

loupav
07-08-09, 13:02
I was thinking of sending my HK slides to Heine. But I don't trust UPS. They've lost too many of my packages.

mourneblade
07-08-09, 13:05
I was thinking of sending my HK slides to Heine. But I don't trust UPS. They've lost too many of my packages.

I paid for insurance.

Pappabear
07-08-09, 19:09
Insurance was a few bucks. Write clearly, clear tape over label and proper stamp, the post office does a good job too. UPS does not lose much. Never heard that one.

Mate
07-09-09, 10:28
I wish they would come out with the ledge version of the straight eights. Slants do me no good.

I really wish Warren would come out with a set for the HK45/P30.

loupav
07-10-09, 00:58
Insurance was a few bucks. Write clearly, clear tape over label and proper stamp, the post office does a good job too. UPS does not loose much. Never heard that one.

I guess I just have bad luck. And by the way, I was the recipient of all the packages lost. Including one from SureFire. I suppose I'll just shut up and ship it FEDEX.

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-10-09, 10:11
My preferred setup would be to black out the rear sight with a pen and have tool-tech put a trit bulb in the front sight. That way you don't have to roll the dice on a new POI. After you get the trit bulb installed paint the entire front blade in green luminescent paint (but mask the dot). Then you have the best of all worlds (IMHO).

loupav
07-11-09, 01:19
I called Heinie today and they are ou of HK sights for about 8 weeks. :rolleyes:

Pappabear
07-11-09, 01:24
I am going to be so pissed if they are eight weeks out?

loupav
07-11-09, 11:38
Let me know if you hear anything different.

Pappabear
07-11-09, 18:36
will do. I sent them an email asking "when".

Savior 6
08-04-09, 17:19
Pappabear I hope you get them soon. I know that I would hate to be w/o my HK45 considering it is one of my "go to" guns.

Mark71
08-04-09, 21:35
I sent an email to Heinie yesterday (before even seeing this thread) and was told that the HK sights are at least 12 weeks out. Hopefully they will be in sooner.

Pappabear
08-05-09, 17:00
Even though I had my issues with them on pricing, they found a set for me and got my gun back prompt. Another thread dealt with the pricing issue, so please do not ask.
The sights are nice.