PDA

View Full Version : New Gear Alert...The FNP-45 USG...

SteyrAUG
07-08-09, 01:27
OK, at first glance it appears to be just another of the plastic fantastic high capacity polymer handguns of the HK and Glock tradition. And many are already familiar with the standard FN P series which is based upon a previous Browning handgun. But the USG variant, with the manual safety is what finally made me decide I had to have one.

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/4231/00000000206.jpg

The really nice thing about this is it is a high capacity 45 DA that like a USP has both a decocker and can be carried cocked and locked like a 1911. And it has a capacity of 15+1 or 14+1 if you are using the flat floorplate magazines. Comes standard with (1) 15 round and (2) 14 round magazines.

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/2482/00000000208.jpg

The controls are similar to those encountered on SIG and HK handguns and most shooters will adapt to them rather quickly. Like the USP the rear lever is both a decocker and a manual safety.

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/2399/00000000209.jpg

The other nice thing is most controls are ambidextrous. The slide stop, safety lever and magazine release are found on the rights side as well for left handed shooters. Only the take down lever is not ambi.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/3388/00000000210.jpg

Now this is a rather large handgun, of course large is relative when we are talking about .45, especially high capacity .45 handguns. It is very similar to a full size HK USP 45 handgun in terms of size.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/3628/00000000211.jpg

Here it is compared to a full size Colt 1911 and Sig P220 handgun. About the same size but with almost twice the magazine capacity.

So if you ever wanted a full size high cap .45 with lots of features in the "cost more than a Glock but not as much as a SIG" price range, this one just might be for you.

loupav
07-08-09, 09:51
I've shot one a few months ago. I was impressed. I think it's a excellent weapon. It felt good in the hands and recoil was soft. I'd love to have one. Along with a box car full of .45 ACP ammo!

Congrats on the new gun. Shoot it in good health.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-08-09, 12:30
The gun was assembled by "W"? Good to see he found a job.

I played with one in the store, but I forgot how the safety/decocker works. You are cocked and locked and you go to press down the safety halfway and it unlocks, more and it decocks?

The problem I have with these DA/SA guns with safeties is that you get the crappy trigger of a DA/SA with the extra step of a safety.

How is the trigger? Those things are a beast. A real Combat, bludgeon them to death when the slide locks back kind of gun. How do you like the stippling? I thought it was pretty aggessive.

HK45
07-10-09, 10:28
"The problem I have with these DA/SA guns with safeties is that you get the crappy trigger of a DA/SA with the extra step of a safety."

Exactly. There was a single action version of this pistol when it first came out but it was discontinued for some reason.

M&P45
07-10-09, 16:30
"The problem I have with these DA/SA guns with safeties is that you get the crappy trigger of a DA/SA with the extra step of a safety."

Exactly. There was a single action version of this pistol when it first came out but it was discontinued for some reason.

I think you are missing the point. With the manual safety you can carry it cocked an locked like a SA auto. In that condition the first trigger pull will be SA. I like the DA/SA with safety as it gives you options of carry condition.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-10-09, 19:35
What I was trying to convey is that even is SA mode a DA/SA-safety gun does not run like a nice 1911 SA gun. Now that is pretty big hurdle, I understand.

Also, no one answered, but does the control go from Safe-Fire-Decock? I know I would decock about half the time. That is why I was thinking if I didn't go a traditional SA platform, I like a DAO trigger with a safety, which is what an M&P would be like correct? A heavy but crisp DAO with a safety gets closet to the best of both worlds.

SteyrAUG
07-29-09, 00:06
What I was trying to convey is that even is SA mode a DA/SA-safety gun does not run like a nice 1911 SA gun. Now that is pretty big hurdle, I understand.

Also, no one answered, but does the control go from Safe-Fire-Decock? I know I would decock about half the time. That is why I was thinking if I didn't go a traditional SA platform, I like a DAO trigger with a safety, which is what an M&P would be like correct? A heavy but crisp DAO with a safety gets closet to the best of both worlds.

It's pretty much exactly like a HK USP. Take it level and it is no longer safety ON. Take it all the way down and it decocks the hammer.

Never in 15 years of shooting a USP have I accidentally decocked one taking it OFF safe and I can't imagine anyone doing it with the FN.

As for the trigger, it's almost identical the the HK. Not as nice as my SIG but way better than my Beretta and the SA trigger pull is nicer than my Glock. Recoil isn't all that bad.

My only complaint is loading those mags are a bastard. Stiffest magazine springs I've ever met. Reminded me of loading Luger mags.

kmrtnsn
07-29-09, 00:09
Too bad FN no longer offers the DAO. If they still had a DAO or offered a LEM equivalent I'd snatch one up in a heartbeat.