PDA

View Full Version : Whats your feeling on a Keltec PF9 or P3AT?

.357sigger
07-11-09, 17:39
I am looking for something small and thin for discreet CC. My local dealer has both for 260 out the door and I could probably talk him down some more or sweeten the deal some how. What do you guys think of each...is one better than the other? What is your opinion of the Keltecs? I am leaning towards the 9mm just because of the ammo price/availability/and it packs more punch than a .380. I know a lot of guys love those P3AT's. Anyone with some knowledge?

mashed68
07-11-09, 19:48
I've been planning on getting a PF9. They are very slim which I need in the summer in phoenix [I print easy]. Evenone I've talked to said even if the gun isen't 100% kel-tec customer service is top notch and will make it right. I figure why not give it a try for the price?

Mark/MO
07-11-09, 21:40
I've had a P3AT for about 8-9 months. I'd wanted an LCP but they were impossible to find. I came upon a great deal on the Keltec and decided at the price I would try it. So far it's ran great. I have about 400 rounds through it. The P3AT looks homely (IMO), shoots to point of aim and feeds everything I run through it. It slips in a pocket and proves to be the gun I can carry when I can't "carry".

If you search the forums it sounds very hit and miss on Keltecs. Some love them like children and others hate them. I guess I fall in the middle. My total experience with Keltec is exactly one so take it for what it's worth.

VTLO910
07-11-09, 21:58
My wife has one, although I got more rounds through it then her...

I don't like it but the size is good for a BUG (Back Up Gun)...

Hurts my hand to shoot it, but if its a back up, I guess who cares...

I know some folks who have them and NEVER had a problem with them...

Others have an issue, send them off to the factory and then are usually fixed after that...

Mine Sucks, I have a mis-fire every few rounds... CLICK, No-BOOM... :(

So I will never carry it for lack of reliability factor...

To each there own...

I'd imagine the Ruger version would be a better quality/performer...

Buckaroo
07-11-09, 23:42
I had two P3ats and both were dependable. I sold the last one when I decided I wanted a 9mm pocket gun rather than a .380 (ammo price and availability did have an influence on my decision too).

I liked the size of the P3at and it shot well enough but was not comfortable and I barely shot it enough to stay proficient. I even added an Armalaser to it some months before I sold it off.

After deciding I wanted 9mm pocket gun I found a used Kahr PM9 at the LGS and feel I got a pretty good deal (some times they are Ok on price other times not).

I am very satisfied with the Kahr. It has functioned without complaint with every type of ammo I have tried. I like to shoot it and it carries great. Not a super compact like the P3at but much better than the G27 I had or the M&P compact I have.

So, if you want a Kel Tec I say go for it (I would give the PF9 a ride personally) and see how it works for your purpose. I had good luck with them but in the end decided that I wanted something a little bigger and easier to shoot.

Buckaroo

.357sigger
07-12-09, 18:49
Well I am going to go with the pf9...anyone else have experience with one? How about a good place for extra mags?

yankeefist
07-12-09, 19:19
i have both and they are good guns -- very good guns if you consider the price

i feel the p3at is the better over all because of it's size to power ratio

they are also very accurate for such small pistols

the only gripes i have are with the pf9

1. the rail is silly and makes the gun much bigger than it need to be in a critical area for concealment
2. the gun over all it bigger than i want a 9 in - keltec's in my mind should be the the smallest gun available in a given caliber and several manufactures have smaller 9's than the pf9 - i went with the kahr
3. the slide to frame mating is sloppy i.e. it rattles , this doesn't seem to effect accuracy and it may help with reliability but it makes the gun feel cheap

tex45acp
07-12-09, 21:11
I have been carrying it every day, every where, either as a BUG or as a primary carry in a pocket holster. As far as small guns go, the 9mm caliber is the smallest I will carry and feel completely armed with it. The PF9 allows me to do so in a package that I can hide adequately. It is very accurate and the trigger beats the heck out of my P-11. I wish I had one of the small lasers for the rail but have yet to make the investment.

tex45acp

LDM
07-13-09, 10:44
I have had a PF-9 for a while now.
With Kel-Tec's the Fluff&Buff (basically a de-burring; see Kel-Tec forum for instructions) is in my opinion mandatory when you first bring it home. From owning Kel-Tecs before, I did this before I ever fired the weapon. Mine has functioned flawlessly with every ammo I've tried.
I added the eraser trigger stop and that helps (see Kel-Tec forum for instructions). And I changed out the magazine release from a plastic to a metal unit. I had to shim the rear sight to get it sighted in. This may sound like a lot but it isn't really.
Although it functions well, it is not a pleasure to shoot. And as with all Kel-Tecs it is not designed nor made to shoot thousands of rounds.
It is purpose driven: light weight, concealable, economical, not heavy duty. If you approach it as a tool specialized for that purpose, you'll be pleased.
Stay safe.

.357sigger
07-15-09, 22:23
Well I splurged and got both a p3at and a pf9...:p

Now that I have them I need to find a good holster(s) for them. What do you guys recommend? Any ideas are appreciated...

87GN
07-15-09, 22:38
P3AT - For pocket carry I use the DeSantis Nemesis

I have a "clip" that I used when I was teaching high school, carried it at 12 o'clock.

williejc
07-16-09, 00:17
Recently I bought a new PF-9, which jammed out of the box with several brands and bullet types--all factory ammo. Unable to break it in, I shipped the pistol to Keltec. They worked on it, and when I got it back, it jammed worse than before.

The guy at the factory told me that no more than 7 rounds of +p ammo can be fired during the life of the gun.

I traded it to my dealer for something else.

Irish
07-16-09, 00:38
I owned the P3-AT a few years ago and had none of the normally associated issues. I put approx 400 rounds through it with no issues, other than a stinging hand, and carried it daily for about a year. Due to an unfortunate event I no longer have it... I do recommend the Mitch Rosen PSF that I carried it in. A couple photos with holster and a size comparison shot.
PSF-Facing out is suede covered and was great at concealing.
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4783/img0172x.jpg (http://img259.imageshack.us/i/img0172x.jpg/)
Size comparison, still have the AFCK and it's been my EDC for many years now.
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1609/img0174k.jpg

dirksterg30
07-16-09, 08:43
I use the Desantis Superfly for my P3AT. It's similar to the Nemesis, but with a removable anti-print panel:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/dirksterg30/Kel-Tec/P3AtinDesantisSuperFlyrear.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/dirksterg30/Kel-Tec/P3AtinDesantisSuperFlyfront.jpg

Here's the Nemesis for comparison:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/dirksterg30/Kel-Tec/P3ATwithNemesisxtdmag.jpg

vaglocker
07-16-09, 11:34
Bought a PF9 about 6 months ago. even after a fluff and buff it was a jamma-matic with my usual 124gr HP Federals and my reloads. Before I decided to trade it in to some unfortunate gun shop I decided to try some different ammo. Got some 115 gr Hornadys and ran 200 rounds through without a hitch. These babies are way ammo finicky so don't give up without trying different loads of different bullet weights. I think they prefer the lighter bullets

G19dude
10-23-10, 00:14
I bought a Kel Tec P3AT for summer front pocket holster carry for days that I could not carry my GLOCK 19. I put over 200 rounds through the pistol to break it in. I had a FTE about 2 rounds per mag. I had the pistol sent back to KEL TEC they replaced the guide rod with a steel guide rod and "polished the feed ramp" it was a shooty polish job. I still had FTE about on round every two mags.

My thoughts about KEL TEC well I would not trust my life with one. I owned a few other pocket semi autos and got rid of them all they just don't work all the time. My current BUG and summer front pocket carry is a SMITH & WESSON J-Frame 442 (NO INTERNAL LOCK). It goes bag every time, I shot it well and it will never jam. I will never look back on a pocket semi auto...Just get a J-FRAME

genegoesfast
10-23-10, 00:48
Kahr pm9/cw9's are great in terms of comfort while shooting, very accurate, very reliable and very small (still a tad bigger than the two keltecs mentioned) After shooting the keltecs, the sig 232, the pm9, and the cw9, I feel the Kahrs are the perfect compromise.

G19dude
10-23-10, 01:41
Kahr pm9/cw9's are great in terms of comfort while shooting, very accurate, very reliable and very small (still a tad bigger than the two keltecs mentioned) After shooting the keltecs, the sig 232, the pm9, and the cw9, I feel the Kahrs are the perfect compromise.

Agree

Magic_Salad0892
10-23-10, 03:26
I've shot a PF9.

Never a gain, slide bite, trigger didn't reset multiple times, deformed rounds, failure to extract, factory sights were wretched. The one I shot did run flawless after a trip to the factory. However new problems for me arise.

Factory sights are stupid, slide bite, uncomfortable recoil, I could visibly bend the frame with my thumb and index finger on the magazine well, didn't like the trigger pull.

The P3AT was pretty nice for what it was. I just hated the caliber and stupid sights.

Can't beat the weight though, but they aren't carry/combat material for me.

I'll stick with a Glock 26 or H&K P2000 SK in 9x19mm.

LHS
10-23-10, 17:23
I have an older P-11, and while it's not my favorite gun, for what I paid for it, it's been great. The trigger's long and heavy, and the sights aren't the best, but it's not meant for shooting @ 25 yards, it's meant for a BUG. Mine's been very reliable with the factory 10-round mags. I had to do a sandpaper/polish on the trigger face to get rid of the seam, and a minor polish on the slide stop to enable it to disengage with thumb pressure (otherwise it would only release with a sling-shot). Other than that, it shoots to point of aim, goes bang every time (I use standard-pressure 9mm Federal HS), and while it may not be the most comfortable gun to shoot for extended periods, it certainly does what it's intended to do reliably and effectively.

SmokeJumper
10-23-10, 21:11
Agree

I'll second that, my PM9 has been great for BUG duty. Although do have the LCP too. It's easy to conceal, just not my ideal carry gun for a primary.

spdldr
10-23-10, 22:11
Many don't even bother to consider the P32. As for myself, I consider the .380 cartridge a bit much for such a tiny pistol. The .32 holds one more round, locks the slide back on empty, and is slightly lighter weight.(especially in the Gen. I)

FMJ rounds give greater penetration, which is about all one has in these short barreled tiny guns with their weak ammunition. For over 50 years the .32 auto was considered adequate for European police and even military rear echelon use. This round and weapon are a better balance for shooting and function in my opinion. It is one you will have with you instead of at home or in the car.

Dave
Boonie Packer

jc75754
10-23-10, 22:52
P3AT - For pocket carry I use the DeSantis Nemesis

I have a "clip" that I used when I was teaching high school, carried it at 12 o'clock.

Not trying to hijack.

I also am a high school teacher in NC. I did not think you could carry in school. Is it different in your state?

scjbash
10-24-10, 12:55
I've carried a p3at as a BUG for a couple years. I don't shoot it as much as I should, but it's been problem free through about 600 rounds. Adding a Hogue Handall Jr and a mag extension made it a lot more enjoyable to shoot. This link shows how to modify the Handall to fit a p3at.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/handalljr.htm

Irish10
10-24-10, 15:03
I bought a P3AT about six years ago and it has been flawless since day 1. I did the recommended "fluff & buff" from the Kel-Tec owners forum and overall it's a great little pocket gun. Corbon Powerball is the best ammo I have found for it and for it's size it kicks like a mule!

Lincoln7
10-24-10, 15:18
I really like my PF9. The minor issues I had early on were quickly and easily resolved by KelTec. I have over 1k rounds through mine and it's running great. It does what it is designed to well: Be small, comfortable to carry, and pack the power of a 9mm.

rjacobs
10-24-10, 17:11
I just picked up a PF9 this afternoon. Going to shoot it a bit tomorrow, the range was packed today. I figured if I dont like it I can sell it and at least get my money back out of it. So far I am fairly impressed by it. Just took it apart and cleaned it up good. I am going to do a fluff and buff on it, probably tomorrow or tuesday.

Anybody have any holster recommendations? I think I am going to pickup a Desanti nemesis pocket holster, but I also want some type of IWB similar to a Phantom(they dont offer a PF9 holster).

Hmac
10-24-10, 17:15
A buddy has a PF-9. Fluff n' buff is mandatory, but even then it's VERY finicky about ammo. The thing hates hollowpoints.

BillSWPA
10-24-10, 22:18
I own a first generation P-32 and second generation P3AT. I also have 2 friends with P3AT's. They are all reliable guns. However, keep the following in mind to maximize this reliability.

DO NOT do the fluff and buff that is recommended on the KTOG website. I have heard from a gunsmith employed by Kel-Tec that MANY guns that left the factory in spec were returned out of spec after this procedure was performed. This procedure may also cause some warranty issues. Just shoot the gun instead.

Both pistols function best with recoil springs that are 2 lb. heavier than factory standard. So, I use Wolff 11 lb. springs in the P-32 (9 lb. is standard) and 13 lb. recoil springs in the P3AT (11 lb. is standard). Wolff +10% magazine springs are also known to maximize reliability in these guns.

Particularly in the case of the P-32, test your gun at the range with a fully loaded magazine plus one in the chamber. If you do this with the standard springs and the P-32, you will likely get many jams on the first round due to the rim of the top cartridge being caught in the groove of the cartridge below it. The 9 lb. spring will not overcome this condition with a fully loaded magazine, but the 11 lb. spring will.

If you are using a P-32,. load your magazines carefully to avoid rimlock (the rim of one round behind the rim of the one below it in the magazine. Be sure not to put too much pressure on the front of the cartridges in the magazine, which could cause the rims to separate, allowing cartridges to slide with respect to each other into a rimlock position. I have done considerable experimentation with spacers to eliminate the rimlock problem, and have found that they cause more problems than they solve - usually premature slidelock. Loading the magazine carefully will eliminate the problem.

Despite the rimlock issue, the P-32 is generally a bit more reliable than the P3AT.

Clean the lint out of the area between the hammer and firing pin frequently, and clean the firing pin channel frequently. Failure to do so can result in light strikes. The extractor screw is also what holds in the firing pin, which is held to the rear by the firing pin spring.

Despite the number of suggestions I made here for maximizing the reliability of these guns, I regard them, along with North American Arms, as the most reliable true pocket guns you will find.

The Crimson Trace LaserGuard makes these guns considerably easier to shoot accurately. Holsters for these guns when so equipped are plentiful. I'll add another vote for the DeSantis Superfly, as well as the C Rusty Sherrick Dirty Doug pocket holster. Rusty also made one of his ankle holsters for me to accommodate the laser.

While I do not own a PF-9, I have followed the development of this pistol online. Earlier models had a scary number and frequency of problems, and it took numerous modifications to the design over a period of a few years to get it right. Today, they are likely to be as reliable as any other 9mm in its size/weight class. NONE of the super-compact 9mm's are totally trouble free, including some much more expensive ones.

For me, it is tough to justify a PF-9 when I already own a Glock 26.

ghettomedic
10-25-10, 08:55
In the great PF9 vs. P3AT debate, most folks forget the other boy in the band, the P11.

I shot and carried a P11 for the first 2-3 years I had my CCW. I bought it used at a gun show for $175, replaced the sights and springs, did the fluff and buff and it was GTG with a variety of ammo. It handled 147 gr. Winchester Ranger JHPs without a hitch, I probably put 500 rounds of this loading and another 1000 of 115 gr. FMJ through the gun during my time with it. I carried it as a BUG for the past year or so before selling it to fund a 1911 purchase.

Best of all, I found it much more pointable than the PF9 and MUCH more controllable that the P3AT. The dimensions are incrementally larger than the PF9 and you gain 4 rounds of capacity.

PF9:

Length - 5.85"
Height - 4.3"
Width - 0.88"
Weight - 12.7 oz.
Capacity - 7+1

P11

Length - 5.6"
Height - 4.3"
Width - 1.0"
Weight - 14 oz.
Capacity - 10+1

Check it out, I guarantee you'll be surprised. One word of caution, however. The 12 round flush-fit mags are just the 10 round mags with the follower legs cut off and the same spring, as far as I can tell. I experienced numerous FTF with this setup, particularly rounds nosediving into the feed ramp. Stick with the 10 round MecGar mags or S&W 6906 12 round mags if you want extra capacity.

jmp45
10-25-10, 09:40
I carry an LCP in the summer, planning on carrying my PF-9 in winter. no issues with my PF-9 other than the said stinging recoil. I've run a few hundred rounds through it with no failures. I modified a pearce kahr mag extension, it gives you a little more than the stock extension. Wife carries an LCP, I won't let her shoot the PF-9, I know it would be too much for her.

tpd223
10-25-10, 11:33
The P32s I have had have been reliable.

The first P11s I saw at our range wouldn't run through a single mag without a failure, so we banned carrying them by our officers. Since then they seemed to have worked many of the bugs out of the gun.

I bought a PF9 when they first came out. Mine ran fine, but the recoil had a weird sting to it that made my carpal tunnel very unhappy so a friend bought it. That gun was not very much smaller than the P11, and it is in the same size class as the Kahr PM9.

The PM9s run when they run, when they don't they don't seem to be fixable. A few at work run great, as does my wife's, but one I bought recently has been back to the factory already for numerous fails-to-feed issues.

I have personally given up on pocket autos for the most part (the new S&W .380 interests me though, it's a vicious circle...) and I carry a J frame as a BUG both due to reliability and terminal ballistics considerations.

tpd223
10-25-10, 11:38
... and as to what is bigger than what, this might be of interest to the group;

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

Tomahawk_Ghost
10-25-10, 14:49
My typical CCW guns are Glock 22, Glock 27 or Kahr PM9. When I'm flying out of town, I take the Kel-tec P32 with me. So far it has been reliable. It conceals no matter what the situation even in a pair of dress pants. Even though I make sure my permit is valid in my destination, I don't want any unnecessary attention. If it gets stolen by the thieves that work for the airlines, OK, I'm out $200.

D Golden
10-25-10, 16:18
I carry the P3AT .380 daily, as a back-up. I use the stainless steel clip instead of a holster. I only use fmj. NO steel case ammo, it is finicky. I have put several hundred rounds thru her with the only problems coming from hollowpoints & steel case ammo.

REDinFL
10-27-10, 08:43
I carry a Smith 340PD daily (non-professional)for lightness and reliability. If you want a .380 - basically a standard .38 special in power - nothing to sneeze at - also consider a NAA (North American Arms) defender. That's a solid hunk of steel, so you can be confident in using the highest performance rounds in that caliber. I'm not really thrilled with the almost flimsy feeling of the KT.

BTW, want a laugh? Most people carry some standard type of pistol and add a small one for backup. I carry most times what people would consider a backup. If I have to go through a "riskier" area, I ADD the full size. I always do things backwards, I guess.

PdxMotoxer
11-06-10, 05:07
I have both an LCP and a Kel-Tec PF9 and love both of them.

As many said the pf-9 is VERY ammo picky!!!
I've found if you stay away from 147g you will get less "jams"
and do not even think of "limp wristing" or it will jam.

It's not a fun range gun but once you learn it's quirks and what ammo
it likes then you both should be happy.

Mine likes cheap Blazer and PMC and Gold Dot HP's
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/PdxMotoXer/Kel_TecPF9KnDHolster1.jpg
I love mine so much i had Keven over at K&D make me a custom OWB holster.

*Sadly troubled times and i MIGHT have to sell it*

I tend to pocket carry my LCP 95% of the time anyway.
But like someone pointed out... for half the price of a Kahr
and a lifetime warranty i didn't have to think much if i should buy it. :cool:

platoonDaddy
11-06-10, 05:59
I use the black Talon Wallet Holster for my P3AT, never leave home without it. Love the way the rear panel comes away from the inner-panel for drawing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqQxA9jBaWg

anatolian B
11-07-10, 11:22
For summer carry the PF9 has been very good to me. I have read all of the "fluff&buff" on KTOG and must say, like most small autos, it just needs to be shot in. After 400+ rounds it will eat anything I feed it with no indigestion.

G19dude
02-15-11, 23:14
I own a first generation P-32 and second generation P3AT. I also have 2 friends with P3AT's. They are all reliable guns. However, keep the following in mind to maximize this reliability.

DO NOT do the fluff and buff that is recommended on the KTOG website. I have heard from a gunsmith employed by Kel-Tec that MANY guns that left the factory in spec were returned out of spec after this procedure was performed. This procedure may also cause some warranty issues. Just shoot the gun instead.

Both pistols function best with recoil springs that are 2 lb. heavier than factory standard. So, I use Wolff 11 lb. springs in the P-32 (9 lb. is standard) and 13 lb. recoil springs in the P3AT (11 lb. is standard). Wolff +10% magazine springs are also known to maximize reliability in these guns.

Particularly in the case of the P-32, test your gun at the range with a fully loaded magazine plus one in the chamber. If you do this with the standard springs and the P-32, you will likely get many jams on the first round due to the rim of the top cartridge being caught in the groove of the cartridge below it. The 9 lb. spring will not overcome this condition with a fully loaded magazine, but the 11 lb. spring will.

If you are using a P-32,. load your magazines carefully to avoid rimlock (the rim of one round behind the rim of the one below it in the magazine. Be sure not to put too much pressure on the front of the cartridges in the magazine, which could cause the rims to separate, allowing cartridges to slide with respect to each other into a rimlock position. I have done considerable experimentation with spacers to eliminate the rimlock problem, and have found that they cause more problems than they solve - usually premature slidelock. Loading the magazine carefully will eliminate the problem.

Despite the rimlock issue, the P-32 is generally a bit more reliable than the P3AT.

Clean the lint out of the area between the hammer and firing pin frequently, and clean the firing pin channel frequently. Failure to do so can result in light strikes. The extractor screw is also what holds in the firing pin, which is held to the rear by the firing pin spring.

Despite the number of suggestions I made here for maximizing the reliability of these guns, I regard them, along with North American Arms, as the most reliable true pocket guns you will find.

The Crimson Trace LaserGuard makes these guns considerably easier to shoot accurately. Holsters for these guns when so equipped are plentiful. I'll add another vote for the DeSantis Superfly, as well as the C Rusty Sherrick Dirty Doug pocket holster. Rusty also made one of his ankle holsters for me to accommodate the laser.

While I do not own a PF-9, I have followed the development of this pistol online. Earlier models had a scary number and frequency of problems, and it took numerous modifications to the design over a period of a few years to get it right. Today, they are likely to be as reliable as any other 9mm in its size/weight class. NONE of the super-compact 9mm's are totally trouble free, including some much more expensive ones.

For me, it is tough to justify a PF-9 when I already own a Glock 26.

Kel Tec now carries a metal shim you can buy to slide in the back of the mag to prevent rimlock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAcl-zZPvxA

It is a long video so fwd to 24:30

Paul45
02-16-11, 08:03
I have both. When concealment is very limilted, the PF-9 goes in the front righ pocket and the P3AT goes around my neck on a KT lanyard.

TapRackBang20
10-06-11, 12:13
I got a PF9 about a year ago as a carry gun. It is slim, it is easy to conceal, and it won't break the bank. Not a bullseye shooter, but I could put all 7 rounds in the 8 ring firing as fast as I could. Had about 500 problem free rounds through it before I had a weird malfunction. I was at the range and after firing a round, the slide stopped halfway back. Racked it to the rear (which was difficult), cleared the empty brass, and let it forward, where it stopped in the exact same position. Had to beat the heck out of it to get the slide into battery. Turns out the barrel was slightly larger than spec (I assume, anyways) and every time the slide came back it was catching the underside of the top of the frame and carving a nice little notch. The metal was curled back and was getting stuck on the barrel, hence the malfunction. Sent it off to Keltec and they fixed it, no questions asked. Replaced the slide, barrel, internals, basically everything but the frame. Customer service is great, but this made up my mind that I wanted to get a different carry gun. I'm going to see if I can sell it or trade it for something. If not, I may put it in the SHTF bag.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Nephrology
10-06-11, 12:45
I have seen 2 (the only 2 that have ever come near me) where the trigger, if pulled before let all the way out on a follow up shot, goes dead. Would never carry one.

Grizzly16
10-06-11, 12:46
I had a pf9 that even upwards of 2000 rounds would have a FTF about every 150 rounds. Yes, keltec was helpful for repairs. But I didn't have confidence in the gun (not just mine, the design in general) to always be there for me. Lot of folks have no issues and lots of folks have had issues. I don't like hit or miss on a life saving device. Sold it and started carrying a g26 and now g23. They are definitely bigger and I miss the pf9 size. But I'll get a walther or khar before the pf9 for every day carry.

Deaj
10-06-11, 13:00
I've owned my PF-9 for more than 2 years now and it's been my daily CCW since (well, I began carrying it once I felt confident that it was reliable). I have a little more than 1,000 rounds through mine with no malfunctions. I don't enjoy shooting it but I do so every trip to the range to remain proficient with it. I did not do a full fluff-n-buff but I did polish the feed ramp a bit early on (it looked pretty rough - seemed prudent). I trust mine with my life.

The sights are terrible but serviceable for a short range defensive weapon IMO.

TapRackBang20
10-06-11, 13:07
I have seen 2 (the only 2 that have ever come near me) where the trigger, if pulled before let all the way out on a follow up shot, goes dead. Would never carry one.

+1. Did that the first time I tried to find the reset. It clicked after i let it out about halfway, but no reset.

Gun shop called to tell me my M&P was in right after my last post. That solves that problem.

kartoffel
10-06-11, 13:27
I have a PF9 that had an extractor failure after 500 rounds. Kel-Tec sent me new parts lickety split, though, and I'm sure they would have let me send the gun in to them too if it had been serious.

For what it's worth, I've since picked up a used Kahr and run it hard enough to trust. The PF9 is still in my carry rotation thanks to having a nice holster for it, but honestly I like shooting and carrying the Kahr more.

Neither gun goes in a pocket, unless you're talking some bigass tacticall cargo pocket in the kind of pants that I rarely wear. No. These pistols are for appendix IWB or ankle carry.

carshooter
10-06-11, 13:36
Several of the guys I shoot with regularly have P3-AT's, they are happy with them, but most are carried way more than they are shot.

Another shooting buddy has a PF-9 that he carries. It's also carried a lot more than it's shot, but he does have almost 1,000 rounds through it.

Irish10
10-06-11, 16:28
I have had my P3AT for over six years and it runs like a well oiled machine. Did the fluff/buff shown on the KT forum and use a Nemesis pocket rig. PowerBall is my carry ammo and it shoots to point of aim at out to 25-30 feet which is perfect IMO for a deep cover weapon. These babies make the hand hurt so don't plan on shooting tons of ammo. I fire maybe 50 - 100 rounds a year, enough to maintain proficiency but I'm confident it will fire whenever I need it. The PB is great ammo and again I'm confident it will get the job done. KT also has fantastic customer support. I would definitely go for the 380 over the 32.

badcatbigbat
10-06-11, 19:30
I am very pleased with the P3AT. Ammunition availability was an issue some time ago, however not now. I have HUGE mitts and I can still control the little pocket rocket. My wife is almost a dwarf compared to me and she too can control the gun. It is very light and concealable for me, therefore it's carried more often than not down here in the dirty, hot, sticky south.

http://youtu.be/H6gqgYGS5hA

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l389/badcatbigbat/DSC_0168_edited.jpg

BillSWPA
10-07-11, 12:21
Kel Tec now carries a metal shim you can buy to slide in the back of the mag to prevent rimlock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAcl-zZPvxA

It is a long video so fwd to 24:30

Thanks for the reply and I apologize for my much-delayed reply.

I have tried the Kel-Tec spacer kit as well as homemade spacers. They do prevent rimlock, but cause another issue. By pushing the rounds forward in the magazine, they cause the noses of the bullets to hit the slide stop, causing premature slide lock. One could, I suppose, machine out a portion of the slide stop so that the noses of the bullets no longer hit it, although it would also prevent this part from functioning as intended.

Kool Aid
10-08-11, 10:50
A buddy & I picked up brown PF9s in 2010. Both have approximately 500 rounds through them. We both have strong fundamentals, and neither of us have had a malfunction. Mine did FTE once when I loaned it to a bonehead at the range who limp wristed it. I should have known better when I saw him let his own pistol come up over his head during recoil.

I learned my lesson with the Kahr PM9 that pistols of this size will not stay reliable for long with heavy range use. That's fine because the PF9 is painful to shoot and has an extremely loud report. I need virtually no practice to stay combat accurate with it out to 10 yards. That's definitely not the case with the LCP, a tough pistol to shoot well.

I avoid carrying my PF9 as much as possible because, lets face it, its not a service pistol. However, it conceals so much better than even a G26/HK SK/M&Pc class of pistol that its worth owning. Mine most frequently gets carried in a pocket during bike rides, gym trips, and other places where the deepest concealment is necessary.

TucsonMTB
10-09-11, 18:48
Now that my Kahr PM40 is fully reliable, my P-3AT seldom gets carried. However, it has been a faithful companion for more than five years, never failing to go bang when requested.

My wife an I both still shoot our P-3AT's from time to time because it's necessary if you plan to hit anything with them when you need them. When I clean them, they seem almost toy-like in size. But, they sure do disappear when that's important.

That said, I am trying to sell off my stash of .380 ACP. It seems as if .40 S&W in the Kahr is actually easier to shoot, partly because of the smooth trigger, I believe.