PDA

View Full Version : US Glock?

Slater
07-17-09, 08:15
A presistent Errornet rumor that seems to be circulating is that Glock is considering manufacturing their slides in the US.

IIRC, Glock already makes some of their frames here. From what I've heard, the Tenifer process uses some chemicals that are frowned upon in the US, so all slides are made in Austria. Not sure if they'd have to modify their process to some extent to comply with EPA rules.

More disinformation or any truth to this?

C45P312
07-17-09, 08:25
It's true. Was realyed the same info at a glock armorers class in June confirmed by both the armorer instructor and mid-Atlantic sales rep.

Slater
07-17-09, 08:45
The usual response I've heard is "Geez, I better buy one of the Austrian-made guns before the QC goes out the window".

Hopefully not true, but I know a few guys that are thinking along those lines.

JonInWA
07-17-09, 12:06
If it's true, and if, hypothetically Glock would have to switch from tenifer to another comparable process, such as melonite (for example), I'm really not sure that there's much of a practical difference betwen the two.

As long as a US-produced Glock performs to the same material, quality control, fit and finish, and performance (durability, reliability, accuracy, and operational) criteria as the Austrian-produced ones, I'd be perfectly comfortable with either.

Similar discussion/concern continues to permeate many Beretta discussions; as discussed by participants in a BUSA factory tour several years ago, one of the interesting little nuggets of information that came out was that Beretta's Italian factory actually has a HIGHER out-of-tolerance/bad part rate than the BUSA US factory.

Best, Jon

ducati
07-17-09, 17:51
I have a US manufactured frame, no problems with it.

HeadHunter
07-18-09, 21:31
If it's true, and if, hypothetically Glock would have to switch from tenifer to another comparable process, such as melonite (for example), I'm really not sure that there's much of a practical difference betwen the two.

I can rust my M&P but not any Glock I've had. There's clearly a difference between the two processes in my experience.