PDA

View Full Version : Getting my first handgun

kyrin88
07-18-09, 20:45
Hey guys I am turning 21 next week and I am going to buy a handgun. Can you buy one the day that you turn 21 or do you have to wait a day or two. This would be my first and I was considering either a 1911 or a glock in 45acp, I will be using it as a carry weapon when I get my CCP. Anyway, I need advice on what you guys think will be the best option or option for me. Thanks in advance

Going4Broke
07-18-09, 21:25
I believe that you will need to fill out a "Right to Purchase Handgun" or what ever it is called application at your local police office or sheriffs office. You can not do so until you are 21 and it takes 2 weeks for them to call you to either come pick up your purchasing permit or let you know that you have been denied.

kyrin88
07-18-09, 21:30
Sir, I dont know where you live, but I live in Miami Fl and there is no such law that requires you to do what you just said. Thanks anyway

decodeddiesel
07-18-09, 21:35
I believe that you will need to fill out a "Right to Purchase Handgun" or what ever it is called application at your local police office or sheriffs office. You can not do so until you are 21 and it takes 2 weeks for them to call you to either come pick up your purchasing permit or let you know that you have been denied.

Dude, WTF are you talking about?!?! FAIL :confused::confused:

Maybe in some of the more oppressive states, but in most of the country you turn 21...walk into a gun store...pick your gun...pass your background check...enjoy your new purchase.

That being said there are literally hundreds of threads which cover this subject very thoroughly.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=30221

Although I love 1911s they are not for beginners, and definitely not for someone with a limited budget. If you want a .45 I would suggest an HK45, an M&P45, or a Glock 21 SF. Be advised though the HK and Glock are very big handguns and will be difficult to conceal if you go that route.

RogerinTPA
07-18-09, 22:17
FL has a mandatory 3 day waiting period, unless you currently are a CCW license holder, then it's the same day, with all the normal paper work and the call to FDLE for a quick background check. With that, you're out the door in 15-20 minutes.

That said, what state are you in? Google your state's gun waiting period to be sure and what the age requirement is. Try the midsized S&W M&P.45 with the 10 cap mags. It's not as long as the full sized and not as small with the 8 round cap like the compact. It's inexpensive, typically around 500.00 to 550.00, very well made, very comfortable with the 3 adjustable backstraps, very controllable and excellent customer service.

kyrin88
07-18-09, 22:34
Thanks, but what should I be looking at. I have done some research, and I am

looking at 45 acp compact( good reliable model), Sig, Glock, Kimber etc . I dont

know, should I even go the 45 route, I am very open to advice from you pros at

this moment.:p

decodeddiesel
07-18-09, 23:19
Thanks, but what should I be looking at. I have done some research, and I am

looking at 45 acp compact( good reliable model), Sig, Glock, Kimber etc . I dont

know, should I even go the 45 route, I am very open to advice from you pros at

this moment.:p

Check out the link I posted earlier in the thread and start reading.

If you are not bent on .45 I would suggest starting with a good 9mm and going from there. Ammo is significantly cheaper which means you will be able to shoot more and practice more. 9mms generally are easier to shoot than .45s, they tend to recoil less, and you will have a higher magazine capacity at your fingertips.

Todd Green's advise is to find a range that will let you try numerous different weapons. Find which one you shoot best. Not necessarily the one that feels best.

A few weapons I would suggest, M&P9, Glock 19 or 17, HK P30.

RogerinTPA
07-18-09, 23:19
Check the thread below. It's a compilation of a lot of X vs Y brand handgun threads.

decodeddiesel
07-18-09, 23:27
FL has a mandatory 3 day waiting period...

Huh, I didn't know about that.

Good advise on the link. ;)

loupav
07-19-09, 00:13
Good luck on your purchase and let us know what you get!!! :D

ToddG
07-19-09, 01:51
Step 1: If you have not already received professional training (shooting with your buddies or your Dad does not count unless your buddy/Dad is a certified handgun instructor), get professional training. I highly recommend you do this prior to choosing your pistol. The NRA Basic Pistol or Personal Protection programs are both solid, simple, introductory classes. You can locate a certified instructor at the NRA web site (http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/find.asp).

Step 2: Apply what you've learned about proper grip, etc., to find those pistols that you can operate safely & properly.

Step 3: Choose the one that has the best combination of features that matter to you (price, reputation for reliability, cool factor, whatever).

If getting a handgun is a passing fad because you're turning 21, then you probably won't ever shoot enough to worry about whether you got the absolute best gun possible. If shooting becomes a lifelong endeavor, on the other hand, it won't matter what pistol you buy because you will buy more ... so there is no reason to worry about whether you got the absolute best gun possible.

Going4Broke
07-19-09, 03:10
Dude, WTF are you talking about?!?! FAIL :confused::confused:

Maybe in some of the more oppressive states, but in most of the country you turn 21...walk into a gun store...pick your gun...pass your background check...enjoy your new purchase.

That being said there are literally hundreds of threads which cover this subject very thoroughly.

Although I love 1911s they are not for beginners, and definitely not for someone with a limited budget. If you want a .45 I would suggest an HK45, an M&P45, or a Glock 21 SF. Be advised though the HK and Glock are very big handguns and will be difficult to conceal if you go that route.

Excuse me??? Fail?? I said I believe. Here in Minnesota, which is very much a pro gun state you must have a permit to purchase a handgun. It is a 2 week wait after filling out the app at the local LE office and that permit is good for 2 years. When you have the permit you can walk right in and buy whenever without a wait. If you have a conceal and carry permit you can do the same. I thought it might be a country wide thing, but I guess not. Good for the OP, but don't act like you know everything because you didn't know our laws.;)

Sorry I was wrong, did not know where the OP lived and that each state was different on the issue. Carry on.

CryingWolf
07-19-09, 06:02
If shooting becomes a lifelong endeavor, on the other hand, it won't matter what pistol you buy because you will buy more ... so there is no reason to worry about whether you got the absolute best gun possible.

I really like this statement by Todd. It really is what will end up happening if you like to shoot.

You should be able to get the ball rolling the day you turn 21. There is a 3 day waiting period in FL as someone pointed out. You turned 21 and you can purchase that day. You just won't get your handgun for 3 days.:mad:

My question is have you shot any handguns and if so what did you shoot? Have you shot a 1911 before? I did when I was like 10, no hearing protection one shot ears rang for hours. Thirty something years later I own one. I own a few handguns now. I would like to own a lot more but lack of money just ain't helping the situation out.

Anyway my advise is if you can shoot a few you are interest in and get a feel of what you want. Something comfortable etc.

Training is good especially if you have not had much time around firearms.

Beat Trash
07-19-09, 08:36
Step 1: If you have not already received professional training (shooting with your buddies or your Dad does not count unless your buddy/Dad is a certified handgun instructor), get professional training. I highly recommend you do this prior to choosing your pistol. The NRA Basic Pistol or Personal Protection programs are both solid, simple, introductory classes. You can locate a certified instructor at the NRA web site (http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/find.asp).

Step 2: Apply what you've learned about proper grip, etc., to find those pistols that you can operate safely & properly.

Step 3: Choose the one that has the best combination of features that matter to you (price, reputation for reliability, cool factor, whatever).

If getting a handgun is a passing fad because you're turning 21, then you probably won't ever shoot enough to worry about whether you got the absolute best gun possible. If shooting becomes a lifelong endeavor, on the other hand, it won't matter what pistol you buy because you will buy more ... so there is no reason to worry about whether you got the absolute best gun possible.

Todd, well said.

I'm glad I live in Ohio from what I have read. I don't have to fill out "right of purchase", don't have to wait weeks. Just have to fill out the yellow Federal form, my FFL dealer calls the Federal NIC check (SP?) phone number and give them my information, and within 30-60 seconds, they get a reply, an approval number to put on the form, and that's it.

TO the OP, if you seriously plan on shooting, training with and carrying you new gun, I'd strongly suggest a 9mm. Price and availability of ammunition being the main reason. Do not discount the 9mm as a defensive round. With the right loads, it will do the job, provided you do your job as it relates to shot placement. If you don't do a good job as it relates to shot placement, then no handgun caliber will work as expected.

Business_Casual
07-19-09, 09:48
Excuse me??? Fail?? I said I believe. Here in Minnesota, which is very much a pro gun state you must have a permit to purchase a handgun. It is a 2 week wait after filling out the app at the local LE office and that permit is good for 2 years. When you have the permit you can walk right in and buy whenever without a wait. If you have a conceal and carry permit you can do the same. I thought it might be a country wide thing, but I guess not. Good for the OP, but don't act like you know everything because you didn't know our laws.;)

Sorry I was wrong, did not know where the OP lived and that each state was different on the issue. Carry on.

Do you live under a bridge? I just checked Minnesota laws and no permit is required.

M_P

kyrin88
07-19-09, 10:01

Thanks, I will definately seek some handgun instruction before making a definate

purchase. I have owned quite a few guns, mainly AR-15's, and I have also shot a

few handguns, Glock 19, sig in 9mm( not sure what model), S&W glock look alike

in 9mm, and well thats about it. I will be using my handgun mainly for self

defense, so I want something to put someone down if it comes to that. I live in

heart of Miami and there is a lot of degenerates that will try to get you for a buck,

so some handgun courses will be suffice. I mean does going in the back yard and

practicing with bb guns count as handgun training to an extent?

MiggyE
07-20-09, 02:54
would agree with decodeddesiel about 9mms being a nice first gun, but since you have already shot them, and are dead set on 45s, i could advise HK 45, or SIG. personally, as i posted on another thread, i prefer Tanfoglio Force/ EAA Witness. mine came in as a 9mm, and there are aftermarket conversion kits care of Tanfoglio that easily convert this to 45. simply change barrel, slide, and magazine in seconds;):D i am waiting for my conversion kit right now to turn my 9mm carry into a 40 full size for competition purposes

Mr.Goodtimes
07-20-09, 08:19
Huh, I didn't know about that.

Good advise on the link. ;)

yea its three BUSINESS days too. so if you buy on friday, you cant pick your gun up till wed.

Avenger29
07-20-09, 09:40
Hey guys I am turning 21 next week and I am going to buy a handgun. Can you buy one the day that you turn 21 or do you have to wait a day or two. This would be my first and I was considering either a 1911 or a glock in 45acp, I will be using it as a carry weapon when I get my CCP. Anyway, I need advice on what you guys think will be the best option or option for me. Thanks in advance

Some advice from a guy who turned 21 a few months back and is still searching for his ideal carry gun...

1) Why .45ACP? It's an expensive round. Even with Wolf, it's twice the cost of 9x19mm. Yes, I know every gun owner should own a .45, but that can wait...

2) How long until you have your CCW permit in hand? Up here in SC, it's 3 months, so we have plenty of time to buy a handgun and gather gear.

3) Do not forget to factor in the cost of a good quality carry rig into your pricing. That will run probably $80-100 at a minimum.

4) Don't discount revolvers

5) Go to gunstores, hold as many guns as you can find. Check triggers. Compile lists. Come back here and do your research once you narrow your options down.

6) Sooner or later, get a .22 or .22 conversion kit.

ra2bach
07-20-09, 11:30
Todd, excellent post about their first gun, whether they stick with it, or give it up. I have said almost the exact same thing to beginners, but worded differently, when I custom built golf clubs. parallel planes of thought...

that said, hindsight being what it is, I would start with a 9MM rather than the .45 or .40, for all the reasons above.

and I would 'personally' choose something other than a striker-fired pistol. I like the DA/SA (TDA) for beginners. safety training is great but it takes a while for procedures to become habits and then to become instinctual. mistakes are forever, TDA gives you a greater margin of error.

these would be solely my choices based on my experience, feel free to do as you will.

kyrin88
07-20-09, 16:51
Hey guys, thanks for all of the advice and support. I have done some research

and think that 9mm will be the best way to go for me as a beginner. What do you

guys think of the Sig Saur P228 9mm, it is a relatively good price and I believe

that some special forces use them(not why I am interested). As for self defense

goes, I can buy 9m in hollow point to get more knockdown power. what do you

guys think about this, what other alternative in terms of reliability, accuracy, and

durability should I be looking at..thanks in advance:cool:

decodeddiesel
07-20-09, 17:12
P228s are good solid pistols, though there have been some adverse reports of Sig's QA/QC lately and there may be some issues. Just be sure you fire at least 1000 trouble free rounds from the weapon (with at least a couple hundred being your carry ammo) before you trust your life to it.

Just a heads up, knock-down power is a pure myth. We have a terminal ballistics forum here which will help guide you in the right direction when it comes time to pick defensive ammo.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

Personally I use the Speer 147gr Gold Dot, and the Winchester PDX1 147gr Bonded JHP for my CCW piece.

Good luck and enjoy your pistol when you get it!

ra2bach
07-21-09, 14:37

guys think of the Sig Saur P228 9mm, it is a relatively good price and I believe

guys think about this, what other alternative in terms of reliability, accuracy, and

I personally am a fan of the DA/SA for a "first" pistol and SIG makes a nice one. I also like your choice of 9MM.

I just picked up a P226, as I've always wanted one, but the P228 is a great choice as well. I might have chosen it instead of the P226 except I already have the similar in size P229.

one thing to keep in mind is every pistol and every action is different - there is no "best" one, only better ones for a purpose. generally the shooter is the weak link in the chain.

as soon as is practical, begin to acquire spare mags, a holster, and maybe a mag pouch. and lots of ammo...

Beat Trash
07-21-09, 14:52

Good choice in going with a 9mm. The Sig 228 is a great choice if going with a DA/SA design.

DragonDoc
07-22-09, 22:04
You definitely need to take a concealed handgun course for FL if you want to carry concealed. Here is the link for concealed carry rules and regs in Florida.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

Thanks, I will definitely seek some handgun instruction before making a definate

purchase. I have owned quite a few guns, mainly AR-15's, and I have also shot a

few handguns, Glock 19, sig in 9mm( not sure what model), S&W glock look alike

in 9mm, and well thats about it. I will be using my handgun mainly for self

defense, so I want something to put someone down if it comes to that. I live in

heart of Miami and there is a lot of degenerates that will try to get you for a buck,

so some handgun courses will be suffice. I mean does going in the back yard and

practicing with bb guns count as handgun training to an extent?

MiggyE
07-23-09, 02:26
P228s are good solid pistols, though there have been some adverse reports of Sig's QA/QC lately and there may be some issues. Just be sure you fire at least 1000 trouble free rounds from the weapon (with at least a couple hundred being your carry ammo) before you trust your life to it.

Just a heads up, knock-down power is a pure myth. We have a terminal ballistics forum here which will help guide you in the right direction when it comes time to pick defensive ammo.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

Personally I use the Speer 147gr Gold Dot, and the Winchester PDX1 147gr Bonded JHP for my CCW piece.

Good luck and enjoy your pistol when you get it!

great advice, decodediesel! your right. my cousin has a SIG as his carry and he was saying he had had issues, but we wouldn't elaborate. kyrin, its good advice to take your gun to the range and use up several hundred rounds just to break in the gun. i did that, and you get the hang of any nuances your gun may have.
BTW, even with said issues, my cousin is still sticking to his SIG. its still a great gun.:)

28_days
07-29-09, 22:25
Do you live under a bridge? I just checked Minnesota laws and no permit is required.

M_P

He's correct. Unless you have a carry permit (MN is a carry state, not necessarily a concealed and carry) a permit to purchase must be obtained first.

vigilant2
07-29-09, 22:58
Whatever handgun you decide to go with, get the ball rolling as soon
as possible on the concealed carry permit. Take the class as soon as
you can. Currently florida is backlogged with permit applications since
the "Obamanation" took office. Permits are taking as much as 12 months
to be received. Renewals are taking priority over new applications.
Back in 2006 I received my permit in 2weeks.
You may want to take the CCW class with a rental gun that you're familiar
with just to get the class under your belt and the paperwork moving,
Then continue to seek out your carry gun.

Edited: I just found out this afternoon that the permit process has picked up,its now
averaging 4-5 months.

My .02 cents

John_Wayne777
07-30-09, 07:46

The P228 is a pretty good handgun.

A Glock 19 conceals a bit easier, however....

NC12215
07-30-09, 20:55
Glock 17/ 19 or 1911 .45.

Glock is the ""go bang every time, beat it up gun" that is as special for it's reliability as it is un-special for it's unfeeling, drab appearance. Very easy to learn and shoot effectively.

1911 is a classic.
It is time proven and requires a higher level of owner knowledge. Very easy to shoot accurately. Not as many bullets but very concealable and fits most peoples hands. Lots of aftermarket parts to customize. The 1911 also get's points for the CDI factor.

Enjoy your first no matter what you get.

Dave

Mr.Goodtimes
07-30-09, 22:21
He's correct. Unless you have a carry permit (MN is a carry state, not necessarily a concealed and carry) a permit to purchase must be obtained first.

you dont need a permit to purchase a handgun in FL. You just need to be 21. You only need a permit to carry it concealed.

tpd223
07-31-09, 04:36
I was just thinking about how many folks with little to no experience pick a big pistol for CCW, then quit carrying it with they realize it's a PITA.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with a Glock 19 or a S&W M&P9. I'd pick the Glock and buy an Advantage Arms .22 kit for it.

Get some training, it's a big deal.

...and, there is no such thing as "knock down power".

Just a few random thoughts.