PDA

View Full Version : Extended mag release

badcatbigbat
07-18-09, 21:18
I need to give thanks to Mr. Clint Smith. I believe he has stated "One is none and two is one". I took a recent trip to Austin, Tx. I knew that the people that I was traveling with are not gun friendly as I would like them to be. However, I very seldom go without my firearm by my side. Well, this meant that my carbine had to stay at home. But I still wanted to carry something with a little more punch and reload less. My choices are the Kimber tactical .45, Glock 31 .357Sig, and the Glock 19 9mm. So, I went with the Glock 31 (Gen II), something that I bought this past Christmas from a friend at a great price. This would be my first time to have this gun as my primary carry handgun. It has been my range gun on many occasions, so I know that it can shoot.

All went well while we did the normal sight seeing gig. That is until we came back to the car. I saw something that sent chills (so to speak) down my spine, thankful that I did not have a confrontation or anything else negative happen. I saw a loaded magazine in my seat. I did a quick pat down and that was not one of my spare magazines sitting there. So I index my mag-well (through the concealment) only to find it empty.

Apparently, I Inadvertently depressed the extended magazine release while seated in the car. I knew that the Glock 31 (that I had purchased as a project gun) has a extended magazine release, but I did not think that it would cause any problems while carrying concealed.

I have ran many drills that include and/or revolve around reloading, but I can not think of a single drill that I run with a round in the chamber and no magazine to start off with. I am thankful that I remember to carry 2 spare magazines.

Some items that I carry while out
http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l389/badcatbigbat/DSC_0297_edited.jpg

A photo of the extended mag-release touching the holster
http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l389/badcatbigbat/DSC_0298_edited.jpg

A photo of the soon to be gone extended mag-release
http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l389/badcatbigbat/DSC_0299_edited.jpg

John_Wayne777
07-18-09, 22:17
Inadvertent jettisoning of magazines is the reason why I'm not a fan of the Glock factory extended magazine release.

The Glock mag release designed by Larry Vickers is the best option available, in my opinion. It's extended enough that it makes ejection of mags easier, but not so extended that it causes events like the one you just endured.

R Moran
07-19-09, 08:21
I carried a G22 with a factory extended mag release for years on duty in a 6004, and never lost a mag. Just sayin..

I think the new 6004's have been redesigned with a bulg near the mag release to help protect it.

Bob

davidk
07-19-09, 08:23
Extended parts are best left for competition guns :)

Beat Trash
07-19-09, 08:28
I replaced the factory extended magazine release on my G34 with the factory standard one. I did this because the extended one had a tendency of digging into the palm of my support hand.

I must have long fingers, because I really don't have issues with using the standard size magazine release.

To the OP, I'd swap out the magazine release in a NY second...

ChristisKing
07-19-09, 08:40
I think your holster is the non extended magazine friendly part of your gear. It looks like it's rubbing against it.

I've run exteded mag releases on my carry pguns for about 5 years and haven't had a single problem. I think it's the holster.

I usually wear an inside the waistband so the thing is usually against my skin so that's not hard enough to eject the mag.

Robb Jensen
07-19-09, 09:09
Having been to a few hundred matches and several classes I've seen several hundred people draw Glocks and have the mag just fall out of the gun coincidentally all had extended factory Glock mag catches.

I see a pattern here...........just sayin'.

I wouldn't use a factory extended mag catch, I have a few of the TangoDown/Vickers ones which works quite well. The factory extended mag catch is nothing other than a G20/21 mag catch in a 9mm/.40/.357 frame and is no engineering marvel.

R Moran
07-19-09, 18:10
I carried a G22 on duty for over 3 years, with an extended slide stop and mag catch. It was carried in a 6004. In and out of patrol vehicles, flat range, shoot house, tactical obstacle courses, SRT course, can runs, Annual competition, etc. and never lost a mag.
The only lost magazine I personally know of, was a Lt. and he had a standard mag release. He wears his gear so sloppy and 1/2 assed, its no wonder he lost a mag, surprised he didn't loose the whole gun.
The only reason I don't have one now, is the armorer is d...

All I'm sayin, is its not a death sentence. Pay attention to how you set up your gear, and how it interacts, and you should be fine.

Bob

Robb Jensen
07-19-09, 19:07
I carried a G22 on duty for over 3 years, with an extended slide stop and mag catch. It was carried in a 6004. In and out of patrol vehicles, flat range, shoot house, tactical obstacle courses, SRT course, can runs, Annual competition, etc. and never lost a mag.
The only lost magazine I personally know of, was a Lt. and he had a standard mag release. He wears his gear so sloppy and 1/2 assed, its no wonder he lost a mag, surprised he didn't loose the whole gun.
The only reason I don't have one now, is the armorer is d...

All I'm sayin, is its not a death sentence. Pay attention to how you set up your gear, and how it interacts, and you should be fine.

Bob

Carrying it in a 6004/6005 is akin to carry a pistol in a Pelican case. Nothing in there is going to hit the mag catch and drop the mag. Carry it for 3yrs with a Glock Inc extended catch in a REAL concealment holster and tell me about it in 2012.

R Moran
07-19-09, 19:51
Sure thing dude I'll get right on it:rolleyes:

Robb Jensen
07-19-09, 21:49
Sure thing dude I'll get right on it :rolleyes:

Don't be a wise ass. Just because you're paid to carry a gun........1 gun doesn't mean you know EVERYTHING about the dynamics about THAT gun in every situation.
How many times have you drawn your gun? How many times on the SAME day have you seen others draw their gun? How many times do you see Glocks drawn per year? Training and the street?

From my experience in the 4yrs gun industry, and 5 yrs of competition and 35 yrs of shooting is that the most incompetent handling I've seen with guns was with inexperienced new shooters and police officers....just sayin'.

And no I'm not some police basher in the least.
Careless, Ignorant and just Stupid happens regardless of occupation.

Heavy Metal
07-19-09, 22:12
Just get the Vickers mag catch.

It is the 'Goldilocks' solution. Just right!

CoryCop25
07-19-09, 23:21
I have installed extended mag releases in all of my department's G22's and have no trouble with the mags falling out of the duty holsters. My department requires Glock parts only so the Vickers and other aftermarket items are out of the question. I did learn that Glock has a third mag release that they call the FBI mag release and it is longer than the standard and shorter than the extended. I have not seen them in their parts list but if you call them direct they may send them to an armorer.

R Moran
07-20-09, 19:02
Don't be a wise ass. Just because you're paid to carry a gun........1 gun doesn't mean you know EVERYTHING about the dynamics about THAT gun in every situation.
How many times have you drawn your gun? How many times on the SAME day have you seen others draw their gun? How many times do you see Glocks drawn per year? Training and the street?

From my experience in the 4yrs gun industry, and 5 yrs of competition and 35 yrs of shooting is that the most incompetent handling I've seen with guns was with inexperienced new shooters and police officers....just sayin'.

And no I'm not some police basher in the least.
Careless, Ignorant and just Stupid happens regardless of occupation.

Not bein a wise ass, are you?

I never said I was an expert on anything because I "get paid to carry a gun".

Just because your a competition shooter, doesn't mean you know everything, either.
Sorry I have not counted all my draws, but... I've been carrying a G22 on duty for about 9 years now, with and with out the extended parts. No issues. I've also been paid to carry a gun my whole adult life, are we gonna keep up with the chest thumping:rolleyes:

Look,... the comment was made that the extended mag catch only belongs on a competition gun.
I disagree, and gave an example of where it was used successfully, including competitions where the gun must be as issued for duty, for a significant amount of time, with no issues.

Comments like that, sound awfully similar to the old schoolers on some boards, who insist any 1911 that doesn't look like it left Hartford in 1943, isn't a real fighting gun. Regardless of the fact of what real fighters are using.
That's why I chimed in with my experience.
Interesting though, your experience would indicate its not suitable for competition.

Is the extended mag release the best for concealed carry, maybe, maybe not, I'd be willing to bet it has as much to do with holster selection, body type and vetting the combo prior to putting it into service, then it does with the mag release.

IMO, the real lesson to be learned is to check your gear.

BTW, I'm not a cop, I'm just a G-A-R-D, I must really be suckin:D

Bob

badcatbigbat
07-20-09, 20:54
The extended mag release will be soon replaced. This is my first time to own a Glock with a extended mag release & it will be the last. I have never had a problem with standard mag release, so I will stick OEM mag release. Also, I carry concealed, therefore the holster is closer to my body versus the more sturdy duty carry rigs.

87GN
07-20-09, 21:41
With the Vickers/TD mag release, you can place the weapon on a hard surface, mag catch down, and press on the pistol - the mag won't eject. It's great.

I have used the G34 type extended release and it is too long for that frame.

They're making one for the G20/21 soon.

Robb Jensen
07-20-09, 22:56
Not bein a wise ass, are you?.

No. Read my response.

Just because your a competition shooter, doesn't mean you know everything, either.

Never said I did, you're reading FAR too far into what I've said. What I did say is essentially I see real guns actually USED not just carried more than you do. Am I wrong?

Sorry I have not counted all my draws, but... I've been carrying a G22 on duty for about 9 years now, with and with out the extended parts. No issues. I've also been paid to carry a gun my whole adult life, are we gonna keep up with the chest thumping:rolleyes:

Look,... the comment was made that the extended mag catch only belongs on a competition gun.
I disagree, and gave an example of where it was used successfully, including competitions where the gun must be as issued for duty, for a significant amount of time, with no issues.

Comments like that, sound awfully similar to the old schoolers on some boards, who insist any 1911 that doesn't look like it left Hartford in 1943, isn't a real fighting gun. Regardless of the fact of what real fighters are using.
That's why I chimed in with my experience.
Interesting though, your experience would indicate its not suitable for competition.

Is the extended mag release the best for concealed carry, maybe, maybe not, I'd be willing to bet it has as much to do with holster selection, body type and vetting the combo prior to putting it into service, then it does with the mag release.

IMO, the real lesson to be learned is to check your gear.

BTW, I'm not a cop, I'm just a G-A-R-D, I must really be suckin:D

Bob

I hope you have more training than most G-A-R-Ds......just sayin'.....

R Moran
07-21-09, 09:13
Yea, we never shoot..

OK that was bein a wise ass...

Actually, while the DOE program is far from perfect, which one is?, we do a lot more then most......just sayin

Good luck with the new part.

Bob

Matt Edwards
07-21-09, 22:27
1) Extended mag releases and slide stops are not "competition stuff." I know several real world guys who don't consider the two things a modification. They are standard if they run glocks. I know a few who run adjustable sights. I guess some of these guys don't read the net.

2) if you run a pistol, no matter what your occupation, test out your gear before hand. You will loose less mags that way. I can't blame the pistol for my mistake. No excuse. Period.

3) your occupation is not as important as what you have to say. Good post Moran.

4)" Just because you're paid to carry a gun........1 gun doesn't mean you know EVERYTHING about the dynamics about THAT gun in every situation.
How many times have you drawn your gun? How many times on the SAME day have you seen others draw their gun? How many times do you see Glocks drawn per year? Training and the street?"

M4, just because you have a few years in the gun industry and shoot competitions doesn't mean YOU know everything either. I'm sure Bob wishes he only had to carry one gun. I have absolutely no doubt that R. Moran could ask you just as many poignant and VERY relevant questions as you asked him, that you wouldn't be able to answer to his satisfaction. I don't see any of this as a good reason to be disrespectful towards another forum member. It seemed to me that Moran was offering sage advice, IE "check your s%$# or pay the fiddler." In a different lifetime, we had a saying that fits very well here; "You rig it...YOU RIDE IT!"

Robb Jensen
07-22-09, 06:48
M4, just because you have a few years in the gun industry and shoot competitions doesn't mean YOU know everything either. I'm sure Bob wishes he only had to carry one gun. I have absolutely no doubt that R. Moran could ask you just as many poignant and VERY relevant questions as you asked him, that you wouldn't be able to answer to his satisfaction. I don't see any of this as a good reason to be disrespectful towards another forum member. It seemed to me that Moran was offering sage advice, IE "check your s%$# or pay the fiddler." In a different lifetime, we had a saying that fits very well here; "You rig it...YOU RIDE IT!"

Matt the QUOTE button is located to the right of the EDIT button. If you don't quote correctly it makes it hard to read and figure out where the author is quoted and where you started. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/smilies/smiley_abused.gif

No disrespect, sorry if it came out that way. This is the interweb and things don't come across correctly.

My point is that carrying a Glock with an extended mag catch in a 6004 for 3yrs doesn't not mean that this set up will work in every other holster for every other person in every other situation with the same success rate. I come to this conclusion using deductive reasoning (http://everything2.com/title/Inductive%2520reasoning%2520vs.%2520Deductive%2520reasoning) not the flawed logic argued by R Moran called inductive reasoning.

I try my best to give good safe advice. If someone is going to be carrying a gun and doesn't know that this may occur it's best to give them a warning that it might. A Glock doesn't make a good single shot pistol and the Glock makes for a very bad hammer. T/C and Craftsman make better singleshots and hammers.

R Moran
07-22-09, 09:37
Please tell me, where I said it would work in every situation for everyone?

Again, the comment was made they only belong on competition guns, a statement your observations would counter, it would seem.
I gave an example of the opposite, and now Matt has done the same.

I also gave an example where a mag was not lost under some rigorous conditions, point being they are not the death sentence that they are made out to be.

Bob

Matt Edwards
07-22-09, 10:07
I guess I apologize for not being as internet savvy as some. I very recently learned how to spell check. Sometimes I even remember to use it.

I didn't think the logic of ensuring you test out your equipment within certain parameters and using examples wasn't flawed. It would seem the two of you were hounding on different points.

It seems to be a little like when the Thunderbirds execute the "cross-over-break".

NCPatrolAR
07-22-09, 12:44
Ok guys...it is getting to the point where everyone is talking past each other. Moran has his expereinces and M4 has his. Each occurs in different venues and colors their views accordingly. Let's let it go at that.

For me, I currently run the Vickers extended mag catch on all 3 of my Glocks. With the factory extension I was having issues every so often with a mag gettign released; but that was solved by the swapping of parts.

Rider79
07-22-09, 13:23
I run the Vickers mag release in all my Glocks as well. I wonder what I did before it came out. I think its one of, if not the best, aftermarket add-ons for a Glock out there.

Vendetta
07-22-09, 15:59
Another vote for the Vicker's, it is the only release I run in my Glocks.

G19leo
07-22-09, 16:09
I run the Vickers catch on all of my 9/40 Glocks. For me, it’s Perfection. ;)

I hate the Glock extended catch, being a lefty. If I don’t sand down the corners it rubs the crap out of my first and middle finger. It’s easier to just get the Vickers model.

As far as the issue of extended parts for competition only; doesn’t the FBI still order all of their Glocks with the extended slide catch? I’m not saying that it’s right just because the fbi does it, but I see it as a “different strokes” kinda issue.

When I was issued a Sig 229 with a standard mag catch, we used the safariland 6280. That holster exposed the mag catch on that gun. Being a lefty and carrying the gun in an exposed duty holster I would CONSTANLY bump the mag catch and unseat the mag. Talk about a nervous habit you develop. About every three minutes I would push on the base plate to make sure it was seated. I’m glad those days are gone.

Matt Edwards
07-22-09, 16:25
Of interest, I run all Vickers mag releases on my Glocks also, and have since one was given to me. You'll get no argument there.