PDA

View Full Version : Glock Grooved vs. Smooth Trigger

8200rpm
07-20-09, 22:39
Why the disdain for the grooved trigger face of the 19/23 and 26/27? Seems like some shooters prefer the smooth face of the 17/22 and 34/35 trigger.

I'd like to get an explanation from folks who prefer the smooth trigger. Is it simply a tactile preference, or do the grooves somehow impede how you operate the trigger.

Thanks.

Robb Jensen
07-20-09, 22:43
For me?

For me when shooting more than a few mag full of round the Glock factory serrated triggers hurt my trigger finger. Am I a p***y? Maybe but I prefer the non-serrated triggers which are easily installed on the Glock 26/27/33 and Glock 19/23/32s.

Mark71
07-20-09, 23:03
I prefer the smooth glock trigger for the same reason as gotm4. After shooting a few mags with the serrated trigger it starts to irritate my finger and rubs it raw during long range sessions. Luckily it is an easy, quick, and cheap fix.

geminidglocker
07-20-09, 23:16
I feel the same. It's not uncommon for me to run 200rds. through my 26 in a session.

SWATcop556
07-21-09, 01:13
I also prefer and use the smooth trigger. It feels much better on my "girly" hands after a long day at the range or a class that lasts several days.

Detmongo
07-21-09, 07:43
i like the smooth triggers myself. also being that we run NY2's , that groved trigger can tear you finger up after a few boxes of ammo.

COLT6933
07-21-09, 08:02
I only run the smooth trigger. IIRC Glock installs the serrated trigger in tthe compact/subcompacts to give them the points needed for import

markm
07-21-09, 08:27
I probably don't shoot enough pistol these days....

But until it came up on this site a few months back, I didn't even know there was a difference in the triggers on my G22 and G27. I'm not into this "feelings" crapola when I shoot. Like OMG which grip should I buy for my AR, etc. MAS PUTO!!!

lexmedic157
07-21-09, 08:31
Over 8000 rounds through my G23 before changing out my trigger, oh how I wish I'd done that earlier! So much more finger friendly!

rob_s
07-21-09, 08:35
I've always changed them out, but am keeping the current Glock 19 stock to see if it still matters to me.

Detmongo
07-21-09, 08:56
rob
if you are running a 5lb trigger i find it dosen't matter, but i have to run a NY2 (12 lbs) and the groved trigger will tear your finger up if you do any high round count shooting. i changed out my trigger on my 19 after putting about 70,000 rds thru it wished i had done it sooner.

SPM14430
07-21-09, 09:15
I used to drop in lightning strike aluminum triggers on my Glocks, loved them.

Now I have to go with a go with 12-lb serrated stock triggers on my 19 and 26 (no modifications allowed to service firearms)

BIGUGLY
07-21-09, 14:56
Duty arm is a Glock 35 and have a 23 for off duty and court. We are also forced to have a 8lb trigger, that weight on a serrated trigger gets annoying after only a few magazines.

dewatters
07-21-09, 16:10
Maybe my eyes were deceiving me, but it appeared to me that the trigger bars were also slightly different. At least prior to 2003, the bars mounted on the serrated triggers had a steeper curve where they met the connector.

ARBLDR
07-21-09, 17:25
Acutally I prefer the smooth I think they groove the others because of the size and leave the med frame glocks smooth for the use of gloves and full contact with you finger.Sounds good to me

Palmguy
07-21-09, 17:33
Acutally I prefer the smooth I think they groove the others because of the size and leave the med frame glocks smooth for the use of gloves and full contact with you finger.Sounds good to me

They use the grooved trigger on the smaller models so that they have sufficient points to qualify for import into the country.

I use the smooth trigger on my Glocks; could I do without it? Yeah...but it's so cheap and easy to swap out that it's a no brainer for me, along with the Vickers mag release and G34 slide release. I will install these parts, if not already present, whenever I get a new Glock in the future.

4thPointOfContact
07-21-09, 18:40
Smooth trigger for me on th G17 and G23.

The grooved "target trigger" was a concession to the BATFE for 'import points'.

geminidglocker
07-21-09, 18:47
I don't see how the surface finish of the trigger in anyway affects the importability. I know that this is the reason, but for the life of me don't understand. Is it a "High-Comfortability, Assault Trigger" if it does'nt have the grooves???:confused:Have there been too many "Drive-by" Smooth triggerings in the recent past???:confused:

Palmguy
07-21-09, 19:33
I don't see how the surface finish of the trigger in anyway affects the importability. I know that this is the reason, but for the life of me don't understand. Is it a "High-Comfortability, Assault Trigger" if it does'nt have the grooves???:confused:Have there been too many "Drive-by" Smooth triggerings in the recent past???:confused:

I think this quote from SHIVAN says it all...

Remember, this is the group that rules a shoelace could be a machinegun.

dewatters
07-21-09, 19:35

The import points system was part of the Gun Control Act of 1968. It was to prevent the importation of small and cheap "non-sporting" handguns. There are minimum length and height restrictions; extra length over and above this adds points. There are points gained as weight increases. Certain calibers/chamberings score higher points than others. Also factored in are the frame construction; different grades of steel score points while other metals (and plastic) do not. Loaded chamber indicators plus grip, magazine, and firing pin safeties each earn points. Locked breech weapons get points while blowbacks do not. Exposed hammers gain points as do double action triggers. "Target" features also score points, like grooved triggers (target trigger), finger grooves (target grip), and adjustable sights.

geminidglocker
07-21-09, 19:42
Simply put, Thank you dewatters. I wish that Glock could call the smooth trigger the target trigger.

HeadHunter
07-21-09, 20:01
I dry fired my new G19 more today than most people shoot their pistols in a lifetime. Really looking forward to putting a smooth trigger on it.

ARBLDR
07-21-09, 20:17
Sorry to switch gears but has anyone tried the aluminum trigger for the glocks?Does it provide a better feel I have ghost triggers in both my race gun(34)and my home defense gun(17 GEN1) would this be a good investment?Thanks for the info gentelman.

DacoRoman
07-21-09, 21:22
I used to drop in lightning strike aluminum triggers on my Glocks, loved them.

I'm curious, why did you stop? Did you ever have any problems?

G19leo
07-22-09, 16:14
Same as others. I must have the 8lb or NY1 trigger. I put the smooth trigger in the 27 about 9 years ago. Best.... decision.......... ever.

Condition Yellow
07-26-09, 15:21
Where could I get a smooth trigger? Where does everyone get the NY trigger spring and 3.5 disconnector?

cougar_guy04
07-26-09, 15:37
Where could I get a smooth trigger? Where does everyone get the NY trigger spring and 3.5 disconnector?
Brownells and MidwayUSA carry the NY Trigger Spring and smooth trigger (It'll be listed as G17 Trigger w/ Trigger Bar or something similar). I got my LWD 3.5# connectors from MidwayUSA.

Trigger Springs:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=421099
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=49327/sku/Trigger_Spring__NY_1_Olive

Trigger w/ Trigger Bar:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=535394
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=49306/sku/Trigger_w_Trigger_Bar

LWD Connector (there are a bunch of options out there for 3.5# Connectors):
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=358424

Condition Yellow
07-26-09, 23:22
Thanks.