PDA

View Full Version : My new M&P .45 midsize w/thumb saftey

cathellsk
07-20-09, 23:18
Just picked it up at Buds today. We made a trip to Lexington to hit all the gunstores and they had this in stock. LEO model with night sights and ambi safety.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/01628.JPG

luv2pbal
07-21-09, 13:12
How is the size....to large to consider conceal carrying this? had a chance to take it to the range yet? i would like to get the crimson trace model from buds, but havent seen much about the midsize model yet

Mark71
07-21-09, 13:20
I am very interested in picking up the 4" mid size model. Let us know how it shoots.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-21-09, 13:29
For a second I thought you were going to show how you can run over it with your truck....

How is Bud's storefront, I've just seen them online.

Longhorn
07-21-09, 16:07
How is the size....to large to consider conceal carrying this? had a chance to take it to the range yet? i would like to get the crimson trace model from buds, but havent seen much about the midsize model yet

Check out 10-8 forums "Fighting Guns" section. Hilton Yam has a little "review" on the full, mid and compact M&P45s.

RogerinTPA
07-21-09, 16:15
Nice score. :cool: The Middy is IMHO, the best of the three M&P.45s. I have the full size, and it is my favorite, but wish the midsized would have been available when they first came out. No complaints though. The cost of ammo, on the other hand, is causing me heart palpitations.:eek:

cathellsk
07-21-09, 21:43
For a second I thought you were going to show how you can run over it with your truck....

How is Bud's storefront, I've just seen them online.

I've seen three different storefronts of their's going back to '02. The most recent one is on Winchester Rd. (take the first exit after I64 West splits and your on I75 South). Alot quicker to get to than the last store in Paris (outside Lexington). Its smaller by more than half the old stores size and its called Bud's Police Supply now instead of Bud's Gun Shop. From what I understood the worker telling me the other store is still open in Paris with Bud's name on it but its not owned by him anymore. He owns the website and the new store only.

I hope to shoot this new pistol come Thurs (if I can find any more ammo!). I'll report back how it shoots.

HK45
07-22-09, 15:29
Such a cool little pistol. Fits in my M&P full size holsters, accurate, easy to carry. I think I need another one.

Dozer
07-23-09, 08:52
This is the exact model I have been looking for. Damn that thing is nice!

DMR
07-23-09, 09:38
cathellsk,

Thanks alot, I think you pushed me over the edge finaly on the M&P. I just put myself on Bud's wait list. Now I need to clean out the rack, my Kimber looks to be in trouble.......

Grant if you have one of the 4" I'm interested, Model: 109107 or 109157

cathellsk
07-23-09, 21:46
This is the exact model I have been looking for. Damn that thing is nice!

cathellsk,

Thanks alot, I think you pushed me over the edge finaly on the M&P. I just put myself on Bud's wait list. Now I need to clean out the rack, my Kimber looks to be in trouble.......

Grant if you have one of the 4" I'm interested, Model: 109107 or 109157

Well this won't help any.....I finally shot it today it was simply amazing! For me anyway. Recoil was nothing what I was expecting, very controllable I thought. I also shot a friend's Para and it wasn't near as nice. Accuracy was great too. Shot very well both two and one handed. I only got to put about 250 rounds of FMJ downrange, its all I could scrounge up in short order with the ammo supply the way it is lately. I don't even have any hollowpoints yet. Anyway, if you can get one you WON'T be disappointed. I'm very happy with it. I haven't had a .45 I've been happy with for some time.

M4Fundi
07-24-09, 00:23
I'm a 1911/P-35 guy and I use a high thumbs hold (thumb rides safety) and have been looking seriously at these. Question: Can you/Do you ride the safety like a 1911?

cathellsk
07-24-09, 10:21
I'm a 1911/P-35 guy and I use a high thumbs hold (thumb rides safety) and have been looking seriously at these. Question: Can you/Do you ride the safety like a 1911?

Yes, you can and I do.

Dozer
07-24-09, 10:34
Well this won't help any.....I finally shot it today it was simply amazing! For me anyway. Recoil was nothing what I was expecting, very controllable I thought. I also shot a friend's Para and it wasn't near as nice. Accuracy was great too. Shot very well both two and one handed. I only got to put about 250 rounds of FMJ downrange, its all I could scrounge up in short order with the ammo supply the way it is lately. I don't even have any hollowpoints yet. Anyway, if you can get one you WON'T be disappointed. I'm very happy with it. I haven't had a .45 I've been happy with for some time.

You're right, it doesn't help. How the hell am I supposed to explain my next purchase to the wife? Thanks alot! ;)

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-24-09, 12:31
You're right, it doesn't help. How the hell am I supposed to explain my next purchase to the wife? Thanks alot! ;)

You need more guns. After about 5 of a kind, wives loose the ability to tell one black gun from another.

Cathellsky -The M&P I molested last week at the store had a safety that really didn't have any defined click for the safe and fire positions. I like safeties that 'snick' on and off. How is yours?

M4Fundi
07-24-09, 14:07
Thanks for the info Cat

I've found never tell your wife just how many guns you have so she can't count them and never tell her you do NOT have or that you NEED a particular gun because when it shows up and she uses that "selective memory" they all have to tell you "I thought you said you didn't have an AR" and you have to say (to avoid lying of course;))," Honey this isn't an AR which is made by Colt this is just an old N4 Noveske that I've had forever, but someday I'd like to have an AR:D"

JHC
07-24-09, 16:14
The appearance of yet another gun has never been the issue. It's the disappearance of funds that's the tricky part.

Re the OP, this may be the M&P model that hooks me.

Boris
07-24-09, 20:11
I had the opportunity to shoot the M&P 45 with the thumb safety before purchasing and opted to go without thumb safety to match my 9mm f/s. The "snick" wasn't nearly as positive as on a 1911 [this goes for any of the M&P thumb safeties I've felt] and albeit an added level of safety, something I didn't want on mine. Very pleased with my M&P 45.

cathellsk
07-24-09, 20:44
Cathellsk -The M&P I molested last week at the store had a safety that really didn't have any defined click for the safe and fire positions. I like safeties that 'snick' on and off. How is yours?

Forgot to mention that. It is a very defined snick. My brother's full size he used to have, one of the first ones available, was as you described. His reset on the trigger was also mushy and not well defined. The reset on mine is almost identical to my Glocks. To be honest I think its luck of the draw on these two points with the M&P but I haven't been reading up on them much lately till I got this .45.

M4Fundi
07-24-09, 23:57
I could care less about the extra safety device, I just need a place to put my thumb. The thumb safety keeps my grip securely in place and helps me control muzzle rise and is instinctively familiar... that is the only reason I want the thumb safety

HK45
07-25-09, 20:10
My philosophy is she isn't going to divorce me over it and she can only be mad for so long. Your mileage may vary...

SW-Shooter
07-27-09, 18:58
I first jumped on the M&P .45 bandwagon, that was until my M&P full sized .45 started experiencing FTF. Sent it back to smith and came back with a polished feed ramp. After 100 rounds it came back. Changed mags, ammo, and it still FTF. I sold it at a loss and will never own a S&W polymer again. I love their steel but no plastic for me.

TriumphRat675
07-27-09, 19:31
I first jumped on the M&P .45 bandwagon, that was until my M&P full sized .45 started experiencing FTF. Sent it back to smith and came back with a polished feed ramp. After 100 rounds it came back. Changed mags, ammo, and it still FTF. I sold it at a loss and will never own a S&W polymer again. I love their steel but no plastic for me.

Sorry to hear that... your experience is unfortunate and not representative of the experiences of the vast, vast majority of users, including myself. I have an early serial number .40 - S&W made some upgrades when it had a few teething issues and it now it runs like a champ. Anyone can make a lemon, and everyone does.

Did you give Smith another chance to make it right? Their warranty is the best in the business and the two times I've had to deal with them they have been unfailingly helpful and polite.

Dozer
07-28-09, 09:58
My philosophy is she isn't going to divorce me over it and she can only be mad for so long. Your mileage may vary...

I can usually get away with an extra one a year but since I'm building an SBR right now, I am pretty sure she will shoot this one down.