PDA

View Full Version : Pistol for 12yr. Old ? Range Report Update 07/26

crossgun
07-25-09, 10:56
Ok, I believe the time has come for me to explore getting my son his first 9mm pistol. I am looking for suggestions in something that would make sense for him in regards to size and overall weight.

He has shot my 22s for a while and the timing as well as interest is in something a little larger.

Dads and all please share your thoughts on possible pistols that I should take a look at.

Initial thoughts are toward an M&P. Possibly a compact.

lindertw
07-25-09, 11:52
My 8yo daughter has tried my Glock 19 a few times (her usual range piece is a Ruger MKIII 22/45), and the grip is too big for her at the moment. I'd like to have her try either a Springfield EMP 9mm 1911 (http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=24) or a Walther PPS (http://www.walther-pps.com/) and see how they fit her hand. 9mm 1911 commanders are fun, but they can be hard to find, and tend to be expensive to get and set up to run right all the time.

The M&P is a good choice; the interchangeable backstraps should help get a grip that fits him now, and grow with him later on... Good luck!

geminidglocker
07-25-09, 11:52
Might I suggest a Browning HP, or perhaps a CZ-75? I choose these due to the ergonomics of the grip. I don't know how large your sons hands are, but if they are not as large as full size adult hands, the two above pistols would probably due fine. I would stay away from the compacts for a training pistol, as there sight radius is minimal and perceived recoil impulse is greater. This can be discouraging to new pistol shooters. I'm not saying that a compact can't be just as accurate, just that it requires more disiplined manipulation of the weapon. Also, perhaps get a few instructional DVD's, to watch and learn from when actually going shooting is not doable. I find them helpful still, even though I've been shooting pistols for years.

Business_Casual
07-25-09, 12:05
I had a S&W Model 10 cross my mind, mainly for the trigger control it would teach.

M_P

Thomas M-4
07-25-09, 12:11
Might I suggest a Browning HP, or perhaps a CZ-75? I choose these due to the ergonomics of the grip. I don't know how large your sons hands are, but if they are not as large as full size adult hands, the two above pistols would probably due fine. I would stay away from the compacts for a training pistol, as there sight radius is minimal and perceived recoil impulse is greater. This can be discouraging to new pistol shooters. I'm not saying that a compact can't be just as accurate, just that it requires more disiplined manipulation of the weapon. Also, perhaps get a few instructional DVD's, to watch and learn from when actually going shooting is not doable. I find them helpful still, even though I've been shooting pistols for years.

I agree with geminiglocker a browningHP or EAA witness in 9mm both of those guns are super easy on recoil. A budy of mine that never owned a gun before until he shot my EAA witness[ terrible shot by the way] very next day went and bought a witness after shooting mine very easy pistol to shoot IMHO after he masters that he should be ready to move on to M&P or glocks no problem.
Buddy didnt know squat about guns and tried my glock and browning hp but got hooked on the EAA witness after about 4 shots.

Bob Reed
07-25-09, 12:24
Hello,

Another vote for The Browning High Power.
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/family.asp?webflag_=007B

FN's High Power Page.
http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=269&backPID=263&productID=74&pid_product=295&pidList=263&categorySelector=5&detail

Install a set of Navidrex Thin Micarta Stocks on it and he'll be set.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=23693/sku/Black_Micarta_HP_Thin_Grip

kaltblitz
07-25-09, 12:49
I learned to shoot pistols on an old GI 1911A1 when I was thirteen.

Since you want to stick with 9mm, I would agree that a Browning Hi Power or S&W M&P is not a bad place to start.

Mr.Goodtimes
07-25-09, 12:54
I think an M&P would be a great start (full size) and it can grow with him. When hes 18 it will still be a great weapon.

I think a Sig 226 would also be an excellent (althought a little more expensive) option. I learned to shoot a handgun with a sig 226 9mm at age 13.

87GN
07-25-09, 15:12
I too would go for the BHP.

rat31465
07-25-09, 16:31
When my oldest Daughter was 12 years old I taught her to shoot a handgun using an Interarms M43 Firestar. It is a steel framed compact 9mm based on the 1911 design. Being steel framed it wasn't bad on recoil and she learned to shoot it exceptionally well with factory loaded ammo.
Decent factory sights and controls.
I am not sure of the availability of these any longer but I have a Grandson who I hope to
find on of these for when it comes time to teach him about Shooting a Handgun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Firestar_M43

MarshallDodge
07-25-09, 17:24
The M&P wouldn't be bad, it would definitely teach trigger control.

I am not sure what your budget is but my 11 year old shoots my Springfield Loaded in 9mm and loves it but he has not shot an M&P.

A Sig P6/225 or a P226, or the CZ-75 would be good options as well.

DARK-KNIGHT
07-25-09, 17:44
I recently bought my 8 yr old son a Sig Mosquito 22, and he likes it. If his hands were a little bigger I would probably go with a G19. The M&P is also another good option, but I guess it really depends on what feels comfortable to him.

Mr.Goodtimes
07-25-09, 18:19
why dont you take him to the gun shop and let him pick out the gun he likes best/ fits him best?

geminidglocker
07-25-09, 18:31
why dont you take him to the gun shop and let him pick out the gun he likes best/ fits him best?
Unfortunately there is a federal law which prohibits FFL holders from allowing anyone under 18 to handle a handgun in there place of business. Creepy, just like all of the other stupid BATFE rulings. It may have been changed by now, but when I sold guns(96'-02') that was the case.

Buckaroo
07-25-09, 18:41
My 10 yr old daughter likes my M&P full size just as much as the Ruger Mark II

Buckaroo

Mr.Goodtimes
07-25-09, 19:36
Unfortunately there is a federal law which prohibits FFL holders from allowing anyone under 18 to handle a handgun in there place of business. Creepy, just like all of the other stupid BATFE rulings. It may have been changed by now, but when I sold guns(96'-02') that was the case.

i thought if you had a parent with you it was legal?

8200rpm
07-25-09, 21:46
Just my observation... I shot a CZ-75 side-by-side with a Glock 19. Although the recoil on the CZ is definitely light, but the G19 "felt" like it recoiled less.

It's an oversimplified exaggeration, but it is like the difference between hitting concrete with an steel pipe vs. hitting the same concrete with a wiffleball bat. The CZ has a bit more "sting" to it than a polymer Glock. The difference is pretty subtle, but there is a difference. My $0.02.

capcop9
07-26-09, 04:10
might i suggest the glock 26, due to the fact that it has a smaller grip, the trigger reset allows the shooter to take all the slack out before the gun goes off, and little recoil

87GN
07-26-09, 14:05
Donde esta range report?

crossgun
07-26-09, 14:13
First, thanks to all those that replied.

Well we went to the range today with a pile of pistols. First we tried one of my M&Ps in 9mm with a small back strap that has had work done on it by Burwell. He seemed to handle that pretty well and I was initially worried about the size of the frame. We also tried a 40 with reduced loads just like the gamers in USPSA production run. When we did that we did find out that my son doesn’t like the aggressive grip treatment that in on my 9mm. So he liked the reduced 40 better but what he really liked was the smoother frame and grip.

Honestly I can tell you at this point the biggest problem is trying to understand what he is actually saying seeing as he doesn’t speak "GUN" like the rest of us here.

We also tried a Glock 17 that he showed some interest in even though I personally hate them. Can’t fault the kid for liking what we all know works. I also mixed up an M&P with a full size slide and a compact frame. It’s not really something to consider for numerous reason but I did learn it would be a waste to get a compact as it would not be long that I would wish he would have a full size frame.

I have yet to try the Hi-Power but want to as the more I learn and hear about them sounds like it might just be the ticket. Hopefully next weekend we can get out again. Possibly the Hi-Power will have a little bigger trigger than the Glock and M&P. We will work at home dry firing the full size stock 9mm M&P for now.

More to follow and still open minded to other suggestions.

skyugo
07-26-09, 19:25
the M&P might be good cause you can change the backstrap as his hands grow.

HK has some guns like that too right? course you have to sell your firstborn to afford an HK, so it kind of defeats the whole point of buying the gun. ;)

Outrider
07-26-09, 22:01
HK has some guns like that too right? course you have to sell your firstborn to afford an HK, so it kind of defeats the whole point of buying the gun. ;)

I was thinking along those lines too. The first thing is to find a pistol where he likes how it feels in his hand, something that is comfortable for him. If you're looking for something with a good feeling grip HK's P30 or P30L should provide decent ergonomics.

As has been suggested, the Browning Hi-Power is a good way to go. It was one of the first semi-auto pistols I had any experience with as a kid. A friend of the family who was in LE took me to the range. In the store they had one, and after trying several other pistols it just fit right. The guy behind the counter was a retired cop and he said "That boy has good taste."

As far as other possibilities, I'd look at a Walther P99 in 9mm. It will have a good grip and swappable backstraps although the triggers are not great. I'd also look at a few single stack 9mm pistols for their slimmer grip (i.e. a Sig 225 or Sig 239) since your son is only 12 and probably does not quite have man sized hands yet.

Combat_Diver
08-08-09, 09:49
Crossgun,

I would also suggest the BHP, other single stack guns like a Kahr, used P38/P1, SIG 225/P6, Helwan (951 Brigadiar), TT33 Tokerov's were also imported in 9mm. For even more versabiltiy there is the Ruger Blackhawk in .38/.357 with 9mm cylinder.

Iraq copy of the 951 Beretta
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/rz_P6060044.JPG

CD