PDA

View Full Version : HK P30 am I nuts or ....

shadco
07-29-09, 21:14
I spent sometime the other day going over an HK P30 9mm and comparing it to the Sig 226 I ended up getting.

Is there anyway to use that mag release without having to alter your grip to get to it???

Why would they design it that way?

I had shot one that a friend had and found it to be a great shooter but there is no way I could come to grips with the mag release.

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-29-09, 21:16
That mag release is very fast. I can operate it easily using my trigger finger. I cannot dump the mag on most guns, including a SIG, without changing my grip (or reversing the button). But hey, everybody has their own thing.

John_Wayne777
07-29-09, 21:20
I carried a USP and a Walther P99 which both use the same system as the P30. I never had a problem using it. In fact, it worked pretty good, in my opinion.

VA_Dinger
07-29-09, 21:21
As Greg already stated use your trigger finger. Just relax your grip slightly and it's easy as pie and VERY fast once you get used to it.

Sigmax
07-29-09, 22:19
I have had to adapt to the mag release on my hk45c, coming from 1911's and SIG's. And at first it was strange but I was surprised how fast I adapted to being able to activate it with my trigger finger.

It really does work pretty fast if you just give yourself a chance to get used to it.

Mate
07-30-09, 00:06
I love the ambi paddle on the P30. Less chance of popping my mag out while my gun is holstered.

High Tower
07-30-09, 05:22
I agree with the others. I prefer that style of mag release to the others. Its faster for me. But its an entirely a preference/training thing.

mmike87
07-30-09, 06:00
I use my strong hand thumb ... the way I was trained to perform mag changes it actually works very well for me.

John_Wayne777
07-30-09, 07:37
I usually used both my trigger finger and thumb to activate the mag release on the USP and P99. It was basically a "pinching" action I naturally used the first time I picked my first USP up.

ToddG
07-30-09, 08:39
The paddle release is a love-it-or-hate-it kind of thing. One very experienced shooter/instructor I've worked with absolutely hates it and swears that his students, many of whom are federal LEOs issued the P2000, struggle with it all the time.

On the other hand, I found it a very simple transition when moving from the M&P to the P30. But I've been using my trigger finger to release my mags since the late 90's: Berettas, SIGs, Smiths, and now the P30. As others have said, I can manipulate every single control on the P30 without shifting my grip at all.

Part of the dislike for the paddle release comes from issues early on with the USP series in which people were sometimes likely to ride the release, causing mags to drop during the firing cycle. And for those who absolutely insist on using the thumb, it can be a more difficult transition and/or require more movement of the gun to reach it properly. This is a common complaint among those who believe there is "one true way" to release the mag.

Falar
07-30-09, 08:55
The paddle release is a love-it-or-hate-it kind of thing. One very experienced shooter/instructor I've worked with absolutely hates it and swears that his students, many of whom are federal LEOs issued the P2000, struggle with it all the time.

On the other hand, I found it a very simple transition when moving from the M&P to the P30. But I've been using my trigger finger to release my mags since the late 90's: Berettas, SIGs, Smiths, and now the P30. As others have said, I can manipulate every single control on the P30 without shifting my grip at all.

Part of the dislike for the paddle release comes from issues early on with the USP series in which people were sometimes likely to ride the release, causing mags to drop during the firing cycle. And for those who absolutely insist on using the thumb, it can be a more difficult transition and/or require more movement of the gun to reach it properly. This is a common complaint among those who believe there is "one true way" to release the mag.

My first pistols used the "button" style release (1911, Beretta M9/92FS) and found the transition a bit odd at first. Once I started using my trigger finger though I found I loved the paddle style as I could never trip it accientally as with a button style and I could engage it without altering my grip. I prefer it now to any other mag release.

HK45
07-30-09, 09:56
I had always thought that i wold dislike the paddle release because its was different from what I had used for 30+ years. Plus until the latest models they seem pretty tiny to me and my ape like hands. But it turns out that I love it. I use my trigger finger and it is the fastest easiest thing going to release a mag.

decodeddiesel
07-30-09, 10:12
I carried a USP and a Walther P99 which both use the same system as the P30. I never had a problem using it. In fact, it worked pretty good, in my opinion.

I agree, mag changes with my P99 (same system as P30) using my trigger finger to activate the mag release are lightning fast and require no shifting of my grip. I cannot say the same of my 1911 and M&P.

loupav
07-31-09, 09:39
I use to shoot a lot of Sigs and now I shoot a lot of HKs. P7's, USP, P2000's and HK45. I never had a problem, even when I had just switched over.

Personally I think it's a better design and more pistols should use it since it is ambidextrous out of the box.

Bob RI
07-31-09, 22:26
I learned this system on my Walther P99 - I like it! it did not take long at all to get used to it.

kmrtnsn
07-31-09, 22:34
Re-thinking that P226 buy yet?