PDA

View Full Version : Concealable OWB plain clothes duty holster

givo08
08-04-09, 19:09
I'm looking for recommendations on a concealable duty holster for plainclothes wear. I'd prefer a retention style holster and have looked at a level 2 safariland and a blackhawk serpa. Any comments/opinions on these two as far as performance of the retention mechanism as well as concealability of the holster under a light jacket or suit? Also feel free to add any other suggestions. Thanks!

ST911
08-05-09, 00:41
I'm looking for recommendations on a concealable duty holster for plainclothes wear. I'd prefer a retention style holster and have looked at a level 2 safariland and a blackhawk serpa. Any comments/opinions on these two as far as performance of the retention mechanism as well as concealability of the holster under a light jacket or suit? Also feel free to add any other suggestions. Thanks!

Do us proud: Get a concealable holster for your plainclothes assignment. Depart from the LE norm, and actually conceal it.

Recommend you pass on all things Serpa. Read previous threads on the topic via the search function.

As you shop options... Consider what uniform duty holster you use, how much muscle memory and competency you have established with it, and how your concealment gear may diverge from it and create conflict. Many find that a simple level-1 holster requiring only a positive draw meets their needs, without any divergent deployment methods or muscle memory.

If you want a level 2, remaining devoid of said conflicts, take a look at the Sure-Lock offerings from Holster Plus. The retention latch is disengaged through gripping the gun. High quality kydex (100) and excellent build quality. Recommended. http://www.holstersplus.com/Products.aspx?CAT=40

txfireguy2003
08-05-09, 01:24
I've been eyeballing the Bianchi paddle lock, and snap lock models. This is the one with the small lever on the rear (would be right where you middle finger grips the weapon) so that when you grap the gun, your middle finger disengages the lock. They have one that is a paddle style, one that has belt loops that snap around your belt for easy removal without removing belt, and they have a standard style with belt slots. I've played with them a bit, but haven't owned one, so I can't comment any further than they seem pretty nice to me.

Bob Reed
08-05-09, 08:08
Hello,

You might find some useful info & ideas via. the following link, check out post #5.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35102

High Tower
08-05-09, 09:10
I would recommend trying the paddle lock before you buy it. Ihave one for the 1911 and its pretty annoying. After taking a Pincus class with it, it sits in the box now.

Kilroy
08-06-09, 20:48
I would recommend trying the paddle lock before you buy it. Ihave one for the 1911 and its pretty annoying. After taking a Pincus class with it, it sits in the box now.

You are not alone in that regard. Serious practice and experience usually quell most folks desire for that particular holster.

jhs1969
08-07-09, 21:31
I like Safariland products, they have several types to choose from. I use the same model as the FBI, I don't remember the model number. I have used many holsters before but I've gone completely to Safariland for concealment, not for competion, but concealment. They can be had for a very good price, mine was $50, and require no break in. The ones I have have performed very well.

The Serpa is defnitely not for concealment, at least mine wasn't. It stood wide off the belt, I couldn't conceal it under anything but the heaviest of winter coats. I don't really like the retention system very well either. There is more info around here on this if you want to look father into it.

rathos
08-07-09, 21:56
Currently for off duty and plain clothes I use a serpa. I find it conceals just fine under an unbuttoned shirt, a hawaiian or guayaberashirt that is about one size too big. Also, if the weather permits wearing a good sport coat will work with it as well. If you are wearing a vest (and I hope you do) you will have to get your shirts and sport coats a bit bigger anyway.

If the serpa doesn't float your boat, the new ALS holsters from Safariland aren't bad. I found that with a little bit of practice they were fairly easy to use, although they are a bit bigger then the serpa offerings.

Good luck!

MSP "Sarge"
08-07-09, 23:01
I use an ALS from Safariland and like it. Make sure you practice with it. Works good under a jacket or sweatshirt.

skyugo
08-09-09, 13:50
You are not alone in that regard. Serious practice and experience usually quell most folks desire for that particular holster.

i had my fobus paddle come off my pants with the gun one too many times... i prefer something that is actually attached to the belt now...
granted i never considered the fobus to be a real serious holster.

Kilroy
08-09-09, 14:52
... granted i never considered the fobus to be a real serious holster.

As "meatfood" may contain some actual parts of meat, the Fobus "holster" does have many similarities to actual holsters. That does not make it suitable for any serious consideration.

El Cid
08-09-09, 15:13
I like Safariland products, they have several types to choose from. I use the same model as the FBI, I don't remember the model number.

I believe the only Safariland holster the FBI issues to anyone these days is the 6004 family of drop leg holsters. I know some agents have bought their own ALS (6377 or 6378) or 560/561 (now slightly different and sold as the 568) for concealment use.

I think the old issue paddle (all plastic, open top) was a Safariland product, but it was breaking too often. The current issue concealable holster is the Don Hume H726. http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67_368_121&products_id=49 It's a very well made and thought out holster IMO. The front cutaway allows you to turn the weapon toward the threat almost immediately, but still has a thumbbreak for moderate retention. This has been the issued holster since late 2005.

Reddevil
08-09-09, 15:21
I'm not sure what your policy is regarding holsters, but mine allows me to carry a level one when concealed. I carry my Sig P229 w/TLR light in a Raven Concealment Phantom. This holster is amazing. It's so flat, that I could get away with wearing a loose fitting t-shirt over it, but I usually wear a polo shirt or button down shirt with jeans. Mine has quite a bit of retention to it in order to draw the weapon, not that it would prevent someone from grabbing it. I would almost consider it a level 2. My daily activities require me to be completely concealed, with long hours sitting in a UC vehicle, but we do sneaky snatch and grabs of wanted felons so my gun is always out well before contact. With the size of gun I have to carry, this is the most comfortable holster I've owned and used for it. My previous holster was an Aker Nightguard, but putting the gun away to go hands on was difficult with the leather thumb break. The SERPA holsters are not what I'd call concealable, unless under a jacket maybe. Prior to putting the TLR on, I carried the 229 in a Safariland model which had just the ALS lever on the side. It was sold in a paddle model and I bought the belt attachment for it. liked it a lot, it was fast to draw and concealed decently because it was more curvy than the SERPAs.

jhs1969
08-10-09, 01:21
I believe the only Safariland holster the FBI issues to anyone these days is the 6004 family of drop leg holsters. I know some agents have bought their own ALS (6377 or 6378) or 560/561 (now slightly different and sold as the 568) for concealment use.

I think the old issue paddle (all plastic, open top) was a Safariland product, but it was breaking too often. The current issue concealable holster is the Don Hume H726. http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67_368_121&products_id=49 It's a very well made and thought out holster IMO. The front cutaway allows you to turn the weapon toward the threat almost immediately, but still has a thumbbreak for moderate retention. This has been the issued holster since late 2005.

Here is the one I was refering to, I see their description has changed now. When I ordered mine they referenced several Federal agencies that issued this model, now I see they no longer do. I have been very pleased with this one.

http://www.holsters.com/concealment/holsters/model528.asp

givo08
08-10-09, 19:25

How well does the 6377 conceal compared to a standard pancake style holster like that Don Hume?

El Cid
08-11-09, 15:23
Here is the one I was refering to, I see their description has changed now. When I ordered mine they referenced several Federal agencies that issued this model, now I see they no longer do. I have been very pleased with this one.

http://www.holsters.com/concealment/holsters/model528.asp
I've seen people with those and most like them. A lot of the folks who still have Sigs are using that holster. Not sure what time period it was issued. The Hume is the standard issue at the academy and in general. Some local groups can and do spend money on other holsters if they see a need. As with anything... it's how well you aritculate the need. Our squad bought the Hume night guard (or something like that) for use with our Glocks and lights. They rode too high for our tastes and nobody liked them, so they were returned.

How well does the 6377 conceal compared to a standard pancake style holster like that Don Hume?
Tough to say. The only person I've seen using the 6377 was in instructor at the range and it wasn't concealed. I imagine it would be close to the 561 I have which can be tough to hide well because it's not pulled into the body. The Hume conceals VERY well - especially for such large weapons (G22 and 1911). I only stopped using it because I now carry an X300 on the G22 (in a Raven Concealment Phantom).

Some folks keep their stuff concealed almost all the time (I'm in that group). Some never conceal it. Some conceal it, but don't care if it's easy to spot because they want a vertical holster or Serpa, or something that isn't held close to the body. Some use IWB holsters (I only use mine when wearing a shorter length shirt). Some use fanny packs. Some probably would need an hour to find their sidearms. It would be easy to find holster "X" and say it's used by agency "Y" and not be wrong. For plainclothes use, uniformity isn't an issue so there are almost as many options as there are opinions. :cool: