PDA

View Full Version : Sig P228R vs Glock 19

AR15thur
08-06-09, 15:02
I know there are like 9000 "help me pick a 9mm" threads, but I'm still at a loss.

I've handled examples of both, shot both, and here are the facts:
The Sig feels great and I'm more accurate with it
The Glock felt fine too, and I own a Glock 17, though I'm not completely sold on it yet.

I know that Sig has some QC problems of late, but the 228R is a German/American hybrid, so I don't know if they are a little less susceptible to problems.

I've also read of some cheap out-sourced parts on the Glock 19, and that they're susceptible to 'limp-wristing'. I've also read that some larger bullets may have a hard time being chambered in the 19.

I need something reliable and small enough for carry, and I want something that I can maintain relatively easily as well.

Does anyone have an opinion between the two? Or can someone recommend something better?

IrishDevil
08-06-09, 17:19
"I need something reliable and small enough for carry, and I want something that I can maintain relatively easily as well."

You just described the 19, but the 228 is a great handgun also. I think the Glock would better suit your needs as they have been described.

Vinh
08-06-09, 18:13
I wouldn't look at it in terms of build quality.

More along the lines of this:
If you have unlimited time and money for training and ammo, I might consider the Sig.
If not, then don't.

The Glock will require much less effort when it comes to shooting and maintenance.

SteyrAUG
08-06-09, 18:35
Take a look at the SIG Pro before you decide.

GLOCKMASTER
08-06-09, 20:11
I have carried a P228 and a G19 and I feel that you cannot go wrong with either one. I have been carring a G19 for several years now also I own a spare G19 and I have never had an issue with either one. I just prefer the G19 over the 228.

I say that you cannot go wrong with either one. Don't get hung up on the small stuff if you are trying to decide between these two companies and pistols.

AR15thur
08-06-09, 20:41
Also, can anyone comment on the durability of the 228 slide vs. the 229 version?

My defense ammunition is Federal 147gr HST. I don't really put any +p rounds through any of my guns.

Kilroy
08-06-09, 20:51
Also, can anyone comment on the durability of the 228 slide vs. the 229 version?

My defense ammunition is Federal 147gr HST. I don't really put any +p rounds through any of my guns.

228 with the welded sheet metal slide and inserted breech block?

Cheesy description aside, you'll likely not live as long as either pistol will last.

If hand size is an issue, the 19 beats the 228 in every way.

SteyrAUG
08-06-09, 23:43
228 with the welded sheet metal slide and inserted breech block?

Cheesy description aside, you'll likely not live as long as either pistol will last.

If hand size is an issue, the 19 beats the 228 in every way.

I've personally retired two SIGs, well technically one was temporarily.

SIG 226 1985 date code that I put 25k rounds through before I cracked the frame.

SIG 228 1992 date code with probably 25k rounds through it and I just cracked the slide this year. New slide and I'm good to go again.

My oldest Glock is a 1986 date IIRC but I haven't put near as many rounds down it. I think Glocks will far outlast a SIG but I still prefer the SIG as my primary handgun because they fit me better and the triggers are so much nicer. I just shoot better with SIGs.

loupav
08-07-09, 09:49
I've had a Sig P228 for years. I took my first pistol class with it, and up until my P2000 it was the pistol I thought people how to shoot with.

I just got a G19 a few months ago. But I've shot them before.

All I'm saying is that with my experience is that the P228 is much easier to shoot. People who shot it always came back to it.

jeremy45
08-07-09, 10:13
I carry a G19 with 147gr HST daily. I've never had a problem with it and I like the way it carries. I even bought a second G19 just to make sure I always have one with me. I can't comment on the Sig, but I can strongly recommend a G19 for carry from personal experience.

Jeremy45

mike benedict
08-07-09, 10:21
the G19 is probably the worlds best carry pistol

ra2bach
08-07-09, 10:45
to me, these two pistols are like apples and oranges. if you like the DA/SA of the SIG, for whatever reason, then pick that. if you prefer the striker fired action of the Glock, then get that. the difference in the two actions is defining - after this, nothing will really matter as much.

Apollo11
08-07-09, 10:47
the G19 is probably the worlds best carry pistol

+1

Don't worry about the limp wristing stuff about the 19. There has not been a rash of people jamming the gun with their inability to maintain the grip/compensate for recoil.

The G19 is a great pistol, it eats any hollow point ammo, and it fits 90% of the hands out there. Plus its about $400 cheaper than a Sig.

kmrtnsn
08-07-09, 11:58
The P228R: a 1985 slide mounted on a 2005 frame for sale in 2009.

It is a new century, get thee to the gun store and take a look at the USPc in 9mm, the P30, or the P2000.

Irish
08-07-09, 12:16
You would be able to use your G17 magazines in the G19 which is a good thing for spare carry mags. Limp wristing is a bullshit internet rumor from a bunch of D-bags who don't know how to properly hold a pistol during recoil, it's not an issue.

Irish
08-07-09, 12:20
Limp wristing https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=427910#post427910

AR15thur
08-07-09, 12:34
Limp wristing https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=427910#post427910

Yea, I've been reading and posting over there too.

I've just recently bought the 17, and I'm currently still getting used to it. I'd had XD's and an M&P before, and just wasn't really happy with either of those guns.

I had some problems with the 17 throwing brass in my face, but that's lessened some now, and I do think my grip may've been part of the problem. I haven't had any actual problems out of the gun other than that though.

I'm leaning toward the 19 for size/weight sake, and also that extra $300 I'd put toward the Sig could go for ammo or training.

82ndtrooper
08-07-09, 12:40
I've carried the Sig P228 for a while now. However mine is not a "railed" version like the recent run of new P228's.

Mine came with a HI-VIS front sight and one 15 round Pre-Ban magazine with the extended floorplate, and this was still during the AWB.

I've since purchased some 15 rounders and factory 13 rounders and she's still going strong and accurate. I've replaced the barrel once and the recoil spring twice. Just for good measure.

She's got app: 14,000 rounds through it and I can't ever remember a failure to feed or failure to eject, I swear.

I wouldn't take $1,000 for her.................................well maybe. :cool:

Apollo11
08-07-09, 13:10
Yea, I've been reading and posting over there too.

I've just recently bought the 17, and I'm currently still getting used to it. I'd had XD's and an M&P before, and just wasn't really happy with either of those guns.

I had some problems with the 17 throwing brass in my face, but that's lessened some now, and I do think my grip may've been part of the problem. I haven't had any actual problems out of the gun other than that though.

I'm leaning toward the 19 for size/weight sake, and also that extra $300 I'd put toward the Sig could go for ammo or training.

That sounds like a winner. Training is always good, and in this case easy to justify with the savings.

rathos
08-07-09, 15:57
I just bought a sig 228R. I will tell you, out of the box the sig triggers suck. Since they are putting their coating on a lot of the pieces on the inside of the gun they take a thousand rounds or so to break in. They fell very gritty at first and about a pound heavier on double and two pounds heavier on single then what sig advertises.

Overall its a great gun. Just qualified with it yesterday and outshot the 3 glock 17s that were qualifing in the same string, by about 50 points each.

Personally, even with the trigger issues, I would go with the sig, as the glock 19 chews up my hands

Parabellum9x19mm
08-07-09, 16:13
love my P228R as well.

i'm a fan of the carbon steel slides, so i jumped at the chance to get a new production SIG, made in the old style w/ all-German manufacture.

Apollo11
08-07-09, 16:48
love my P228R as well.

i'm a fan of the carbon steel slides, so i jumped at the chance to get a new production SIG, made in the old style w/ all-German manufacture.

The slides are made in Germany, but the gun is put together in NH. They use a mix of US and German parts for the frame.

Parabellum9x19mm
08-08-09, 21:50
i know they're assembled in the US, but the frame and slide are made in germany

still prefer the Herndon VA guns, but of the new Exeter NH SIGs my favorite is the P228R

Turnkey11
08-08-09, 22:31
My pic would be the G19 for simplicity sake. I rarely shoot my beretta or sig anymore since getting the glock, trigger being the main reason.

Peshawar
08-10-09, 03:56
I love the Glocks because you can detail strip them (if necessary) with a ball point pen. They are very simple. The trigger takes time to learn, but once you do, it's hard to forget (like riding a bike). They can be plenty accurate.

I am, by anyone's metric, inexperienced in the real-world application of shooting skills. But, I've taken the time to shoot a fair amount at the range. I also took part in an IDPA match last year (my first time, and hopefully not the last). There were 73 shooters, and I had a Glock 26 that day. Lots of guys had tricked out 1911's, as well as SIGs and other guns that were way more expensive than what I was shooting. Well, my overall score sucked balls, but that was because I was so slow. When rated for accuracy, I was third (of 73). That's not too bad I think, and even though I did terribly overall I think it shows that Glocks can hold their own accuracy-wise. They're definitely not more accurate than a good 1911, but they're good enough for most folks I believe.

Medicine Calf
08-10-09, 10:33
Limp wristing is a bullshit internet rumor from a bunch of D-bags who don't know how to properly hold a pistol during recoil, it's not an issue.

Might not be a major issue, but I recall Vickers acknowledging it in the past. Couldn't it become a factor in the event of wounds, or weak hand firing under stress?