PDA

View Full Version : Lefty Sig P226

JMCSD
08-08-09, 23:26
Hello everyone! Newb here :(. My question is this; is there a Sig P226 available with the slide release and decocker on the right hand side for me, the lefty? :).

kmrtnsn
08-08-09, 23:32
If you want a true ambi pistol buy an HK; P2000, P30, P45.

kmrtnsn
08-08-09, 23:34
To answer your question; NO. You can get a left magazine release and nothing more from SIG. Did I mention that HK makes true ambi pistols?

Army Chief
08-09-09, 05:37
The real question here isn't "does SIG make a mirror-image P226?," but rather "to what degree is a P226 compatible with left-handed operation?" In reality, the decocker presents relatively few problems for a portsider, given that (a) it is not a part of the normal operational manual of arms (i.e. you don't manipulate it during the draw and fire sequence), and (b) it can readily be operated by the left-hand index finger with a slightly-modifed grip.

I'm not suggesting the SIG design is optimal, but I am saying that, as a left-handed firer, you might as well get used to work-arounds, and in the case of the SIG, those aren't too problematic. I carried one (P226) as a LE duty weapon for a few years, and never had a problem. You learn to adapt, and the adaptation in this case isn't terribly counter-intuitive. Training is more of a factor here than the tool used.

Now, it's true that the latest generation of sidearms is generally more ambidextrous by design (which is a win-win for the portsider), but I wouldn't go so far as to say that a left-handed firer should only consider a totally-ambidextrous pistol. The 1911 works exceedingly well from the port side, provided an ambi safety has been fitted. In service guise, the Beretta 92F/M9 has also served me well. The Glock is not my preference, but it offers a truly ambidextrous operation, as does the HK P7, which I think every left-handed pistolero alive has grown to love at one time or another. I've owned several of them.

To get back on topic, is there such a thing as a reversed-out SIG? No, there isn't. Is that a particularly big deal for a left-handed firer? No, it isn't -- not nearly so much as you might think.

AC

JMCSD
08-12-09, 17:44
The real question here isn't "does SIG make a mirror-image P226?," but rather "to what degree is a P226 compatible with left-handed operation?" In reality, the decocker presents relatively few problems for a portsider, given that (a) it is not a part of the normal operational manual of arms (i.e. you don't manipulate it during the draw and fire sequence), and (b) it can readily be operated by the left-hand index finger with a slightly-modifed grip.

I'm not suggesting the SIG design is optimal, but I am saying that, as a left-handed firer, you might as well get used to work-arounds, and in the case of the SIG, those aren't too problematic. I carried one (P226) as a LE duty weapon for a few years, and never had a problem. You learn to adapt, and the adaptation in this case isn't terribly counter-intuitive. Training is more of a factor here than the tool used.

Now, it's true that the latest generation of sidearms is generally more ambidextrous by design (which is a win-win for the portsider), but I wouldn't go so far as to say that a left-handed firer should only consider a totally-ambidextrous pistol. The 1911 works exceedingly well from the port side, provided an ambi safety has been fitted. In service guise, the Beretta 92F/M9 has also served me well. The Glock is not my preference, but it offers a truly ambidextrous operation, as does the HK P7, which I think every left-handed pistolero alive has grown to love at one time or another. I've owned several of them.

To get back on topic, is there such a thing as a reversed-out SIG? No, there isn't. Is that a particularly big deal for a left-handed firer? No, it isn't -- not nearly so much as you might think.

AC

Well put... thanks for clarifying. After doing much research I must say what you've said is stated in many places.

TiroFijo
08-13-09, 09:39
I'm a civilian, but I've shot with some green berets here in Paraguay, they were using the M9, and always decocked the pistol when moving from one position to another... not too comfortable with the slide mounted decocker/safety. They wiped the thumb safety to verify it was in the off position when shooting or unholstering. A friend who is in SF at Bragg tells me that is standard procedure.

Perhaps the people that use the P226/P228 do not decock this often... or at least the lefties don't :)

ToddG
08-13-09, 14:03
FWIW, when I use a DA/SA pistol (most of my experience has been with SIGs and Berettas) I decock the pistol whenever I dismount the gun from a shooting position to a ready position. So if I scan, the gun gets decocked. Move, the gun gets decocked, Basically, if I'm not shooting or driving the gun to the next target, I decock.

Vinh
08-13-09, 14:13
Just curious Todd, during competition, did you ever decock while shooting a stage?

ToddG
08-14-09, 02:49
Vinh -- I never distinguished between how I shot a stage and how I operated the pistol outside of a competition environment. Actively shooting: keep shooting, don't decock. Moving: decock. I'd even decock before doing an unload/show clear ... just habit. Every time the gun moves from my shooting stance to a ready position, it gets decocked.

I don't decock when reloading, unless it's a more administrative reload (in which case I've brought the gun back to the ready position first so I've already decocked).

Part of it is training ... becoming proficient enough with the DA shot that it doesn't hinder you to decock and fire another shot DA instead of SA.

Part of it is mindset ... not falling into the trap of programming your brain to believe the DA shot is harder.

TiroFijo
08-14-09, 08:28
Excellent advice, Todd :)

I love shooting my revolvers in DA, and I also try to be very proficient for that critical first DA shot in the DA/SA pistols.

I never had a problem with the P226/228 decocker, but the M9 is uncomfortable for me. Still, the M9 is ambi, and the sig is not... a lefty would not be able to manipulate de decocker the way you do.