PDA

View Full Version : S&W Victory Model

William B.
08-09-09, 22:16
A dear family member of mine recently passed away and left a revolver to my father. It's a S&W Model 10 SN V630XXX. The "V" prefix on the SN leads us to believe it's a Victory Model. The finish appears to be chrome (not nickel). I believe it must be a custom finish from what little research I've done.
It has the 2in barrel with no ejector shroud.
It has no lanyard loop. There is, however, a mark where there may have been a lanyard loop at one time.
Does anybody know if they made a Victory Model with a chrome finish and no lanyard loop? I read that the Victory Model with the 2in barrel is pretty rare, but I don't know for sure. Does anybody know what a 2in Victory Model in 98% cond. would be worth? We appreciate all of your help.

citizensoldier16
08-09-09, 23:09
Some Google-fu produced these results:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_Model_10

http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/search?q=victory+model

The Model 10 "Victory" revolvers were produced by S&W prior to WWII for the Lend-Lease program for Great Britain. Most were produced in the then common .38/200 cartrige used by the RAF and British Army. Most had 5" or 6" barrels on them and were roughly finished in blue when they were shipped overseas as the S&W K-200 as they were more properly known. After the war, many were shipped back to the US and were converted for sale in the US. This conversion often included cutting down the barrel to 3" or 2", reaming the chamber to accept the American .38 round, and the addition of a chromed finish to make them more appealing for sale in the US. I'm not sure about your lanyard loop, but it sounds like that may have been removed as well. Judging by the info you provided, your pistol would be worth between $150 and $500 depending on its condition and how much it has been altered for US sale. Obviously unmolested guns can bring a premium especially when accompanied by authentic accessories such as a holster. Guns that have been heavily altered are valued lower.

EDIT: Can you post any pics?

f.2
08-09-09, 23:17
From the 3rd edition of the SCSW (standard catalog of smith & wesson)...

page 429 glossary - Victory Model: .38 M&P K frames produced during WWII, mostly for military usage, with a V (for Victory) or SV serial number prefix.

iow, they changed the designation to Model 10 later.

page 142 and most of page 143 is packed with .38 M&P K frame Victory model and variations.

2" bbl listed as "scarce"

lanyard loop: "A small quantity of approx 86 Victory models were made in the last of the SV serial range with a nickel finish but having the lanyard ring removed and the hole plugged"

like you said, didn't see anything on a chrome finish

pricing - grain of salt, 3rd ed. copyright 2006...

750 As New
600 Exc
425 VG
365 Good
275 Fair
135 Poor

citizensoldier16
08-09-09, 23:24
f.2: I wonder if there is any way to tell if the OP's was originally manufactured with a 2" bbl or if it was cut down after return to the US? From my research the chrome finish was applied aftermarket.

It looks like the SCSW puts the value a little higher than I found, but not by much.

SteyrAUG
08-09-09, 23:56
f.2: I wonder if there is any way to tell if the OP's was originally manufactured with a 2" bbl or if it was cut down after return to the US? From my research the chrome finish was applied aftermarket.

It looks like the SCSW puts the value a little higher than I found, but not by much.

Given that it was chromed it is almost a certainty that it is a post war bubba gun. Damn shame really. I love WWI/II guns and everytime a see a military rifle that got sporterized or a handgun that got chromed (sometimes the vets themselves did this at the motor pool) I just want to cry.

Chrome Lugers are especially painful.

f.2
08-10-09, 10:55

Not sure on the 2" bbl. I wonder if the crown condition would be the key?

citizensoldier16
08-10-09, 17:33
Not sure on the 2" bbl. I wonder if the crown condition would be the key?

You're probably right. Depending on how well the bbl was cut, it may or may not show signs. My bet is the rifling goes all the way to the end of the barrel and there's no crown.

To the OP: not bashing your gun, we're just debating. ;)

kaltblitz
08-10-09, 18:38
Please post some pics of the gun. Some of the guns that guys modified for carry back in the 50's and 60's are more than interesting. Depending on who did the work to it depends on the quality.

William B.
08-11-09, 20:49
My dad already went home (out of state) and took the gun with him so I can't post any pics. Sorry.
I think the 2in barrel is original. They would have had to reattach the front sight if it was cut, right? I can't see any signs of the sight having been moved. I didn't think to check the crown or rifling though.
An Airman gave the gun to my Grandmother at the Charleston AFB. I know you guys aren't bashing my gun. I'm not really worried about the "customizations". I just like it because it belonged to my Grandmother. Thanks a lot for all the input.