PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Sig P239

rjacobs
08-11-09, 12:05
Looking for a pistol for my sister. She went shooting with my dad a few weeks ago and they rented a few smaller auto pistols and revolvers for her to try out. She shot a compact Sig chambered in .380 and liked it a lot. I am guessing she shot the P232, but they cant remember. I dont think .380 is a bad round, but with .380 being a semi-difficult to find round right now I figured getting her something in 9mm would be a better choice since 9mm is so much easier to find and my family has a few guns chambered in 9mm already so we already have quite a bit of ammo.

I know the quality of Sig in general, but I am looking for some insight on the P239 specifically the 9mm version. Any thing to watch out for, gotcha's or anything like that or will it be GTG right out of the box.

dookie1481
08-11-09, 12:16
Looking for a pistol for my sister. She went shooting with my dad a few weeks ago and they rented a few smaller auto pistols and revolvers for her to try out. She shot a compact Sig chambered in .380 and liked it a lot. I am guessing she shot the P232, but they cant remember. I dont think .380 is a bad round, but with .380 being a semi-difficult to find round right now I figured getting her something in 9mm would be a better choice since 9mm is so much easier to find and my family has a few guns chambered in 9mm already so we already have quite a bit of ammo.

I know the quality of Sig in general, but I am looking for some insight on the P239 specifically the 9mm version. Any thing to watch out for, gotcha's or anything like that or will it be GTG right out of the box.

I have an older one, it seems like a good pistol for a SA/DA (which I hate). Truth be told, the only reason I still have it is because my dad bought it for me and I carried it for the short time I was in Iraq, else I would sell it. It's just too damn big relative to its' capacity. Seemed very accurate, though.

Jay

John_Wayne777
08-11-09, 13:38
Mine was purchased when Sig was the old Sig...before the management change and accompanying issues.

My P239 is a good little handgun. It's been reliable and it's a pretty accurate little handgun. I've never liked the controls on the Sig, personally, but the weapon worked well for what it was intended to be.

It's a decent handgun...but these days I'd much rather have something like an M&P or G19.

rjacobs
08-11-09, 13:52
She has shot my dads Glock 19 as well as my XD40SC and both were/are to big for her(she wants a purse gun basically). She really liked shooting the revolvers as well(dont know which ones she shot though). She also liked the Sig she shot, that is why I am trying to help her find a gun in that size range. Alot of people like the Ruger LCP or Kahr PM9, but I am not a fan of either, probably more a fan of the Kahr than the Ruger. There aren't to many other guns in that size and the P239, while not quite as small as the Kahr or Ruger, is pretty close.

I am trying to steer her clear of revolvers, I am just personally not a fan of them, but if I found a good deal on one I would probably get it for her.

shadco
08-11-09, 14:22

She may have shot the P238. I believe those are having issues. I like the original Sig formula and I probably wouldn't stray too far from that. P228's a good guns but may be a touch larger than she wants.

dirksterg30
08-11-09, 14:25
I am trying to steer her clear of revolvers, I am just personally not a fan of them, but if I found a good deal on one I would probably get it for her.

If revolvers work for her, that's what she should get. I don't particularly care for revolvers myself, but if that's what worked for my wife, I'd have no problem buying her one.

noops
08-11-09, 17:02
I'm pretty much all sig, all the time...Except when it comes to compacts. I train hard with sigs, I'm a certified armorer with Sig, and I like them. But I decided to go M&P compact for a compact. Lighter, more rounds, simpler. etc. But P239 is still a great shooter.

Great gun though. Dan's currently has some West German P239's that would probably be an excellent choice.

N

Beat Trash
08-11-09, 20:06
The 239 is a good gun, but also have your sister check out the S&W M&P compact in 9mm. Keep in mind she can change the grip size with the M&P9c.

rjacobs
08-11-09, 20:31
Well, I talked with her some more today and she has decided on a revolver. Her hands dont fit well around a double stack semi-auto pistol. She also said the DA pull on the SIG was pretty hard and she didnt care for carrying with the hammer cocked in her purse where something might happen.

She is looking at the S&W 442 and 642. Gotta figure out the differences on them. I wish they made a revolver in 9mm and not in .38 special or .357 mag, again not that they are bad rounds, but just can be difficult to find right now.

Joe Mamma
08-11-09, 21:00
rjacobs, I'm late to this thread, but I think a P239 9mm is an excellent choice for her. You should try to get her to at least shoot it if she already hasn't. The grip size on the P239 is relatively small.

I've carried revolvers (S&W .357's) but I can't get my follow up shots on target(s) fast enough for me to feel good about it. I'm not sure if that's a concern of hers, but tell her about that. The DA/SA Sig system is weird, but tell her to think of it as a traditional revolver (DA) first shot, with the luxury of fast (SA) follow up shots.

I've also carried a polymer frame Kahr. It's a great little gun, but it has reliablity issues like a lot of Kahrs.

I can't think of any P239 specific issues. However, as John_Wayne777 implied, I would also think twice about getting a current or recent production Sig. They seem to have quality/reliability issues. This is one of the rare situations where I'd feel better about getting something used.

That P232 has a really sharp kick. If she didn't complain about it, you've got one less thing to worry about.

I hope this helps.

Joe Mamma

rjacobs
08-11-09, 21:03
rjacobs, I'm late to this thread, but I think a P239 9mm is an excellent choice for her. You should try to get her to at least shoot it if she already hasn't. The grip size on the P239 is relatively small.

I've carried revolvers (S&W .357's) but I can't get my follow up shots on target(s) fast enough for me to feel good about it. I'm not sure if that's a concern of hers, but tell her about that. The DA/SA Sig system is weird, but tell her to think of it as a traditional revolver (DA) first shot, with the luxury of fast (SA) follow up shots.

I've also carried a polymer frame Kahr. It's a great little gun, but it has reliablity issues like a lot of Kahrs.

I can't think of any P239 specific issues. However, as John_Wayne777 implied, I would also think twice about getting a current or recent production Sig. They seem to have quality/reliability issues. This is one of the rare situations where I'd feel better about getting something used.

That P232 has a really sharp kick. If she didn't complain about it, you've got one less thing to worry about.

I hope this helps.

Joe Mamma

Thanks for the advice. Like I said in the previous post, she has pretty much decided on a S&W 642. She enjoyed shooting it and the grip felt good in her hands. Just got to find a ready supply of 38 special FMJ for the range.

curriek
08-11-09, 21:11
For range use it is not a bad shooter. Had to get rid of my P239 in favor of a USPc. For CCW it is a bit on the heavy side, and at a total capacity of 9 rounds, a little on the under powered side. The 239 did conceal well for me and it does have a nice feel to it grip wise. Long trigger pull IMO but a smooth one. If she is a new shooter I don't know if I would start her off with a DA/SA. Might be a little difficult to master at first.

Palmguy
08-11-09, 21:15
Well, I talked with her some more today and she has decided on a revolver. Her hands dont fit well around a double stack semi-auto pistol. She also said the DA pull on the SIG was pretty hard and she didnt care for carrying with the hammer cocked in her purse where something might happen.

She is looking at the S&W 442 and 642. Gotta figure out the differences on them. I wish they made a revolver in 9mm and not in .38 special or .357 mag, again not that they are bad rounds, but just can be difficult to find right now.

Interesting. Make sure she practices with the J-frame. I much prefer dealing with the DA/SA on the 239 over the DAO of a 642. I'm sure it's possible, it's just hard for me to grasp that the DA pull of a Sig is too much to handle but the always double action which feels even heavier to me on a 642 is manageable.

rjacobs
08-11-09, 21:42
Interesting. Make sure she practices with the J-frame. I much prefer dealing with the DA/SA on the 239 over the DAO of a 642. I'm sure it's possible, it's just hard for me to grasp that the DA pull of a Sig is too much to handle but the always double action which feels even heavier to me on a 642 is manageable.

I completely agree and dont really understand it myself, but she says she enjoyed shooting it much more than any of the semi-auto pistols she shot. If she gets it and then doesnt end up liking it, I am sure it wont be that difficult to sell and at least break even to try something else.

ST911
08-11-09, 23:25
The P239...in 9mm...is one of the most popular guns with ladies and youth at several area events. It's second only to the Glock 19.

They are generally a good fit for most, reliable with quality ammunition, and durable enough for most users. Recommended.

ToddG
08-12-09, 00:18
If she liked the 642 and will carry the 642, she's way ahead of most women. Be glad she wants to carry a gun and be proud that she took the time to choose one based on her shooting performance.

As far as the P239 goes, a short trigger is available for those who've got really tiny hands. If the DA pull is a challenge, there is a DAK version of the gun.

chadbag
08-12-09, 00:46
she didnt care for carrying with the hammer cocked in her purse where something might happen.

why would she carry this with a cocked hammer?

I have a P239 I carry in the winter in my Sig jacket but the P229 is now the carry gun, soon to be replaced with an M&P when I can get it set up the way I would like etc.

rjacobs
08-12-09, 09:48
If she liked the 642 and will carry the 642, she's way ahead of most women. Be glad she wants to carry a gun and be proud that she took the time to choose one based on her shooting performance.

As far as the P239 goes, a short trigger is available for those who've got really tiny hands. If the DA pull is a challenge, there is a DAK version of the gun.

Yea she said she liked shooting the 642, from everything I have read on it, its got pretty decent recoil and a pretty heavy trigger pull(I cant find a spec for the # though). I just dont understand why she wants it, but if thats the gun she shot and enjoyed shooting it, who am I to argue with that. My guess is though that she is going to get it, shoot it a bit more than 50 rounds and decide she doesnt like it, and I will inherit a revolver.

why would she carry this with a cocked hammer?

She didnt like the DA trigger pull of the first shot with the hammer down. I dont understand though how she could not like that, but be ok with the SW 642 that is always double action.

John_Wayne777
08-12-09, 11:11
I don't understand why they like candles you can't burn, soap you can't use, or little porcelain angel figurines with big sad eyes....

...but if it works....;)

chadbag
08-12-09, 11:16
She didnt like the DA trigger pull of the first shot with the hammer down. I dont understand though how she could not like that, but be ok with the SW 642 that is always double action.

Unless the gun has a mechanism for locking the hammer back, like the 1911, USP, etc, this is not a safe thing. It is not safe on a P239.

Alex F
08-12-09, 11:17
I'm coming into the thread late, but I also have to give a thumbs up to the 239. It'll probably be my next pistol purchase, as well.

I like the DA/SA SIG setup, and the trigger can be shortened (as has been mentioned).

They're reliable and accurate and you can load them with some decent 9mm rounds.

Revolvers are just fine as well. As long as she's comfortable with and trains with what she gets, that's all that really matters.

ST911
08-12-09, 12:41
I don't understand why they like candles you can't burn, soap you can't use, or little porcelain angel figurines with big sad eyes.... ...but if it works....;)

Don't ever use the soap.

Seriously.

It isn't worth it.

rjacobs
08-12-09, 13:17
Unless the gun has a mechanism for locking the hammer back, like the 1911, USP, etc, this is not a safe thing. It is not safe on a P239.

Thats what I am talking about, its not safe to do it on a 239 because of this fact. I dont think my dad realized this either and was trying to sway her to a "hammerless" gun, however the 642 is not hammerless, simply an internal hammer.

Im going to my local gun shop here in a bit to check out both the 239 and the 642 and see what I think. I will also probably check out a few others as well.

John_Wayne777
08-12-09, 13:45
Don't ever use the soap.

Seriously.

It isn't worth it.

...OR point out that the 19 dollar lighthouse soap dispenser they bought doesn't dispense soap as well as the one you bought WITH the soap for 99 cents at Wal-Mart.

40Arpent
08-12-09, 13:57
Thats what I am talking about, its not safe to do it on a 239 because of this fact.

I cannot believe there is not more exclamation around this point, like a whole lotta WTF is she thinking?!?!?! Someone needs to not just explain to her the issue, but pound it into her brain big time! :eek:

rjacobs
08-12-09, 15:58
Just got back from the gun store.

The 239 is way to big. What I am looking for is something the size of the 232, but in 9mm instead of .380.

I looked at the SW642 and its nice for a revolver, but every trigger pull is 10 lbs, which my sister said she didnt like that about the 232 she shot(first shot DA with the hammer not cocked). I dont know how she can like that about one gun and not another, especially when the one she liked had it every single time.

The two guns they had that I liked the size of and were in 9mm were the Walther PPS and a Taurus 709. Both were pretty decent feeling guns with the Walther having the edge over the Taurus I think.

JLSKIP
08-12-09, 16:42
I just shot the 239 this weekend as part of my search for a EDC pistol. I though it was too big for its round capacity, especially compared to the Kahr MK9 with an extended mag. I shot well with the 239 when in DA, but I was not a fan of the SA.

loupav
08-14-09, 09:56
I fired one years ago chambered in .357 sig. I didn't care for it much. I didn't like the way it felt in my hands and felt that it was too big of a gun for what it was meant for.

I prefer the other choices from Sig. P220, P226.

jsbcody
08-14-09, 13:04
I've tried to like the 239 but..........

1. It does not fit my large hands (I don't have gorilla hands but the grip isn't long enough for me).
2. A very big and heavy pistol for the amount of rounds it has.

I have a G19 that is my EDC and a S&W 360 PD revolver for those times when I have to go real small. I will be getting a HK P200sk next month and that might work its way into the rotation.

HAMMERDROP
08-14-09, 13:13
She loves it ... has CTC grips on it, I like the factory panels better. Me and her don't agree on much these days.
The 239 almost disappears in my hand, I haven't it shot it that much to form an opinion of the trigger I just find it uncomfortable to hold. I have owned other larger framed SIGS and their triggers were always at least very good once you figured out where the reset was. But it is her SIG !

Michael

gtmtnbiker98
08-15-09, 09:47
If she hasn't bought anything yet, I'm a little late to this thread, I would be sure to take a look at the HK P2000SK in either 9mm or .40. Size and capacity wise, it's on par with the G26/27.

rjacobs
08-15-09, 10:35
If she hasn't bought anything yet, I'm a little late to this thread, I would be sure to take a look at the HK P2000SK in either 9mm or .40. Size and capacity wise, it's on par with the G26/27.

Which is too big of a gun. She can not hold a double stack semi-auto very well as I have already stated. I am trying to find her a single stack 9mm semi-auto to keep her from getting a revolver.

rjacobs
08-24-09, 15:38
http://smiliesftw.com/x/pat.gif

After going back and forth with my sister about what gun to get, her not being able to hold a double stack auto pistol very well, revolver felt better, don't like DAO trigger pull, dont want exposed hammer, etc.... Shit she really has no friggin clue about, but wouldnt listen.

My dad got her an MP9C. She shot about 10 more guns last weekend and said she liked that one the best with the smallest backstrap on it. She still liked and wanted the revolver, but we talked her out of it for now. We are working with her on racking the slide, I told my dad to sit and rack the slide about 500 times to loosen up the recoil spring. I think she'll enjoy this gun and if not, my dad now has a new carry pistol. I cant wait to go shoot it and see what everybody on here raves about. Might have to trade my XD for one.

ToddG
08-24-09, 18:37
She still liked and wanted the revolver, but we talked her out of it for now.

Why?
(the message I have entered is too short)

rjacobs
08-24-09, 18:52
Why?
(the message I have entered is too short)

Honestly, this is her first gun.

She said she didnt like the DA trigger pull(first pull) of the Sig she shot, but for some reason the DA trigger pull all the time of the revolver was ok:confused:. She probably only shot like 25 rounds out of the revolver my dad rented for her. In the long run neither I nor my dad thought she would be happy with it and would get tired while shooting it fairly quickly.

She also said she was having trouble holding a double stack auto pistol, however she had only really shot my dad's G19 which some will argue is not the most ergonomic pistol in the world. The MP9C with the small back strap fit her hand really well.

She also didnt want an auto-pistol due to having to rack the slide and she thought that was to hard to do, however after having her police officer friend go shoot with her he showed her a few ways which made it much easier for her to rack the slide.

Overall there were to many things she doesnt know about guns and she is a novice so it seemed she wanted what ever was easiest to shoot without thinking of anything else that goes into actually shooting. After we(and her police officer friend) explained more things to her she seemed to understand why we were pointing her to an auto-pistol. Then she shot the MP9C and liked that so thats what she ended up with.