PDA

View Full Version : Grip Safety

TomMcC
08-11-09, 16:27
Anyone know where I can score a new grip safety for my Springfield Loaded model? Springfield won't do it, safety issue they say.

MarshallDodge
08-11-09, 16:30
Are you going to be replacing it yourself?

Check Brownells, they have a large selection of grip safeties. Just remember that there is no such thing as a drop-in safety. They all have to be fitted to the gun.

TomMcC
08-11-09, 16:37
Yeah, I've checked Brownells. Problem is that Springfield put a funky compound curve on theirs. It is proprietary.

I am going to do it myself, I really didn't want to take it to gunsmith to have the frame recut. I c/o the trigger, and the bow/safety interface is a little off.

ra2bach
08-12-09, 09:54
Anyone know where I can score a new grip safety for my Springfield Loaded model? Springfield won't do it, safety issue they say.
what do you mean, is there something wrong with the one you have? or don't you like it?

TomMcC
08-12-09, 10:51
The shape, fit to my hand is fine, but the trigger bow to safety interface was tuned for a different skeletonized trigger. I've fitted a solid trigger, and now the grip safety doesn't work. I would like to get a stock part, and retune it. It is only a $20-$25 part, but Springfield said no.

MarshallDodge
08-12-09, 16:56
When you say doesn't work, do you mean that it does not engage or dis-engage?

TomMcC
08-14-09, 17:14
Without being depressed the trigger can be pulled.

TiroFijo
08-14-09, 18:49
Tom, you can also build up with a little weld the part that stops the trigger, and then file it to your taste...

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-14-09, 19:20
There is true enlightenment and knowledge of the universe, and then above that level is a non-gun smith working on 1911s. I'm kind of slow, so fitting a Wilson 'drop-in' beavertail safety took me a whole weekend as I started to understand the intricasies of the relationship between trigger bow and frame interaction with the safety.

Didn't realize SA had some propietary parts...

kaltblitz
08-14-09, 19:57
S&A makes a grip safety specific to Springfield. Give them a call.

TomMcC
08-15-09, 00:13
TiroFijo

What you said is what I did, except I had to use solder, not weld. I know this is not a perm fix. But it is working in the short run.

S&A said their .220 radius grip safety is not a drop in, it does not deal with the compound radius. The fellow at S&A recommended silver soldering, then reforming to proper fit. I'll have to think about this one, since I would have to hit the part with a torch. It's one thing to solder some copper pipe, a whole different thing to hit this tiny piece of steel.

Hound_va
08-15-09, 08:10
This may give you some insight into what will fit and what will require work to fit:

http://www.harrisoncustom.com/TextDesc/Beavertail.htm

Dave Berryhill
08-15-09, 08:41
TiroFijo

What you said is what I did, except I had to use solder, not weld. I know this is not a perm fix. But it is working in the short run....

Yikes! That's worse than the grip safety not working at all because of the false sense of security. I would suggest putting the old trigger back until you replace/repair the safety or take it out of service until it is fixed properly.

Take it to a welding shop and have them lay a small bead along the bottom of the safety's arm with TIG and refit it, replace the safety or take it to someone qualified to do either one of these.