PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPK in a fire

rugbymike
08-11-09, 19:37
My firend has a Walther PPK that was in a house fire. Grips burned up and the pistol is in sore shape. The finish is pretty much gone. Is it at all possilble to test the pistol and see if it is still serviceable? And if it isn't is there any way to fix it?

ralph
08-11-09, 19:55
My firend has a Walther PPK that was in a house fire. Grips burned up and the pistol is in sore shape. The finish is pretty much gone. Is it at all possilble to test the pistol and see if it is still serviceable? And if it isn't is there any way to fix it?

My guess is no..Very good possibilty that the heat from the fire altered/ ruined the heat treated parts like, the barrel, slide, frame, hammer trigger, etc, Frankly, I'd write it off and buy another...Is there any possibilty insurance will cover this loss?? In the event your friend does write it off and replace it, I would destroy the burnt Walther so that it could not be fired again, that way, years from now, down the road someone won't "find" it and try to fire it...

rugbymike
08-11-09, 20:13
And I'm assuming there is no way to fix any of that? No way to retemper the slide, frame or things like that.

ralph
08-12-09, 03:32
While it may be possible to re heat treat some of the parts, My guess is It would be too costly...more than the pistol is worth, and I still would'nt trust it to shoot it, even if it was reasonably possible to do....Bottom line, I think the Walther is toast..

loupav
08-12-09, 16:15
I think the Walther is toast..

Literally ;)