PDA

View Full Version : M&P 40 vs 45? which one?

Pappabear
08-11-09, 22:03
At some point I would like to add another M&P to the family. It seems I read somewhere here on the forum that many people liked the ergo of the 40 over the 45? Right now I like the idea of 40 for ammo available issues. However, I tend to favor the 45 by a little. Give me the Pros and Cons IYHO.

I saw a Dark Earth 45 with Night sights the other day, I almost adopted it on the spot.

goodoleboy
08-11-09, 22:10
Personally, I'm not an M&P fan (I can't get used to those triggers, but that might be me instead of the weapon), but... the ergonomics of the .40 feels better to me.

RogerinTPA
08-11-09, 23:09
I really like all of mine but the .40 is my favorite, followed by the .45. It's very controllable, but there are many 1911 fans who just don't like the snappy recoil of the .40. The M&P is IMHO, the best .40 platform out there. It was specifically designed for that particular cartridge, and not another .40 jammed into a modded 9mm platform. I wish the ammo wasn't so expensive, but with the amount of shooting I do, I burn through more 9mm than any other caliber these days due to simple economics. If you search the handgun threads, there is ample info and debate, on the S&W M&P.40.

ToddG
08-12-09, 00:14
If you already have 9mm M&Ps, the .40-cal versions will fit in the same holsters, use the same mag pouches, and have a high percentage of spare parts commonality.

You're just going to end up with both eventually, anyway ... :cool:

Pappabear
08-12-09, 13:01
Todd, I am afraid you are probably correct. Those pistols seem to come in waves of three. And thanks for the holster advice, I'm sick of ordering Blade-techs. Not that I do not like them, just tired of paying for them.

Kilroy
08-13-09, 21:01
(I can't get used to those triggers, but that might be me instead of the weapon)

The triggers clean up nicely. The vague feeling of the factory single action trigger does allow it to mimic trigger cocking pistols. Not really much of an issue for most users. Do an internet search for more information and resources on getting those trigger pulls cleaned up.

HD1911
08-13-09, 23:09
The triggers clean up nicely. The vague feeling of the factory single action trigger does allow it to mimic trigger cocking pistols. Not really much of an issue for most users. Do an internet search for more information and resources on getting those trigger pulls cleaned up.

So these M&Ps are SAO? I was at my local gunstore the other day, fondling an M&P, and it seemed like I really liked it from the getgo...until i dry fired it with a snap cap :eek: That trigger scared me lol! Please tell me it can be altered to feel better than that.

kmrtnsn
08-14-09, 00:54
Get the .40. A lot has happened with pistol cartridge development since Grover Cleveland was President.

DocGKR
08-14-09, 02:38
One option is to get the Performance Center sear--it helps a lot with the triggers; there are also several competent pistol-smiths capable of improving the M&P triggers.

The M&P 40's are the best shooting .40 S&W pistols I found to date--it is hard to argue against 15+1 rounds of 180 gr JHP in accurate, reliable, soft shooting pistols that are easy to carry. If I ever went back on Patrol status, an M&P 40 w/ambi safety would likely be my preferred duty pistol.

If I desired a .45 ACP pistol and was not authorized to carry 1911's or didn't want to deal with the extra cost and maintenance of 1911's, then I would use M&P 45's, as they are my favorite .45 ACP handguns after 1911's. The M&P 45 is also a great choice for folks stuck in repressive States with overly restrictive regulations against the use of standard capacity magazines holding more than 10 rounds.

Kilroy
08-16-09, 11:32
So these M&Ps are SAO? That trigger scared me lol! Please tell me it can be altered to feel better than that.

The triggers are easy to improve. Taking a lesson from the XD page, a spongy trigger can often mask the SAO status of a pistol. Most folks really don't care.

It is important to those who have an established standard for handgun selection. Some are required by their Risk Management folks to abide by the standard.

S&W claims to the contrary, their own documentation reveals that their claim of DAO is only a couple years old.

Razorhunter
08-16-09, 12:30
Which Bladetech holsters do you guys prefer for your M&P's?

John_Wayne777
08-16-09, 21:03
I greatly prefer the offerings from Raven Concealment. I have an IWB for the M&P made by Blade Tech that is ok, but the RC gear is much more comfortable and concealable.

ghost762
08-16-09, 21:43
.40 but I'm bias.