PDA

View Full Version : How different is an M&P9 "Pro"?

faithmyeyes
08-14-09, 17:17
I went to the range today with the intent of evaluating a full-size M&P9, as they claimed to have one available for rent. I discovered that what they really had was an M&P9 Pro, with the longer slide and barrel and the lightened "Performance Center" trigger. Since that was the only M&P they had in 9mm, I went ahead and gave it a try.

On the way out, I handled one of the non-Pro models, but I was only able to dry-fire it. I felt that the shorter slide and barrel made the gun balance better, and the trigger pull, while not as smooth as on the Pro, seemed shorter. If anyone has experience shooting both, how would you describe the differences?

And BTW, is the M&P capable of second-strike? I just assumed that it would be since it's DAO... but the one I dry-fired didn't seem to be. I don't consider that a crucial feature, only a point of curiosity.

Below: The M&P9 Pro with my trusty Hi-Power, which may be getting replaced as a carry gun.

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx249/faithmyeyes_photos/photo.jpg

Thanks
fme

LonghunterCO
08-14-09, 17:47
Can not comment on the M&P vs M&P Pro. It is not second strike.

-I traded (replaced) my old Hipower for the regular M&P in Feb of this year.

rgrwilcox
08-14-09, 18:16
I had an M&P 9C for a while, and now I have an M&P 9 Pro. The Pro has the performance center sear, which gives the improved trigger pull. As far as I know the internals are the same except for the sear.

Titleist
08-14-09, 18:34
I had an M&P 9C for a while, and now I have an M&P 9 Pro. The Pro has the performance center sear, which gives the improved trigger pull. As far as I know the internals are the same except for the sear.

I believe this and the fiber optic front sight, and the +10 Charisma from having "Pro" on your gun.

I actually ordered one of the M&P Pros on Wednesday, which should be in my hands Monday/Tuesday (having an FFL in the neighborhood is awesome) so I'm definitely down with sipping the M&P Kool Aid finally.

faithmyeyes
08-14-09, 21:50
As for having a "shorter" trigger pull, I'm not sure what exactly you mean...less takeup?
Yeah, I think that's what I mean. When I dry fired it, the break surprised me. It felt like the trigger had not needed to travel as far to fire the gun.

Just in the holding and aiming of the guns, the non-Pro with the shorter slide seemed to point and balance more naturally for me. Having a loaded magazine in the Pro didn't really seem to improve its feel (again, from my purely subjective opinion).

It seems to be pretty difficult to match the ergonomics of the Hi-Power, but possible durability issues, how hot it gets during intense drills, and the fact that some of the parts need pro-gunsmith "fitting" to replace has me considering other options.

I think I could really like the full-size M&P if it turned out that I could carry it as well as the Hi-Power... the M&P is a little more bulky. If the full-size worked for me, though, I'd love to get on the list for one of Todd and Grant's guns.

Saur
08-14-09, 23:11
I can tell you the M&P certainly gets hot during intense firing drills.