PDA

View Full Version : Howto stop m&p front sight "walking"?

mattj
08-16-09, 16:46
Hi guys,

Hoping some of you guys might have an idea on this. Bought M&P 9c non-locally, and had Warren sights installed by the dealer (before being shipped to my FFL). This is a good, trusted dealer, not some random gunbroker place.

There were some "issues" with the front sight installation, and the slide got marked a little bit. No biggie -- not obvious at all, they were up front about it, and I got the sight installation for "free", plus a nice discount on the gun due to the "damage" to the slide (I had option of a refund, etc, but chose to take the discounted gun).

I took it to the range today, and am pleased as hell with the gun -- 200+ rounds, no malfunctions, and shoots like a dream.

HOWEVER, towards the end of the session, I noticed I was shooting to the right, which wasn't the case when I started. It was about 2.5" right of POI at just 5 yards. So I took my time to shoot some careful groups, and even switched to weak side -- same POI.

About this time, I noticed the source of the problem: the front sight was VISIBLY off center, as in, the left side of the sight blade is almost aligned to the top-left corner of the slide. It definitely was not like that when I started, and I'm 100% positive that I didn't hit the gun/sight on anything-- this definitely happened during shooting.

I'm sure the dealer would take care of me if I bought this to them -- but shipping a handgun is such a PITA, I'd rather have it taken care of locally.

I have the means to get the front sight re-centered, that shouldn't be a huge deal -- but how to I make sure it stays put? Is there a sane way to apply red loctite or something without making a huge mess, and without having to completely remove and re-install the front sight?

Appreciate any ideas from those of you experienced in such things.

Thanks,

Matt

RogerinTPA
08-16-09, 16:59
A new front sight.

Sounds like he shaved too much material off the bottom (rushed the job or inexperienced with installation).

mattj
08-16-09, 18:07
Doh... that's not what I was hoping to hear.

Just so I understand, how does the amount of material removed on the bottom of the sight effect how "tightly" the sight fits in the groove to keep it from moving? I would think the front-back width of the sight (in relation to the width of the sight groove on the sight) would determine that -- what am I missing?

Thanks.

-M

Telecomtodd
08-16-09, 19:18
What state are you in?

An Undocumented Worker
08-16-09, 19:27
You can also take an automatic center punch to the bottom of the base of the sight to stiple the area, and raise some metal to give you some interference.

So you know, on the dovetails the base of the sight forces the angled section of the sight into the angled cutout of the slide. The more material on the bottom the tighter the fit, if you have enough material it won't fit at all.

Stippling the base pushes metal up and out so as to effectivly build up the base.

mattj
08-16-09, 19:33
What state are you in?

I'm in Washington state (near Seattle).

mattj
08-16-09, 19:37
You can also take an automatic center punch to the bottom of the base of the sight to stiple the area, and raise some metal to give you some interference.

So you know, on the dovetails the base of the sight forces the angled section of the sight into the angled cutout of the slide. The more material on the bottom the tighter the fit, if you have enough material it won't fit at all.

Stippling the base pushes metal up and out so as to effectivly build up the base.

Ah, didn't know they were tapered. Makes sense, thanks for the explanation.

four
08-18-09, 09:20
I've seen pictures of work by a certain gunsmith that peens the *slide* with a center punch to keep his sights from moving. but honestly that makes my skin crawl.

if it's not terribly loose you could peen the sight base on the top while still installed, instead of the bottom. course the bottom will come out prettier but you have to reinstall.

dirksterg30
08-18-09, 09:54
I'm sure the dealer would take care of me if I bought this to them -- but shipping a handgun is such a PITA, I'd rather have it taken care of locally.

While shipping the handgun is a hassle, if you only send the slide, you can send it by regular mail (insured, of course).

HeadHunter
08-18-09, 21:57
Loctite Red 271 (http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/detail.asp?catid=10&subid=48&plid=154) That stuff is unbelievably strong; in some cases, so much so that it's a nuisance. When I choose to take sights off the School guns, sometimes the sights break before the adhesive, which is annoying.

mattj
08-19-09, 00:37
While shipping the handgun is a hassle, if you only send the slide, you can send it by regular mail (insured, of course).

I've contacted the dealer, and will, in fact, be sending the slide to him. I trust it will be taken care of.

Thanks guys.

Gentle Ben
08-19-09, 17:34
M&P sights are a bitch to install. I did one with a brass punch, and it was a PITA, so I got the M&P sight tool, and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

I haven't had to remove material from the M&P sights to get them to fit, just cranked them in with the sight tool. It takes some serious elbow grease and a little finesse, but I would be surprised if they moved, as tight as they are in there.