PDA

View Full Version : Things to look for on a Beretta 92

mattpittinger
08-18-09, 09:17
I am about to purchase a Beretta 92 that is a police trade in. I know police trade ins generally have a low round count, but I still want to lean to the side of caution. It is my understanding that high round count 92s tend to have issues. What parts do I need to keep an eye on? What parts should I just replace from the start?

ThirdWatcher
08-18-09, 16:11
For me to consider buying a police trade-in Beretta 92, it would have to look pretty new. Not all trade-ins have low round counts. I carried a department-issued 92 for close to ten years and it wasn't worth (to me) what they wanted for it when we traded them in.

The areas I've seen problems crop up are trigger springs and locking blocks. There have been cases of slides cracking in the area of the locking block. Wolff Gunsprings makes an INS Gunspring of a different design that doesn't fail. There are several generations of improved locking blocks now and replacing one is an easy fix.

New Beretta 92s go for under $600, so an used one would have to be in pristine condition and have a great price before I would consider buying it.

Just my $0.02:)

mattpittinger
08-18-09, 16:48
I just got a shot to buy one for $449.85, brand NIB with three 15 rounders. I think I am gonna jump on that. Thanks for the input.

ToddG
08-18-09, 19:23
Do the forward edges of the locking block mate properly with the corresponding cutouts in the slide (no light showing)?

Any visible cracks in the dustcover area or in the thin aluminum support enclosed by the right grip panel?

All the normal stuff -- signs of unusual or excessive rail wear, kitchen table gunsmithing, etc.

If you purchase it, my advice is to replace the recoil spring and trigger spring immediately regardless of perceived condition. I'd also consider replacing the locking block unless you're confident the gun has less than 5,000 rounds through it.

JonInWA
08-18-09, 21:48
I'd also as a matter of course immediately replace all of the magazine springs (and concurrently clean the inside of the magazine tube, which has probably rarely, if ever been done).

Best, Jon

mattpittinger
08-19-09, 09:10
Since I have decided to go with a new one. What would you suggest as preventative maintenance, outside of the usual stuff.

Wayne Dobbs
08-19-09, 10:41
Matt,

After you acquire the pistol and do any parts replacement as suggested above (and those are all good suggestions), set up a log in either hard copy form or in a spreadsheet. Keep track of all rounds fired and all stoppages and malfucntions. Also keep track of all in-depth maintenance and repairs. This is the only way to really know what's happening with the gun.

As for PM, I would replace the recoil spring at least every 5K rounds and magazine springs at about twice that interval. Trigger return springs have been an issue in the past, but I don't have a clue about realistic service life on those. PM me your email address and I'll send you a good LAV article on his take on this platform.

I've had quite a bit of experience with the gun in both LE and OCONUS settings and I've found that Vickers article to be on the money in what it says.

Wayne

JonInWA
08-19-09, 14:00
Although a careful reading of the Beretta's manual will actually discuss them, (without sufficient illustration) Ayoob's book "The Gun Digest Book of the Beretta" actually does an excellent job of specifing with detailed photos all the lubrication points on the 92.

Best, Jon

ThirdWatcher
08-19-09, 14:29
$450 for a new Beretta 92 with three mags is a good deal. With the proper maintenance, it should last several years (if ever) before any of these issues crop up.

ShipWreck
08-19-09, 17:41
Make sure to check the Beretta Forum.

But, do replace the recoil and trigger spring at 5k intervals.

bobafett
08-19-09, 17:50
Don't forget old Police 92s that had the mags abused/dropped should be checked for cracks at the rear of the feed lips. I've had to chuck a half dozen or so because of cracked lips.