PDA

View Full Version : 10-8 sights: brass bead vs. tritium

dookie1481
08-21-09, 00:50
Which one do you prefer? I know the tritium is better for no-light conditions. Is the brass bead good in LOW light copnditions?

Jay

Gentle Ben
08-21-09, 08:10
Yes, the brass bead is good in low light conditions. If there's any ambient light in the room, you can catch glimmers of it in the front sight. And if you're using a handheld light, and you get any light halo on the sights, the front bead shines brightly.

During the daylight, when night sights turn into irons, the brass bead is still very prominent. I run the 10-8 brass bead on my carry gun, and I really like it. when the bead gets tarnished, it's easy to polish back to full brightness.

Business_Casual
08-21-09, 08:27
I think it is important that you "see" how your eyes see the sights in the conditions you want to employ them. Only you can determine how well your eyes work with the sights.

Also, I have shot in low light and darkness and I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting without first identifying the target with white light. If that means I have to adapt my tactics, so be it. As such, I am starting to see less and less benefit to night sights.

M_P

RAM Engineer
08-21-09, 09:11
I've got a GOLD bead front with a 10-8 rear on my M&P (not brass). I concur that in any lighting EXCEPT total darkness the gold bead beats tritium. In moderate and bright light, the gold beats all other sights (especially when combined with the U-notch of the 10-8).

I've purchased a brass bead/10-8 set for one of my Glocks but have not installed them yet. The pros for the brass (vs Gold) are: more availability, lower cost, probably more rugged (since gold is softer than brass)

The cons for the brass are: more maintenance.

Novak will custom make gold beads to any specification (for a price). My 10-8 Gold bead front was custom made by Burwell gunsmithing
http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/

LSK
08-21-09, 09:23
I have used both tritium and gold beads. I prefer the gold bead. It lasts forever and is very effective in all but total darkness. You will have to find out what works best for you. I have used gold beads that are .125" and they overpower the post. They appear as gold dots to my eyes. I have found the smaller beads work best for me.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-21-09, 10:00
WOW! I totally agree with you guys. I actually drilled an installed a gold bead in my Colt Officer's model a while back and I agree, it is superior to the tritium in every lighting condition except for a about 10 minutes before dead dark. It really draws the eye and has sped up my steel shooting considerably.

decodeddiesel
08-21-09, 10:33
I really like the brass or gold bead as well, however I had Tool Tech add a single yellow dot to my rear 10-8 sight, and then replace the Springfield tritium tube with a white outlined tube and I am really impressed with the results. I guess for me I like white outlined tritium best.

RAM Engineer
08-21-09, 15:37
http://books.google.com/books?id=mQ2ObSfrWSoC&pg=PA81&lpg=PA81&dq=gold+bead+front+sight+revolver&source=bl&ots=1984Fe5m_8&sig=-Tl_7ooKe5zOclJ9h6VRMBboePs&hl=en&ei=kQKPSrPsDoKBtwfLqsXOBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9#v=onepage&q=gold%20bead%20front%20sight%20revolver&f=false

It only took us 60 or 70 years to figure out that Ed McGivern knew a thing or two about pistol shooting. :D

ToddG
08-21-09, 22:33
I have fairly limited experience with the metal bead front sights. However, I got to play with one in realistic (as opposed to "range") lighting conditions and did not find them as suitable as tritium sights. There were lighting conditions in which I could have identified and engaged a threat but the front sight was not adequately visible.

Dozer
08-22-09, 11:22
I really like the brass or gold bead as well, however I had Tool Tech add a single yellow dot to my rear 10-8 sight, and then replace the Springfield tritium tube with a white outlined tube and I am really impressed with the results. I guess for me I like white outlined tritium best.

I had the same idea when I had mine done. I really like the way the white outline "pops" on the front sight.

87GN
08-22-09, 16:10
Tritium front with white ring for me.

Though my 1911 front recently took a hit and the front tritium doesn't work any more. Need to get a new one.

ra2bach
08-22-09, 17:49
edit:

8200rpm
08-26-09, 23:12
Brass is bright as long as you have a bit of light from behind you... even incandescent light from a lamp. In LOW light (inside my hallway with only ambient light during DUSK), tritium with white circle (Warren) is noticeably brighter.

I have a set of 10-8 brass with 10-8 plain rear on my G19, and a set of Warren tritium front with Warren plain rear for my G35. The 10-8 brass front on the G19 will be replaced with another Warren tritium front. Other than the lack of half life, I see no advantage of the brass bead over the Warren tritium w/ white circle.

The nice thing about Warren tritium front sight IS the distinct white outline. Not all tritium sights have this feature. In that case, the brass/gold bead may be better in brighter conditions.

htxred
08-26-09, 23:17
i have 10-8 tritium on my g34 and notice i pick up the front sight a lot quicker (cross dominate).