PDA

View Full Version : XDM trigger reset

nwcatman
08-22-09, 12:31
hope this topic hasn't been beat to death somewhere else. i am vacillating between buying a used sig or a new xdm in 40 cal. have heard that the glock-like trigger on the xdm has issues on the "reset". have never fired one so those that have, is it an issue? thanks

Robb Jensen
08-22-09, 12:36
I have no idea I've shot two XDMs and both shot fine.

The finest triggers I've ever shot on standard XDs were trigger jobs that were performed by Springer Precision. I'd give them a call and see if there's any truth to what you said.

kmrtnsn
08-22-09, 12:51
Buy the used SIG.

kmrtnsn
08-22-09, 12:56
Buy the used SIG because:

SIG has excellent customer service, if you need a repair, or want to chage to DAO, want it refinished, need a repair, or whatever SIG can do it. Springfield Armory does NONE of these things.

There are a million holsters out there for SIG.

SIG is professional grade, even a used SIG will prove much more reliable after additional years of service than the Croatian import..

It is a "classic" SIG, the 1911 of the nineties.

calvin118
08-22-09, 15:01
I have owned both the xd40 5" and p226 in .40, and find the p226 to be superior in just about every way. I still have the Sig, but the XD is long gone.

To me, the Sig is superior because of:
-Less perceived recoil/snap
-Less muzzle flip
-Sights fall more easily and consistently back onto target
-Better balanced
-More inherent accuracy
-More discrete trigger break
-Shorter reset (SRT)
-The XD trigger safety bothered my finger
-I could not find a way to hold the XD with a modern thumbs-forward grip because the grip was so small.
-XD parts are hard to find
-XD's have a questionable reputation for reliability and durability among senior members here who see a lot of different guns and have access to LE agency test results.

I have not shot the XDM but have held and dry fired it, and frankly don't think it's too much different from the XD besides interchangeable grip panels and aesthetics. The trigger still stinks.

I recently tried the m&p .40 and was very impressed. It had less recoil and perceived muzzle flip than the Sig, and the trigger was not bad. I liked the Sig's trigger better and found its movement in recoil to be more predictable, though. For the money, you can't beat a new m&p if you want .40. If you can find a good, lightly used Sig that's a great option too. Just make sure the rails are in decent shape. Conventional wisdom says to avoid new Sigs at this time.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

nwcatman
08-22-09, 16:32
Croatian import......????

thanks for the infor. guys. had no idea there was so much diff.

ralph
08-22-09, 20:57
Croatian import......????

thanks for the infor. guys. had no idea there was so much diff.

Yes, Croatian import...SA dosen't actually "make" anything for the XD,XDM..They simply import parts, and assembled pistols from the manfacuturer in Croatia...If you're looking for a .40, take a good look at a M&P, or a older (pre 2004) Sig...

nwcatman
08-22-09, 22:40
how would i know its a pre 2004, and WHY pre 2004?

nwcatman
08-22-09, 23:20
ALSO.......calvin says S&W M&P is good. opinions on that one?

ralph
08-23-09, 09:15
2004 is considered the cut off point before Sig's Q.C. started to slip..It was in 2004 that the former CEO of Kimber took over at Sig after leaving Kimber, and used the same manfacturing model as he used at Kimber, Which resulted in their Q.C. problems..Things like buying parts from all over (think asia) Poor customer service, (Sig used to have good CS).Etc, I looked at the Sig website, they'll look up the serial# of a Sig, for $12 or so....I have a P-220 that was I figure was made before the cut-off, I bought it in 2004, but it had sat on the dealer's shelf for at least a year prior, it was the last one he had...It's been a excellant pistol, I don't have any experience with the .40 cal M&P (I have a midsized.45M&P) But, I do know that S&W designed the .40 cal M&P from the ground up AS a.40, not trying to build a .40 on a 9mm frame like so many others have.The result of this is a pistol that can handle the slide velocitys, pressures, of the .40 without premature wear on anything, S&W, Sig, and HK are about the only manfacturer's that went this route, just about everyone else tried to build on 9mm frames and it generally didn't work well....

Palmguy
08-23-09, 09:28
SIG has excellent customer service, if you need a repair, or want to chage to DAO, want it refinished, need a repair, or whatever SIG can do it. Springfield Armory does NONE of these things.

This isn't necessarily an endorsement of buying an XDM over a Sig, but unless they've done a 180 recently, Springfield has very good customer service.

nwcatman
08-23-09, 09:54
you guys have probably saved me from making a very costly mistake. damn shame about sigs QC. my sons both have older sigs and love em. i have reloaded for them so much that i thought i'd give my old 1911 70 series cmmdr. a rest. looks like the s&w M&P is the only logical choice.

nwcatman
08-23-09, 09:59
also- found out a coworker sells used sigs for $400-$500, but doesn't know what he will be getting till they come in. says its a police dept trade in he thinks and that so far most are in great shape. i'm leery though.

RogerinTPA
08-23-09, 10:13

Out of the 4 M&Ps I own, the .40 full size, is my favorite to shoot. Recoil is very controllable, it's accurate and fits very comfortable in my hand. I actually don't mind the trigger. After a few thousand rounds, I've gotten quite used to it, and it has smoothed out nicely, but a good custom trigger job will make the weapon even better.

nwcatman
08-23-09, 10:46
Out of the 4 M&Ps I own, the .40 full size, is my favorite to shoot. Recoil is very controllable, it's accurate and fits very comfortable in my hand. I actually don't mind the trigger. After a few thousand rounds, I've gotten quite used to it, and it has smoothed out nicely, but a good custom trigger job will make the weapon even better.

a few thousand rds? guess i better get a case feeder for my L N L. how is it for function and reliability?

John_Wayne777
08-23-09, 11:01

There are a number of M&P fans here. I'm one of them. I've put thousands of rounds through my M&P's and I'm pretty happy with them. At the moment I own three and I have two more on order. They are easy to shoot well, easy to customize for the best possible fit for the shooter, relatively inexpensive to support, and relatively easy to do user level maintenance on.

The M&P is my go-to platform.

RogerinTPA
08-23-09, 11:42
a few thousand rds? guess i better get a case feeder for my L N L. how is it for function and reliability?

Excellent. I'd trust my life to the M&P series. After an average of 3 to 4K rounds on each, there were no malfunctions on any of them, except for a early production model Full Size .45. I broke a couple of striker assemblies dry firing without snap caps. My bad, but S&W was aware of the problem and redesigned it to be more durable so the current production is GTG. S&W Customer Service was outstanding & courteous, paying for shipping both ways.

PT Doc
08-23-09, 19:20
IThe finest triggers I've ever shot on standard XDs were trigger jobs that were performed by Springer Precision. I'd give them a call and see if there's any truth to what you said.

Springer did trigger jobs on both of my XDs (4" .45 & 3" 9mm) as well as a CZ 75 and the difference is night and day between stock. Scott is good people and goes above and beyond to take care of you.

tpd223
08-23-09, 21:45
I'm not sure why so many people get hung up on reset as a quality that they look for in a pistol. I have seen people dismiss the M&Ps outright as they don't like the reset.
Crazy.

ToddG
08-24-09, 18:25
I definitely think reset is an important characteristic for anyone who wants to push their limits and learn to shoot faster.

But "reset" is not a single measurable thing. There are a number of factors that differ from one gun's reset to another, including:

reset distance (how far forward the trigger has to go before you can break the next shot)
reset strength (how hard does the trigger try to press forward to reset)
reset "click" (how positive/noticeable is the reset point)
reset consistency (do the three previous factors remain the same from shot to shot or vary)

Pappabear
08-25-09, 01:31
I am going to plus one the trigger job on XD's. I have a 5 inch / Tactical with a SA trigger job. It is amazing. I have friends that shoot and love Glocks and felt that trigger and said this is impossible with a Glock. Who knows? If you own an XD, and its not a HD gun, get a trigger job.

Mine is a perfect 3lb, crisp, great reset...but more importantly, I shoot it as good as I do my 1911's. Its similarity to 1911 in grip angle is the main reason I bought it. I do not know what makes the XD's so "Trigger Job" friendly, but they are.

Robb Jensen
08-25-09, 06:21
I definitely think reset is an important characteristic for anyone who wants to push their limits and learn to shoot faster.

But "reset" is not a single measurable thing. There are a number of factors that differ from one gun's reset to another, including:

reset distance (how far forward the trigger has to go before you can break the next shot)
reset strength (how hard does the trigger try to press forward to reset)
reset "click" (how positive/noticeable is the reset point)
reset consistency (do the three previous factors remain the same from shot to shot or vary)

Exactly, this is one of the reason why the SIG P250 sucks.
Long, slow/lazy non-positive reset. The only conisistent thing about the reset length is that it's ALL the way out just like a Kahr or DA S&W revolver.