PDA

View Full Version : Glock 21 and FNP-45

Slater
08-24-09, 07:47
Normally I try to avoid the "Brand A" vs "Brand B" debates, but maybe someone with experience with both guns can chime in.

My brother-in-law is in the market for a new .45 and, of all the options out there, the choice has come down to either the Glock 21 (standard fat-grip model) or the FNP-45. He asked me what I thought, and I don't have any experience with the models in question. (This would be primarily a range blaster/HD weapon).

Going just on feedback from some folks here, the G-21 appears to be a generally accurate and reliable gun that's had some past issues - which would appear to have been addressed by now?

I don't know if the FNP has been out long enough to generate any kind of a track record. I've heard of a few feeding issues, but that may be just anecdotal.

Locally anyway, the Glock is the least expensive option.

So, would it be accurate to say that these two pistols are approximately equal in the categories of accuracy and reliability?

NCPatrolAR
08-24-09, 08:26
I prefer the 21. For me, the trigger on the 21 is smoother, less heavy, and easier to reach.

forgiven
08-24-09, 11:01
Can I pick neither?

I've owned both. The G21 has a grip the size of a brick....

The FNP has slide serrations that will eat away your skin.....plus the ambi decocking lever recoiled horribly into my hands.

If I had to pick one of those, it would be the G21.

If I could suggest something else it would be: a HK USP .45, HK45, or an older Sig 220.

kmrtnsn
08-24-09, 11:56
P45 or USP 45, then Glock 21, SIG P220, and FN; in that order. I wish FN offered something other than DA/SA with a de-cocker.

JonInWA
08-24-09, 13:44
Glock 21; previous issues have been addressed for years (primarily involving a revised breechface cut, ejector angle, and a new triggerbar); if the standard size receiver is too large, there's the Short Frame varient.

I have medium-sized hands, and index quite well with the standard size frame. I've had my G21 since 2006-it's a current Generation 3 gun, and has performed flawlessly for carry, IDPA, and steel plate competition.

I have nothing against the other guns recommended, other than to say that the Glock has been fielded successfully for years, and they're exceptionally well supported by the factory and aftermarket suppliers. I consider the HK USP .45 to have an equal-sized, if not larger receiver (the HK45 is an improvement over both, but about twice as expensive as the G21).

Best, Jon

ThirdWatcher
08-24-09, 14:16
Glock magazines are half the price of FNP magazines ($19.99 vs. 39.99 at CDNN).

JohnN
08-24-09, 19:34
Neither, before you decide at least look at a S&W M&P45 offered in three sizes.

Patrolman175
08-24-09, 21:36
Try the Glock 21SF with the Glock rail, I have two, both have been 100%, one has an Insight M3X light installed, 4525 rounds before I stopped keeping track, 100%, this is my current Duty weapon of choice.

millerlite
08-24-09, 22:30
g21 my .02