PDA

View Full Version : Who is using a Raven Phantom to conceal Full Size M&P

Rickenbacker53
08-27-09, 17:58
I see several Ravens Phantoms used for sale. I am wondering if guys are not happy with using them to conceal a larger gun like the fullSize M&P. I am currently using a Safari ALS 6377 -78 (belt & Paddle combo ) .

I love it for a range holster and have been considering buying a 6004 tactical shroud and attaching holster for class.

But 6378 doesn't cover up the best for concealed carry.

Are the ravens really the way to go. Thanks guys.

Alpha Sierra
08-27-09, 18:35
When it comes to belt holsters, plastic will never conform to the shape of your body like leather does and thus plastic belt holsters will never conceal as well as leather belt holsters.

Plastic holsters have their advantages. Molding to you is not one of them.

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/12a.jpg

BobM
08-27-09, 18:52
I've been carrying my M&P40/TLR off-duty in a Phantom for a couple of years now, mostly IWB, although sometimes in winter I'll put the OWB loops back on. It conceals well on me, and holds the pistol securely.

NCPatrolAR
08-27-09, 20:40
I use a Raven holster for on and offduty use for a MP40 w/ light. It works well; you just have to be careful to not crack the mounting hardware. If I'm not using the Raven, I'm using a Comp-Tac CTAC.

zephyr
08-27-09, 21:18
Raven makes a fantastic holster. I have one for my G19 and 228 and wear them all the time. They are super thin yet very sturdy. In the unlikely scenario that you have a problem, they have a great warranty. I like leather too and have a bunch of Milt Sparks holsters but when I want the absolute thinnest, lightest holster around, I wear a Raven.

Rickenbacker53
08-27-09, 21:53
Raven makes a fantastic holster. I have one for my G19 and 228 and wear them all the time. They are super thin yet very sturdy. In the unlikely scenario that you have a problem, they have a great warranty. I like leather too and have a bunch of Milt Sparks holsters but when I want the absolute thinnest, lightest holster around, I wear a Raven.

I am looking for something that covers most of the slide without going to a thumb-break. I like leather also, but realize it's heavy by comparison to kydex. It also appears these Ravens ride rather high.
Not t
Does anyone have a picture of a w/o light Phantom being worn.

diverge
08-27-09, 23:16
I am looking for something that covers most of the slide without going to a thumb-break. I like leather also, but realize it's heavy by comparison to kydex. It also appears these Ravens ride rather high.
Not t
Does anyone have a picture of a w/o light Phantom being worn.

The Raven has a lot of mounting options (http://www.themalabarfront.com/index.php?cPath=82_89_100). Swing over to their site and take a look if you haven't already. The IWB soft loops will make the gun ride higher than the IWB over-hooks.

I have a Raven for my M&P9 and Glock 22. My Raven IWB fullsize M&P9 conceals much better for me than my Glock 22. Changing the M&P fullsize mag baseplate to the compact baseplate helped with concealment. The heat and humidity is bad here in Houston so I wear a lot of T-shirts with an undershirt.

The Raven is curved and the Kydex is very thin. For wearing the holster IWB that is a plus. The holster gets support from the belt so it doesn't need to be that thick. The IWB over-hooks are another story. Had one break when I was taking off the holster. I had already ordered some leather loops from Comptac so that wasn't a problem.

Have a Raven holster on order and it is estimated at four weeks.

Rickenbacker53
08-27-09, 23:43
The Raven has a lot of mounting options (http://www.themalabarfront.com/index.php?cPath=82_89_100). Swing over to their site and take a look if you haven't already. The IWB soft loops will make the gun ride higher than the IWB over-hooks.

I have a Raven for my M&P9 and Glock 22. My Raven IWB fullsize M&P9 conceals much better for me than my Glock 22. Changing the M&P fullsize mag baseplate to the compact baseplate helped with concealment. The heat and humidity is bad here in Houston so I wear a lot of T-shirts with an undershirt.

The Raven is curved and the Kydex is very thin. For wearing the holster IWB that is a plus. The holster gets support from the belt so it doesn't need to be that thick. The IWB over-hooks are another story. Had one break when I was taking off the holster. I had already ordered some leather loops from Comptac so that wasn't a problem.

Have a Raven holster on order and it is estimated at four weeks. Apparently off the subject a bit. I am interested in OWB only. I am wondering if the pancake wings hold the holster tighter yet. There seems to be quite a few people loving this for it's IWB capability. At this time and most likely never. Will I have an IWB holster in my collection. Should I be considering another holster than Ravens for OWB?

diverge
08-27-09, 23:59
Sorry to confuse you. I read "Raven" and "conceal" in your first thread and my mind went straight to IWB.

Alpha Sierra
08-28-09, 05:54
I am wondering if the pancake wings hold the holster tighter yet.
I wondered the same thing too. You know, just buy them both. If you, like me, end up not liking it you will find no shortage of buyers here.

vaglocker
08-28-09, 07:51
Apparently off the subject a bit. I am interested in OWB only. I am wondering if the pancake wings hold the holster tighter yet. There seems to be quite a few people loving this for it's IWB capability. At this time and most likely never. Will I have an IWB holster in my collection. Should I be considering another holster than Ravens for OWB?

I think the raven does both OWB and IWB equally well which is indeed rare for a holster.

Rickenbacker53
08-28-09, 08:48
while I think the O'Rourke Holster shown above is nice looking it appears to set just slightly lower than what a Phantom would set. The Footprint of a pancake leather holster compared to the Phantom is close to the same. From what I can tell and have read the Phantom sits higher. Which is more what I am look for.

I just can't help but wonder why a thread about leather holsters gets so many posts, while a thread about Ravens, or Comp Tac, even Bladetech is limited to a hand ful of users. I'd be curious to know how many people that actually praise the Phantom actually own one.

Don't get me wrong. I am very interested in one. It's just, $70 is not cheap if it doesn't work out. Actually it's closer to $85.00 ( by the time you add the pancake wings). Which for true concealment seems essential.

John_Wayne777
08-28-09, 09:34
I see several Ravens Phantoms used for sale. I am wondering if guys are not happy with using them to conceal a larger gun like the fullSize M&P. I am currently using a Safari ALS 6377 -78 (belt & Paddle combo ) .

I love it for a range holster and have been considering buying a 6004 tactical shroud and attaching holster for class.

But 6378 doesn't cover up the best for concealed carry.

Are the ravens really the way to go. Thanks guys.

I'm pleased as punch with my Raven Phantom. It's the most comfortable IWB holster I've ever used. When a family member was in the hospital I was wearing the holster for literally 20 hours at a time, sitting down, getting up, moving stuff...and it was perfectly comfortable the whole time. Most of the time I could barely feel that I had it on.

When configured for OWB, it's also very comfortable. Part of the comfort factor comes from the sort of "pancake" like design of the gear:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP1004.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0993.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0997.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0996.jpg

The slight curves you see helps the holster conform to the body better than a lot of other holsters I've tried, leather or kydex.

I've been using RCS carry gear since Ken Hackathorn first introduced them to us, and I'm pleased with the performance I've gotten from their gear.

Everyone who has tried my carry gear on has instantly placed an order.

Business_Casual
08-28-09, 09:43
They need to up-armor the belt loops. I have a Ghost right next to me that had the loops, eh, give up the ghost, very quickly.

M_P

John_Wayne777
08-28-09, 09:46
while I think the O'Rourke Holster shown above is nice looking it appears to set just slightly lower than what a Phantom would set. The Footprint of a pancake leather holster compared to the Phantom is close to the same. From what I can tell and have read the Phantom sits higher. Which is more what I am look for.

You can adjust the ride height of the Phantom based on where you want it to ride.

I just can't help but wonder why a thread about leather holsters gets so many posts, while a thread about Ravens, or Comp Tac, even Bladetech is limited to a hand ful of users. I'd be curious to know how many people that actually praise the Phantom actually own one.

I own four. :p Used to be 5, but a friend who needed an upgrade on his handgun tried my RCS Phantom for the Glock pistols and thought it was the greatest thing he's ever seen commandeered it. He's in the process of ordering a mag/G2 combo pouch from them now.

I know that several of the Vickers/Hackathorn low light alumni have ordered RCS gear and have been pretty happy with it AFAIK.

Don't get me wrong. I am very interested in one. It's just, $70 is not cheap if it doesn't work out. Actually it's closer to $85.00 ( by the time you add the pancake wings). Which for true concealment seems essential.

One of the things you'll have to get used to is that you're going to spend money on carry gear that doesn't work out well. Everybody who carries concealed has a box of old holsters that they bought trying to find the right setup. It will happen. Holsters are intensely personal and what works awesome for person x may suck hosewater for person y because of differences in body type, carry gun, or mode of dress.

I've personally found that RCS gear works great for my needs. I know a number of other people have come to the same conclusion. In my mind, that makes them at least worth a shot.

John_Wayne777
08-28-09, 09:49
They need to up-armor the belt loops. I have a Ghost right next to me that had the loops, eh, give up the ghost, very quickly.

M_P

The standard belt loops going TU on the holsters has been one of the biggest complaints I've seen with the phantom. Personally I carry IWB most of the time using rubber loops on the holster so it's never been a problem for me. The mag/flashlight pouch loops have never given me any problems.

98z28
08-28-09, 14:04
I carry a Raven Phantom IWB with soft loops holding a M&P40 and Insight Procyon almost daily. Raven gear is second to none.

That said, I shy away from kydex for OWB carry. Plastic breaks. It may break in a struggle, or it may break just from everyday wear and tear. I have carried my Raven OWB several times and it is a great OWB holster. It is comfortable, holds tight to your body, and is quite stable. I just don't trust plastic to stay attached to my belt when things get rough. I have seen too many plastic holsters ripped off of belts in hands-on training. The leather rigs the plain clothes guys were carrying never separated.

IMHO, leather is the way to go for OWB carry. I have not carried OWB off duty for several years, but when I did, High Noon Holsters (http://www.highnoonholsters.com/) were quite good.

Rickenbacker53
08-29-09, 08:58
Thanks for the input. Does anyone make a leather Pancake with 1.75 belt loops. I really like the looks of the O'Rouke above but appears to be 1 1/4 at best.

skyugo
08-30-09, 11:10
i use one for a glock 19. i usually wear it OWB. it holds the gun closer to your body than you'd ever think an OWB holster could. i find it seems to sit best on me at 2 o clock or 4 oclock. the 3 o clock position doesn't really feel right.
also works great in those same positions IWB.

Alpha Sierra
08-30-09, 13:12
Thanks for the input. Does anyone make a leather Pancake with 1.75 belt loops. I really like the looks of the O'Rouke above but appears to be 1 1/4 at best.

The loops on my O'Rourke are set for 1 1/2" belts. John can make them for any of the three common belt widths.

Turnkey11
08-30-09, 17:53
I carry a Glock 19 in Raven Ghost, only phantom I have is for a P226 w/X300 attached that I dont use much besides the range and classes. I prefer the Ghost over the Phantom, its enough to carry the pistol and nothing more.

M4arc
08-30-09, 19:32
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP1004.jpg

JW777 - What's the scoop on the double mag/light pouch? Is that something you fashioned together cuz I've never seen that on their website but I sure do want one!

Steve
08-30-09, 19:46
they conceal very well and conform quite nice actually

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/postimages/68149-raven_vs_comp-tac_owb.jpg

they fit very well and hide quite easy
I carry a fullsize mp/and or my 9l both with x300 all the time..

the light rig is part of the modularity system i have some like that and one that has a single m4 and light as well and a few others tricks they have made up for us

John_Wayne777
08-31-09, 06:44
JW777 - What's the scoop on the double mag/light pouch? Is that something you fashioned together cuz I've never seen that on their website but I sure do want one!

I just connected one of the light pouches with the double mag pouch. It's convenient to have all of it on one piece...but at the Dave Pennington concealed carry class I ended up trying to reload my flashlight from concealment.

I need to break it back up into two pieces to stop that from happening.

Steve
08-31-09, 07:41
hate when that a happens.(ok havent had that yet i have seen it.)
Ilike my lights more up front to be honest.

as for loops there were some issue there is also a few new changes comning to help that

Rickenbacker53
09-08-09, 15:07
hate when that a happens.(ok havent had that yet i have seen it.)
Ilike my lights more up front to be honest.

as for loops there were some issue there is also a few new changes comning to help that Steve when you say coming do you mean next year or if I order one I will get the adjusted gear. While I realize a company is in business to make money, bodies are all different shapes and sizes. diverge from the forum was generous enough to send me his Raven Phantom to try. While it's a great holster I could tell right away I'd have to spend the extra money on the pancake wings to make it comfortable. So right off the bat if I want a Raven holster it's going to cost extra money. Seems like the company would allow you to substitute the different belt loops. Apparently not .

Steve
09-08-09, 20:47
The possible design changes are that possibles and may not come to light for year or so whom knows

but i can say this no matter what they will make anything right and are great at CS>

JohnN
09-09-09, 16:11
Steve when you say coming do you mean next year or if I order one I will get the adjusted gear. While I realize a company is in business to make money, bodies are all different shapes and sizes. diverge from the forum was generous enough to send me his Raven Phantom to try. While it's a great holster I could tell right away I'd have to spend the extra money on the pancake wings to make it comfortable. So right off the bat if I want a Raven holster it's going to cost extra money. Seems like the company would allow you to substitute the different belt loops. Apparently not .

Have you asked them if they will substitute attachment parts? I have always found Jay and Michael very easy to get along with. Ask, you might be surprised.