PDA

View Full Version : Galco Royal Guard Holster?

Pappabear
08-27-09, 18:42
I was looking at the Galco Royal Guard Inside the Pant holster for my 1911. It is made of Horsehide and the same basic design as the summer comfort. Does anyone have experince, pro's con's etc. It list for $124.00. I can get a Black Ops from custom carry for $175 that gives both inside and outside carry. Any thoughts guys.

cathellsk
08-27-09, 19:28
I have several of these for different pistols....Glock, SIG, Beretta, 1911. I like them much more than the Summer Comfort as the horsehide is more sturdy and the loops allow for a lower fit to the belt than the Summer Comfort. I've had the Glock 19 and 5" 1911 versions since the early 2000s and they are still going strong.

Boris
08-27-09, 19:53
I have one and it has held up well. I've always been pleased with Galco products and their customer service.

-B

Ed L.
08-27-09, 20:11
I have one and like it. For whatever reason it seems particularly comfortable. I actually dumped a Milt Sparks SUmmer Special II in favor of this for a Glock 19. That's about as much as I can say--a sample of one.

mpardun
08-27-09, 20:28
Best holster in the $100 off the shelf range IMHO.

Alos love High Noon, Del Fatti, Milt Sparks in the $150/$200 class. For a production product it is damn nice.

Freakdaddy
08-28-09, 00:57
I've had one for three years now and my experience echoes everything that's already been said. I especially like the horsehide as it's more impervious to moisture and that really helps when dealing with Missouri's humidity. I'm a big fan of Galco products and believe you'd be hard-pressed to find a better "mass produced" holster.

JonInWA
08-28-09, 08:06
I have several of them, for my SIG P225/P229, and my 1911/Hi-Power, and have used them for over 10 years. They're very comfortable and well made. I completely concur with the comments about Galco's quality and customer service-both are excellent.

The Royal Guards do not have a sweat shield; operationally this is of no issue to me (although I generally prefer to have them)-the construction of the holsters is such that the hammers don't dig into your side (particularly nice with a cocked-and-locked Hi-Power/1911, especially if the hammer spurs are somewhat sharp).

Best, Jon

Rinspeed
08-28-09, 08:57
I have several Galco holsters and they are a very good off the shelf holster. They are a bit over priced compared to Sparks or Alessi. Brownells has the Sparks Summer Special in stock most of the time.

rathos
08-28-09, 11:17
brownells has milt sparks Summer Special II's in stock for the 1911. It would save you about 30 bucks from what you are saying the galco is, its much better made in my opinon (and from the sounds of it many others) and it has the sweat shield. I would say go with that option. When I ordered mine since they are in stock it only takes about 3 days.

Jason Burton
09-01-09, 00:20
brownells has milt sparks Summer Special II's in stock for the 1911. It would save you about 30 bucks from what you are saying the galco is, its much better made in my opinon (and from the sounds of it many others) and it has the sweat shield. I would say go with that option. When I ordered mine since they are in stock it only takes about 3 days.

Sound advice...

I think you will find the original Sparks Summer Special as well as the Summer Special 2 to both be far superior to the Galco product which is largely based on the Summer Special design.

I have worn them all and can tell you that, in my opinion, when compared to the Galco the original Summer Special is a far superior holster in every way. While not stocked by Brownells the S/S can often be had with immediate delivery from Lightning Arms Sports. Should you want a slightly lower ride and sweat shield the Summer Special 2 would be the way to go and as mentioned above is generally available from Brownells.

Other quality holster options along the same lines as the Summer Special can be had from John Ralston @ 5 Shot Leather, Josh Bulman, and Matt Delfatti... all have made me holsters of similar design to the S/S and any of them would be a better choice if you are willing to wait or can find one readily available.

Kilroy
09-01-09, 08:45
As shown on the Galco web site, the straps for the Royal Guard do not fit a normal size belt. You'll need to pay an extra $20 to get the optional belt Channel.
Quoting the catalog for this model: "The Standard channel that came with the holster fits belts 1 ½” to 1 ¾”. Available for replacement in tan or black. The Optional channel width fits belts 1” to 1 ¼” and is also offered in tan or black. "

http://www.usgalco.com/Catalog/normal/RGBELTCH.jpg

You may want to assess your belt situation so that you can get the best fit of holsdter to belt. Here you can get close to the correct fit by purchasing this option.

Holster fit to a quality belt is important. A holster that flops around on a mis-matched belt (see photo below) will not be comfortable or present the pistol consistently.

http://www.usgalco.com/Catalog/large/RG_INUSE.jpg

Line Rider
10-13-09, 20:26
Galco makes a good holster. But I prefer a Milt Sparks holster.

Sam
10-13-09, 20:36
Like my friend Jason Burton said, you can order a Sparks Summer Special 2 from Brownells immediately, and they're only $96. Galco's RG is ok, I've seen and handled them and was amazed how HUGE it was compared to the SS2. It's heavy and bulky. The Sparks is the original that cost at least $30 less than the Galco copy.

For those who have discount account with Brownells, it's even cheaper. :)

Alpha Sierra
10-13-09, 20:50
I've been wearing my M&P in a FIST #20 for the last three weeks and I am hugely impressed by it.

After the break in period, this holster just gets better and better every day.

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/JRossy/guns/DSC00610.jpg

ETA: as a frame of reference, I have also have a Comp-Tac CTAC, K&D Cochise Defender, and Kirkpatrick Hidden Defense holsters to compare it to.

scottr
10-14-09, 18:59
As others have said, if you think you like the Galco Royal Guard, get the Milt Sparks from Brownells. The Milt Sparks Summer Special, SSII, EX, or any MS holster is better than the RG. Yes, I've had both of them. I gave the RG away after warning the recipient that he wouldn't like it. He didn't believe me....right away.

Even if you have to pay retail from Brownells, it is better. With shipping. And paying for the new pair of shoes for the wife and Friday night dinner.

Kramer (specify horsehide) and Fist both make good leather IWBs that you will probably be able to find in stock for the same or maybe slightly less.

Galco makes good shoulder holsters.