PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of condensing my pistol collection

cathellsk
09-01-09, 11:02
Need some opinions here. I don't consider myself a collector. My guns are ones I'll be using, not just taking up space in the safe. So I'm considering condensing down what I have.

My "go to" handguns are Glock 19s and Smith J frames. I've been tossing up the idea of getting another G26 (had several in the past) and I have a M&P .45 when I feel the need to go "big".

I've considered selling/trading off the others, all DA/SA. They just sit around and go the range occasionally. I'd never consider carrying them anymore.

How many of you have done something similar and did you regret it any?
Thanks for your thoughts.

gtmtnbiker98
09-01-09, 11:16
I did something similar towards the end of last year and the beginning of this year. I ditched the striker fired weapons (Glocks and M&Ps) and went all DA/SA with my Sigs and HKs. Do I regret the decision, no. It is better to focus on one trigger platform in my opinion.

cathellsk
09-01-09, 11:25
It is better to focus on one trigger platform in my opinion.

My thought too. I'm also wanting to keep my calibers to 9mm, .38Spl., and the occasional .45ACP.

Alpha Sierra
09-01-09, 11:57
Whatcha got for sale?

cathellsk
09-01-09, 12:13
Right now, a G23 that a coworker is supposed to be buying, a 228R (not sure on this one yet, kinda like having one USGI representative), and a S&W 4506-1.

Business_Casual
09-01-09, 13:02
Right now, a G23 that a coworker is supposed to be buying, a 228R (not sure on this one yet, kinda like having one USGI representative), and a S&W 4506-1.

No offense meant, but if that is the list, then yes sell them.

M_P

Outrider
09-01-09, 14:02
I have gone through the phase of clearing out stuff twice in the past and probably will do the same thing again in the future. After a while the collection can expand and there are certain items that almost never get used unless a friend wants to try something. I see nothing wrong with selling firearms that make it to the range once in a blue moon. To me, it's an indication of how little interest the shooter has in actually using it.

Right now, I'm toying with the idea of selling a rifle that I rarely shoot. There's nothing wrong with it. It's a good battle rifle. I like the design a lot. That's the reason I bought it. Unfortunately, it's simply one of those things where I am not using the rifle very often. It has become sort of an expensive paper weight because I prefer to take other stuff to the range.

Generally, I don't regret selling the firearms I have sold in the past. Of the stuff I have owned, only one has made it back to my possession after selling it to a friend who begged and pleaded for the item before changing his mind after owning it for several months. I repurchased it and about a month later he wanted to buy it back and I declined. I told him to buy one from someone else because I didn't want to have to buy it back a second time after he changed his mind again.

Aside from that, I think the only one, that I'd even be halfway interested in reacquiring was the first pistol I won money with at a match. -Purely nostalgia, not because I actually "need" it.

beltfed
09-01-09, 16:11
I thinned out my 1911s down to just two. I got rid of the regular production stuff for ammo and reloading components.

Regrets, none. Ive gotten better at using what I got then if Id kept all of them.

I dont see much of a need for a collection of uncollectable firearms. I mean if you have DA/SA or S/A stuff you love to take to the range and mess around with then yeah keep them. But if youve settled on striker fired stuff anyone would be better with them if they spent the money on ammo and training rather than collecting stuff that will never be worth anything.

JHC
09-01-09, 17:31
I used to burn with regrets when I was still chasing one of this and one of that. In recent years I'm shooting vastly more and focusing more on a basic battery of Glock 9mm's and ARs. The regret for the long departed S&W Registered Magnum is now dimmed. It was a work of gun making art but for what purpose? I have no use for a 48 oz .357.

Of your list, I've encountered so many rapid 4506 fans I'd hold onto that one me thinks. Others I'd flip.

Alpha Sierra
09-01-09, 17:53
Of all the three you mention, if I were you I'd keep the S&W.

cathellsk
09-01-09, 20:08
Thanks for the thoughts guys. :) I probably will keep the 4506-1, I'm a rabid fan of them too, even though they weigh a ton it shoots amazingly and is very reliable. I've been going back and forth with the 228R but all the talk of SIGs quality lately keeps turning me off to it. The 23 will be easy to off load, all the other handguns are G19s and J frames (Centennial no locks). Can't wait to see what these new interchangeable backstrap models look like at SHOT. I'd also like to get a RTF2 version if and when it ever comes out.

Beebo
09-02-09, 08:05
I've been condensing for a while now... it's basically become 9mm Glocks and 1911 .45 (one railed, one "traditional"), and a S&W .357 and .22 Ruger for plinking. Also decided to keep a Walther P38 with authentic German holster, and a compact Walther .25 model, then decided to hold onto the Ruger Mark II 22/45 and a Sig P226 (W. German model)... Ah cuss, I'll just keep rocking a collection. Condensing is futile.

Business_Casual
09-02-09, 08:17
Ah cuss, I'll just keep rocking a collection. Condensing is futile.

Most people don't really need to condense the "collection" as much as most people need to condense with what they practice and train. Keep all those guns, but try to master one of them for the next 12 months.

Dry fire it
Range fire it
Training fire it
Acquire spares and magazines for it

Do you doubt that will make a difference in your shooting?

M_P

Beebo
09-02-09, 08:26
Good clarification, M_P. I guess I should have stopped by stating I've only been shooting 9mm Glocks, mostly a 19, and a SA customized Loaded 1911. I've found it's useful to keep guns around for a couple of different calibers, though, as I find folks with little shooting experience appreciate an intro to different style guns and different calibers, then encouragement in one direction or another based on what they were able to shoot. But yes, you are very correct in saying we should be focusing on one platform, learning it, shooting it, mastering it, and then if we want to pick up another type, we can go for it.

Business_Casual
09-02-09, 08:41
Good clarification, M_P. I guess I should have stopped by stating I've only been shooting 9mm Glocks, mostly a 19, and a SA customized Loaded 1911.

So you are ignoring my suggestion

But yes, you are very correct in saying we should be focusing on one platform, learning it, shooting it, mastering it, and then if we want to pick up another type, we can go for it.

But you are saying you agree with me

:confused:

M_P

ST911
09-02-09, 10:23
Most people don't really need to condense the "collection" as much as most people need to condense with what they practice and train. Keep all those guns, but try to master one of them for the next 12 months.

Dry fire it
Range fire it
Training fire it
Acquire spares and magazines for it

Do you doubt that will make a difference in your shooting? M_P

Excellent point, and worthy of repeating.

There's nothing wrong with owning a lot of guns. The problem arises when you dilute your training time, muscle memory, and overall skill with one by spreading it too thin throughout a varied inventory.

For those who use guns for critical tasks, it's especially important. For those who are gun owners (vice shooters), it's less so.

That being said, I've refined my collection by types and calibers, and have only a few others as exemplars for teaching/demo/etc.

Beebo
09-02-09, 12:51
M_P,

I'm not ignoring the suggestion. I think it puts a nail in the coffin of this thread. I've shot the 19 almost exclusively, and it's my carry. Only recently did I start putting trigger time behind the 1911. I've got other handguns, but hardly any ammo for them, as those don't get shot, unless, like Skintop says, it's for teaching/demo. Sorry if that wasn't conveyed effectively.