PDA

View Full Version : First handgun *Update - Pics on pg. 2*

graffex
02-10-07, 12:49
Finally purchased my first handgun yesterday and after much though I went with a Glock 17. Now I just got to wait it out for 6 more days till I can bring it home :(

Can't wait to take it out and shoot the hell out of it. Pics will follow when I get bring it home. Have a feeling a Glock 19 might be following me home soon as well :D

LOKNLOD
02-10-07, 12:53
Congrats! The G17 is an excellent choice.

baffle Stack
02-10-07, 13:51
Bummer about that 7 day waiting period. :mad:

AR-15A3
02-10-07, 14:25
I've got an old first gen Glock 19 with night sights and it's my favorite compact pistol.

The 17 are fine, I've shot my father's G17 and it's almost the same except the larger size.

My first pistol was a High Standard .22 target model and my first centerfire was a 1911 .45 Gov't model.

I would suggest lots of practice so you get used to your new pistol, read some info on pistol shooting technique or take a class.

Congrats. :cool:

graffex
02-11-07, 18:38
Is the G17 GTG out of the box? I'm curious what internals you guys recommend for a duty/shtf oriented gun. Trigger, captured guide rods, extended controls, sights; all that kind of good stuff .

LOKNLOD
02-11-07, 18:45
Yes. The only things you need are good night sights, lots of mags and ammo, and a good holster.

Business_Casual
02-11-07, 20:28
LOKNLOD is right. Shoot it stock. Get night sights if you want, but no other stuff is necessary.

Note that the factory sights are a bit strange. The marketing guys put a dot on the front sight but you align the sights by making them level across the tops.

When you do that you'll see that the dot is only partially visible. If you can see the whole dot you'll shoot high.

The quickest way to deal with this is to take a Sharpie and black out the dot and the line on the rear sight. Or just switch to Straight-Eight sites from Heinie. A lot of shooters like the XS Big Dot, but I do not.

To make reloads easier, you can download your magazine by two rounds. They can be stiff when new and the downloading helps get them locked in quickly.

A lot of people who think the Glock is inaccurate are just flinching or using too much trigger finger on a Glock.

Instead of spending money on modifications or after-market parts, I suggest you spend it on ammo, magazines and training classes.

M_P

baffle Stack
02-11-07, 20:59
Yes. The only things you need are good night sights, lots of mags and ammo, and a good holster.

Heed these words.

graffex
02-11-07, 21:19
What sights do you guys recommend? Also, who can I get to put them on for me :)

madryan
02-11-07, 22:08

I may be in the minority here, but I actually really like the stock sights on my G-19. What I did was turn the rear sight around (Couldn't get it to stay black) and colored the front sight red. I might score a set of XS sights for it though.

I had Hienie sights on my G-17 and really liked them too, but would have liked them better with a wider rear notch.

LOKNLOD
02-11-07, 22:24
The usual suspects: Trijicons, Meprolights, Hienies, also the Warren Tacticals from sight sponsors I-shot are all solid choices.

My 17 came with Mepros, but I'm learning that I prefer a dot only on the front so I'm going to try some Warrens next.

Business_Casual
02-11-07, 23:04
I had Hienie sights on my G-17 and really liked them too, but would have liked them better with a wider rear notch.

Not to be pedantic, but they make a version with a "racing" or wide rear notch.

M_P

Voodoo6
02-11-07, 23:05
I carried a Gl-19 in Iraq on 2 tours and they're awesome pistols...Shoot it in good health and get some training. The best thing you can do is take sight pictures and dry fire it ALOT. It will help learning the feel of the Glock trigger. BTW, I saw an experienced dog handler shoot off his little finger because he didn't drop his mag and clear the weapon properly when he went to clean it. It will surprise you. Never thought I'd hear myself say that about a Glock.

PJS

madryan
02-12-07, 00:23
Not to be pedantic, but they make a version with a "racing" or wide rear notch.

M_P

As far as I know, the manufacturer doesn't off that, but a couple of places who sell glock stuff offer that sight.

nyeti
02-12-07, 01:09
While you're waiting to pick up the gun, run down to the store, get the slide, send it to Heinie for some straight eight slant pro's, and you should have it back by the time your wait is up. Other than that-LEAVE THE GUN ALONE!

I just finished another NRA L/E school with the top score with a G-17 with the only thing done is having the grip shortened to take G-19 mags (best of both worlds, as I daily carry this gun concealed). I keep my Glock internals dead stock and don't use an extended anything. Spend your money on training, bullets, and a high quality holster, belt and mag pouches.

Dave L.
02-12-07, 03:24
a G-17 with the only thing done is having the grip shortened to take G-19 mags (best of both worlds, as I daily carry this gun concealed).

Can you elaborate on this a little more, I'm interested because I was just going to buy a G-19?
Thanks,
Dave

Business_Casual
02-12-07, 06:15
As far as I know, the manufacturer doesn't off that, but a couple of places who sell glock stuff offer that sight.

#315GRC Glock SlantPro (All Black) Race Cut
#318GRC Glock SlantPro (Straight Eight) Race Cut
* Fits All Glock Models
* Rear Notch Width .156

M4arc
02-12-07, 06:37
Congratulations on your G17!

You made an excellent choice. These guys have given you some great advice so enjoy it and practice, practice, practice.

Oh and don't forget pictures after you pick it up ;)

LOKNLOD
02-12-07, 08:48
Can you elaborate on this a little more, I'm interested because I was just going to buy a G-19?
Thanks,
Dave

Not to hijack but check out this thread over at 10-8 forums. (http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=15318&page=&fpart=1&vc=1)

Been thinking about doing it to my 17 for a while, but I'm not sure I've got the proper tools.

Tang419
02-12-07, 10:01

I prefer Trijicons. They have always been brighter than the Meps or Glock Night Sights, that I have had.

graffex
02-13-07, 18:26
After doing a bit of research and reading reviews I'm going to go with the Heinie Strait-Eights. I'm also planning on getting a Surefire X200 for it. Can the light mount directly to the rail or to I need to get an adapater to attach the light to the rail?

Only 3 more days till I can bring her home, this waiting period is killing me :) Pics will follow.

ETA: Just seen on the Surefire sight that the light does mount directly to the Glocks rail.

Business_Casual
02-13-07, 21:43
I have all the necessary tools and experience to install the sights and help you zero them. By zero, I really mean drift the rear for windage. I could meet you at the NRA Range in Fairfax, VA some weekend day. Let me know if you want help.

M_P

graffex
02-14-07, 08:08
I have all the necessary tools and experience to install the sights and help you zero them. By zero, I really mean drift the rear for windage. I could meet you at the NRA Range in Fairfax, VA some weekend day. Let me know if you want help.

M_P

Thanks, but Fairfax is a pretty good haul from where I live in Pasadena. Traffic getting there and back is a bitch also. Did some work in Fairfax, and Manassass and man did I hate traveling there back and fourth everyday. I avoid the DC beltway and I-66 like the plauge :)

I didn't even know the NRA had ranges there at there headquarters, are they nice?

Greenbean
02-14-07, 11:51
Is the G17 GTG out of the box? I'm curious what internals you guys recommend for a duty/shtf oriented gun. Trigger, captured guide rods, extended controls, sights; all that kind of good stuff .

FWIW, I got three extra mags, G21, now I have five 13rounders, but anyway I ended up getting en extended slide release just b/c I realy have to hit the mag hard on the bottom when I insert another and usually twice for the slide to resapond and rack itself forward. I also think it's because when I do a 2 or 3 round only drill and then reload the new magazine with oinly 2 or 3 rounds in it had less inertial effect. I love my G21, but am drooling on the G21 SF.

Long Story with an ending,
I recommend the extended slide release, and AmeriGlo operator night sights.:cool:

graffex
02-14-07, 20:25
Well your not supposed to use the slide stop on the glock as a slide release. I just use the slingshot method anyhow so it's not going to be an issue.

Tang419
02-14-07, 20:57
Well your not supposed to use the slide stop on the glock as a slide release. I just use the slingshot method anyhow so it's not going to be an issue.

Just wondering why you say this ? I've always used them as slide releases, and never seen a reason why not to ?

graffex
02-17-07, 13:32
Got my gun yesterday but I can't find the USB cable that connects to my camera to upload some pics :( When I get access to another camera or find my cable I'll upload some pictures.

So far I like her and I'm glad I got the 17 instead of the 19. Just feels like it fits my hands better. Can't wait to get Henie straight-eights put on her. I'm going to be taking her out for her first range session in about 2-3 weeks hopefully. I can't wait :)

DBautista
02-17-07, 14:54
I didn't even know the NRA had ranges there at there headquarters, are they nice?

YES!!! The NRA range is very nice! The museum is also cool as hell too!

Congrats on the Glock purchase! Mine was a Glock 21. A 19 followed me home, then a 26, then a 17, and 34.

Grab a 19... It will follow you home.

graffex
02-21-07, 21:42
Pics as promised...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e241/rmdugan84/g171.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e241/rmdugan84/g172.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e241/rmdugan84/g173.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e241/rmdugan84/g174.jpg

Gun feels great in my hand. I love it. Can't wait to go out and shoot her. I'm going to send it away and get some Straight-Eights on it in a few weeks. Any input on particular lube you guys like to use in your Glocks and cleaning procedures would be helpful.

HotRod9mm
02-21-07, 22:47
I've got an old first gen Glock 19 with night sights and it's my favorite compact pistol...

Got pic's??? That would be cool. :cool:

Tang419
02-22-07, 00:39
Pics as promised...

Gun feels great in my hand. I love it. Can't wait to go out and shoot her. I'm going to send it away and get some Straight-Eights on it in a few weeks. Any input on particular lube you guys like to use in your Glocks and cleaning procedures would be helpful.

Ive started using Mil-Comm TW25 grease on my Glock's, but they arent picky.

Borrowed this from Glock Talk

Your GLOCK needs five (5) "drops" of oil.
#1 Underside of the slide, just forward of the barrel hood/chamber opening

#2 Outside surfaces of the barrel (including the barrel lug and the forward hood/chamber notch)
-> replace the barrel and recoil spring assembly now (if there's any oil left on your finger, rub it on the frame rails).

#3 Right rail groove

#4 Left rail groove
-> set the assembleed slide on its muzzle and let the rail drops run down the grooves while you finish.

#5 Connector/trigger bar interface
-> reassemble the pistol and run the slide a few times, first gently, then "full speed".

graffex
02-22-07, 19:03
Thanks for the info :D