PDA

View Full Version : Do you carry an M&P 45 on duty?

Oscar 319
09-03-09, 23:42
I admit it. I hate my Glock 22. After 5 years, thousands of rounds and 0 malfunctions, I can't get into this gun. I love my G27 and Gen 2 G23. I get along with my G17 just fine. I just can't warm up to the G22. Anyway, I've decided that I am going to begin carrying my M&P 45 on duty. The biggest hang up I had was BUG/Off duty compatibility. Well, I'm over it. Many thousands of men have survived their careers carrying a J frame as a BUG to thier duty weapon. I'll be just fine carrying the G27 as a BUG to the M&P.

Anyway, those of you who carry an M&P 45 on duty (or in general), help me out.

Weapon mounted lights. What's the verdict on these mounted to the M&P 45? Any noted issues? The "frame flex" issue has been well documented in the non-9mm Glocks. I have fired a low number of rounds with a TLR-1 mounted with no issues.

Sights. Known fact: the factory sights on these guns are terrible. My department requires 3 dot tritium's. David Bowie's (Bowie Tactical) AmeriGlo seem to be the only game in town. Any other recommendations?

Duty Holsters. I can't find a Safariland duty holster that fits the M&P 45 with a light mounted. I know Blade-Tech makes one. I would like to mount a Procyon to the M&P. Anyone else? What do you use?

Magazine Holders. Again, for a duty belt. The M&P 45 mags are an odd-ball size. What do you carry your mags in?

For those of you who have carried the M&P 45 for a significant amount of time, what are your thoughts on the platform in general? Any other concerns? I've put just under 1,000 rounds through mine with out any issues. I really like the gun, which has motivated me to promote my M&P 45 from toy to tool.

I hope to be set up and switched over by my Spring qualifier. Thank you for your feedback.

O319

NCPatrolAR
09-04-09, 00:01
Weapon mounted lights. What's the verdict on these mounted to the M&P 45? Any noted issues? The "frame flex" issue has been well documented in the non-9mm Glocks. I have fired a low number of rounds with a TLR-1 mounted with no issues.

There should be no framre flex issue with any of the M&Ps due to the metal chasis that is contained in the frame. I've put thousands of rounds through 9mm, 40, and 45 M&Ps with TLR-1s, Procyons, X300s, and X200s and had 0 issues.

Sights. Known fact: the factory sights on these guns are terrible. My department requires 3 dot tritium's. David Bowie's (Bowie Tactical) AmeriGlo seem to be the only game in town. Any other recommendations?

While I dont prefer the factory sights, I'm forced to use them at work and dont really think they are "terrible". My personal M&Ps use a factory front tritium sight and a Burwell rear sight with a single tritium vial. I greatly prefer the Straight 8 format for my sights and go with it whenever possible.

Duty Holsters. I can't find a Safariland duty holster that fits the M&P 45 with a light mounted. I know Blade-Tech makes one. I would like to mount a Procyon to the M&P. Anyone else? What do you use?

I use a Safriland 6280 for a MP45 w/ TLR-1 for my duty style holster needs. Copquest has them and thats where I ordered mine. At work we use the Safariland 6360s for our M&P40s with mounted Procyons.

Magazine Holders. Again, for a duty belt. The M&P 45 mags are an odd-ball size. What do you carry your mags in?

Eagle FB pouches can work. I use a Tac Tailor standard dual mag pouch for my mag needs at work. I would think any of the Safariland duty mag pouches would work as well.

For those of you who have carried the M&P 45 for a significant amount of time, what are your thoughts on the platform in general? Any other concerns? I've put just under 1,000 rounds through mine with out any issues. I really like the gun, which has motivated me to promote my M&P 45 from toy to tool.

I hope to be set up and switched over by my Spring qualifier. Thank you for your feedback.

O319

No issues with mine. My 45 eats everything from Ranger JHPs to lightweight frangible loads.

On a seperate note; I wouldnt use a Procyon if I had a choice. We are issued them at work, but I would much prefer to use a X300 if given the chance.

Oscar 319
09-05-09, 17:30
Great info NCPatrol.

I found the holster I was looking for at Cop Quest. I should have looked there first instead of the dated Safariland "will-fit" chart I was looking at. I swore off the Safariland a while back due to this:https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=16001
I am now ready to give them another shot. The Blade-tech holster has been OK, but not to great. I will give the 6280 a shot for my M&P.

What do the other guys that carry the 45 use for mag holders? I found that the M&P 45 mags fit tightly (with the tension screw let out) in my Bianchi AccuMold "Triple-threat" open top carrier I use for my G22 mags. I did this after asking a co-worker what he carried his XD45 mags in. It works for him. Not for me.

I played around with the Procyon mounted to a buddies HK45 and kinda liked it. I love the X300 but can't justify the cost versus the TLR-1 I already have.

Who else carries the M&P 45 on duty? What is your set up?

Jaeger
09-06-09, 08:01
Just an FYI on the TLR1. My Department has suffered about a 90% failure rate with the TLR1 lights. Damn near everyone who bought one (including myself) has had the light go down and had to send it back for repair. To their credit Streamlight has repaired them all promptly and as far as I know there have been no issues since the repairs. I don't know if we got a bad batch of them or if there was an endemic design flaw but it is something to be aware of.

ST911
09-06-09, 10:38
Just an FYI on the TLR1. My Department has suffered about a 90% failure rate with the TLR1 lights. Damn near everyone who bought one (including myself) has had the light go down and had to send it back for repair. To their credit Streamlight has repaired them all promptly and as far as I know there have been no issues since the repairs. I don't know if we got a bad batch of them or if there was an endemic design flaw but it is something to be aware of.

What problem(s) did you have?

The switches have always been a weak point on the M and TLR lines, and should be expected to fail at some point.

Streamlight circuitry in their LEDs has also been iffy.

Lawdog537
09-06-09, 12:24
M&P 45 mags seem to work fin in mag pouches made for the Glock 17/22 mags. All the Eagle FB pouches I have for my glocks will fit the M&P 45 mags and hold very securely..........................

nickdrak
09-08-09, 22:00
I carry my M&P45 (full size) with a Surefire X300 mounted in a Safariland 6360. I like the 6300 series (ALS & SLS) holsters far more than the 6280 (SLS only).

I have the Heinie "Ledge/Straight Eight" sights on mine. The new "Tactical" sights (3-dot) that S&W shows in their new catalog look to be an improvement over the standard Novak style sights. The "Tactical" sights look to be a standard Novak sight with a flat/vertical surface cut into the leading edge of the sight.

I carry my M&P45 magazines in open an top Bianchi #29 double mag pouch with zero issues.

Function on my 45 has been perfect.

Oscar 319
09-23-09, 20:55
Thanks for the input guys.

It seems that the Hennie and Warren "8" sights are the bees knees right now. After 20 years on the 3 dots, my eyes/brain don't jive with that pattern. I can see how it would be faster with some training. I'm curious as to what your learning curve with that style (staight 8 two dot) was like.

I opted for the Bowie/AmeriGlo "Operator" sights (Grn front/Yellow rear). Ordering directly from Ameriglo and using the "GSSF" promotion code, the price including S/H was only $70.

I located the Safariland ALS holser I was looking for from Copquest.

I've decided to "do it right" and pony up the cash for an X300. (I write this while working one of my part-time jobs, cost unfortunately, is an issue.)

I found that my existing Biachi Triple threat mag pouch currently being used for Glock 17/22 mags will work with M&P 45 mags, with the tension let out. It should get even better after the mags spend a little time inside.

Now, lastly, I am considering sending the M&P to the S&W Performace Center for the "M&P Action Package". Bowie and Burwell are out of the question due to voided warranty issues and possible coflict with my Agency.

I am reminded of this due to the "Night Sights" and "S&W PC Action Job (M&P 40)" threads going right now.

I am curious about the results of the Action Package on an M&P 45, and if it's worth the cash?