PDA

View Full Version : Rail-mounted white light for G17

7.62NATO
09-07-09, 09:40
vvvvvv

El Cid
09-07-09, 09:57
Surefire X300 rides on my G22 24/7. No other light I'd even consider on the market.

NCPatrolAR
09-07-09, 10:00
X300 without a doubt. For more budget-minded people the TLR-1 will work.

Lights I wouldn't use: Insight Procyon

JiMfraRED1911
09-07-09, 10:08
Another vote for the Surefire X300.

xtremejc
09-07-09, 11:35
X300 without a doubt. For more budget-minded people the TLR-1 will work.

Lights I wouldn't use: Insight Procyon

What is it about the Procyon that you don't like?

NCPatrolAR
09-07-09, 11:40
What is it about the Procyon that you don't like?

I dont care for the independent switching arms, how easy it is to activate the light, how the light flies off certain pistols like the M&P, etc

xtremejc
09-07-09, 12:02
I dont care for the independent switching arms, how easy it is to activate the light, how the light flies off certain pistols like the M&P, etc

Thanks for the answer NC !!! I was just curious about it since I have 3 XTI Procyon lights on 3 different pistols and have never had any troubles with light AD's or them flying off any of my Glocks (~11,000 Rounds fired with the lights on them). I have found the X300 switching to be pretty stiff for pistol duty but just about right for rifle use. It must be hand/finger positioning for me...

I have 3 X300's on rifles, 3 Procyon's on Pistols, and another TLR1 on another pistol and they all have been outstanding. Pricewise, it is hard to argue with the TLR1 and Procyon but my rifles will always run X300's...

Turnkey11
09-07-09, 12:27
X300 on my 19.

Spiffums
09-07-09, 12:39
I have my M-3 Tactical from way back when they 1st came out.

87GN
09-07-09, 14:51
X300 is a great pistol light, it resides on my G34 at night.

tusk212
09-07-09, 15:31
X300 is a great pistol light, it resides on my G34 at night.

The rusty G34?

87GN
09-07-09, 15:34
Yeah, that one. :p

Going to blast/refinish it today or tomorrow.

tusk212
09-07-09, 15:38
Im still amazed by that. :)

matthewdanger
09-07-09, 16:59
The X300 is the standard. The TLR-1 is decent. However, I prefer the Procyon to the TLR-1.

The Procyon has been through a few changes since NCPatrolAR's initial experience with them. They now come with milled aluminum lock bars which are MUCH more secure. Insight will provide them free of charge if you have Procyons with the older plastic lock bars. The Procyon also have some of the most holster options available. They will fit in holsters designed for the M3 which means that you can even get the excellent Safariland holsters that will work with or without the light!

I have really come to like my Procyons since the addition of the updated lock bars. However, the X300 is still king.

ST911
09-07-09, 16:59
With the X300 being soooo good, it's hard to consider others.

Streamlight/Insight M3, M6 need not apply.

NCPatrolAR
09-07-09, 18:06
The Procyon has been through a few changes since NCPatrolAR's initial experience with them. They now come with milled aluminum lock bars which are MUCH more secure. Insight will provide them free of charge if you have Procyons with the older plastic lock bars.

They sent my partner an updated locking bar several weeks ago after his light flew off during training and flew apart. I'm fortunate in that mine light is only loose on the gun and hasnt taken flight. I do wish they would rework the controls on it, but I seriously doubt that will happen.

7.62NATO
09-07-09, 18:10
The overwhelming majority has suggested the Surefire X300. It seems $250 is the going price on these units. I see that Grant is out of them. Any other reputable firms that might stock them? Thanks to everyone for chiming in!

87GN
09-07-09, 18:22
Sometimes you can find them used, one went for $150 on TOS EE a while back.

Also you might find the X200 used for a song. Still a viable weaponlight. Not as effective outdoors as the X300. But still good indoors.

matthewdanger
09-07-09, 19:23
They sent my partner an updated locking bar several weeks ago after his light flew off during training and flew apart. I'm fortunate in that mine light is only loose on the gun and hasnt taken flight. I do wish they would rework the controls on it, but I seriously doubt that will happen.

That stinks! I will continue to keep a close eye on mine. Your issues with the Procyon have always given me second thoughts about mine. Is there any chance that the adjustable rail wasn't tightened properly?

One thing I did was tighten the adjustable rails differently than the manual prescribes. Instead of putting it on the rail and tightening it to fit the individual rails on my Glocks, I basically tightened the rail as much as I could while it was off the Glock. That way it is an EXTREMELY tight fit. Thankfully, I haven't had a single issue with the new lock bars through about 1200 rounds on my G35 (stays on the G21 well too but I don't have as many rounds on the G21).

It is awful hard to recommend the Procyon with your continued issues!

NCPatrolAR
09-07-09, 20:40
That stinks! I will continue to keep a close eye on mine. Your issues with the Procyon have always given me second thoughts about mine. Is there any chance that the adjustable rail wasn't tightened properly?

One thing I did was tighten the adjustable rails differently than the manual prescribes. Instead of putting it on the rail and tightening it to fit the individual rails on my Glocks, I basically tightened the rail as much as I could while it was off the Glock. That way it is an EXTREMELY tight fit. Thankfully, I haven't had a single issue with the new lock bars through about 1200 rounds on my G35 (stays on the G21 well too but I don't have as many rounds on the G21).

It is awful hard to recommend the Procyon with your continued issues!

We have tried tightening the rails various ways with the same results. When we first got them, several guys broke rails trying to eliminate the play we were encountering.

matthewdanger
09-07-09, 20:49
We have tried tightening the rails various ways with the same results. When we first got them, several guys broke rails trying to eliminate the play we were encountering.

That is really dissapointing.

With all that info, I would definitely recommend the X300 and not the Procyon.

graffex
09-08-09, 00:34
Like most others, I highly recommend the Surefire X300. Sure, it costs a bit more, but it is worth it IMO.

ROCKET20_GINSU
09-08-09, 02:36
My only experience has been with the X200B and X300. Both are terrific lights, with the edge going to the X300, I feel its brighter and has more throw.

I like the DG switch for the surefire pistol lights if you "know" you're going to be using it at night, but it gets in the way during daylight live fire as I have trouble shooting without activating the light and burning the batteries without cause. Also be careful on the draw with the DG switch, as its easy to cause a white light AD while establishing your grip.

GU

tpd223
09-08-09, 15:10
X300, or the Streamlight, both are good lights, the X300 is definitely the more capable light in my experience.

I worked with a prototype of the Procyon a few years ago, I actually liked the switching, but that light was a bit different (no strobe as an example) so my experience is dated.

JimmyB62
09-08-09, 17:44
The overwhelming majority has suggested the Surefire X300. It seems $250 is the going price on these units. I see that Grant is out of them. Any other reputable firms that might stock them? Thanks to everyone for chiming in!

If you're not opposed to using eBay, you can find them new for under $200 shipped. Understand though that these dealers are violating their pricing agreement with Surefire that other reputable stocking dealers must adhere to (if they want to continue carrying Surefire products).

El Cid
09-09-09, 12:58
For mil/LE folks, buy direct from Surefire. They give 20% off (used to be 25). For private citizens, the folks at LA Police Gear typically have competitive prices.

SteyrAUG
09-09-09, 17:14
I still have a M3 from about 10 years ago that I haven't managed to break yet.

That said I usually go with a TL1.

Patrolman175
09-10-09, 15:42
I use an Insight M3X on my Glock 21SF, great light!

uwe1
09-12-09, 11:19
I'm a newbie with weaponlights, but I've read into it a lot. I currently have a TLR1, mounted at 12 o'clock in front of the FSB of a DDM4, I got for about $90. With the X300 priced at above $200, can I get a little clarification about what advantages the X300 has over the TLR1? I'm pretty happy with the brightness and throw of the TLR1, but I would like some member opinions and feedback on why the X300 is a better choice in their opinion. I plan on purchasing another set of lights, for my Glock17 and MP9 Pro, and wondered if there were considerations when using the TLR1 or X300.

LockenLoad
09-12-09, 19:04
I'm a newbie with weaponlights, but I've read into it a lot. I currently have a TLR1, mounted at 12 o'clock in front of the FSB of a DDM4, I got for about $90. With the X300 priced at above $200, can I get a little clarification about what advantages the X300 has over the TLR1? I'm pretty happy with the brightness and throw of the TLR1, but I would like some member opinions and feedback on why the X300 is a better choice in their opinion. I plan on purchasing another set of lights, for my Glock17 and MP9 Pro, and wondered if there were considerations when using the TLR1 or X300.

reread the thread it's all in there the answers to your question, surefire's a bullet proof if you ask me and who wants a light that flies off your gun?

Longhorn
09-12-09, 22:01

If you go into the Lights/Laser/Knife area, you'll find there's a X300 vs TLR1.

Basically, most people feel the X300 has better activation controls/accessories (remote switches) and a more solid mount.

The TLR while good, some just don't like the levers or how it mounts (with the screw) but feel for the price they understand why people purchase it.

tkoglman
09-19-09, 03:00
I've used the X300, owned an M3X, and currently use a Procyon on my G34.

I too had the problem of the Procyon moving on the rail (almost coming off). I had the wrong locking bar in it. I switched locking bars and added some tension to the leaf spring by bending it up. Over 1000 rounds later and no problems. I would not discount the Procyon for this reason any more as it seems to have been fixed.

I really prefer the switch on the Procyon to the X300. The X300's "push forward to activate" temporary switch is a real pain. It is too close to my thumb so I have to adopt an unnatural grip to hit it and it causes pain during recoil. The Procyon's "push down to activate" temporary switch is much better, for me, as I can maintain the same thumb position and there is no discomfort at all firing. A little known fact is that you can adjust the tension on the switches of the procyon with a small allen wrench.

I also like the fact that the Procyon will fit the M3 holsters, so there is no problem finding one (unlike the M3X).

I have a buddy who bought an X300 on my recommendation before I bought the Procyon and he is mad at me because he spent more money. He too prefers the Procyon's switch.

Obviously others' mileage has varied, but I'd recommend the procyon.

Mr. Happy
09-20-09, 17:31
For my G19, I'm waiting for Glock to switch to LED in their light. It's GOT to be soon, right??

http://www.cybershooters.org/images/SHOT%20show%202002/Glocklight.jpg

toasterlocker
09-21-09, 12:32
I had an X300 and was happy to be rid of it. The switches were so stiff that I couldn't work it one handed. I also didn't like the greenish yellow tint of the LED.

I have been much happier since switching to the Procyon. The floodier beam is better for building searches, and I prefer the cooler tint. And most important, the switches are easy to use. And unlike the Streamlight TLR-1, the switches operate the same on both sides of the light.

The only reason I would get a X300 is if you absolutely needed to have a pressure switch and were willing to spend the ridiculous amount of money the switch would cost. Not to mention how overpriced the light itself is.

I'm sorry, but I don't think the X300 is worth the $100+ extra dollars when it isn't even brighter than the competition.

I have been using the Procyon for over a year now on the job and haven't had any problems, unlike the X300.