PDA

View Full Version : H&K USP 9mm Pros/Cons

AR15thur
09-09-09, 08:30
I've been taking a gander at the HK USP 9mm. I'm not set on the full-size or compact, as this will primarily be a range/home defense gun. The Glock 19 is currently pulling CCW duties, but I'm not opposed to switching it out from time to time with another gun.

So, can someone give me the rundown on the USP/USPc, what the positives and negatives are regarding things like: accuracy, trigger pull, parts and mags, etc.

Or would someone recommend something else all together? I'm mostly looking for something in a DA/SA trigger and would like one of the higher quality makes/models like HK, Sig.

Business_Casual
09-09-09, 09:21
Why do you want a different trigger in your HD/range gun from your Glock? Are you hoping for an ND/AD in the middle of the night to spice things up?

And yes, as you guessed, magazines and parts are difficult to find for the USP unless you are in the Bundeswehr.

M_P

kmrtnsn
09-09-09, 09:32
I had an HK USP full sized for about a year. It was a nice gun, it was just bigger than I wanted. I have run the HK USPc LEM in .40 S&W since 2001. If you get the HK, get the LEM trigger group. Also, take a look at the P2000. It is the USPc with some nice ergonomic upgrades; it is fully ambidextrous, with controls on both sides of the pistol (Mag release and slide release), it has removable backstraps so you can fit it to your hand, and it uses USPc magazines. I also run the P2000SK, the sub-compact version. I have had no issues at all with either pistol. I'd recommend any of the three, P2000, P2000SK, or the USPc for carry use. They aren't cheap but I have always felt that I got what I paid for.

There is no issue at all in procuring USPc/P2000 magazines. They can be found about anywhere. If you are LE you can buy the pistol and all the mags you want straight from HK.

JiMfraRED1911
09-09-09, 11:10
What M_P said.

Outlander Systems
09-09-09, 11:24
I don't see how DA/SA is going to initiate an ND.

That's been one of the single biggest mind-blowers for me.

I will agree with the Sea Dog that finding magazines for the USPs can be both difficult and expensive.

Other than that, HK, in my opinion, is the single-greatest small-arms manufacturer bar none.

I've never owned a pistol that can take an ass-beating like the USP can, and still spit lead.

Business_Casual
09-09-09, 11:41
a pistol that can take an ass-beating like the USP can,

I tend to treat things that I depend on for my life with respect. I tend to maintain them, be careful with them and don't beat them with my ass.

A typical DA pull weight is 12 lbs.

A typical Glock pull weight is 5.5 lbs.

If you practice with a DA/SA gun you will train yourself to expect that trigger.

Pretty simple, really.

M_P

AR15thur
09-09-09, 11:53
I guess I should clarify a bit

This won't be my primary home defense gun, it'll just be part of the stable. I understand "The man who owns one gun" mentality, I'd just like to have something with a little more class and refinement than my Glock's and XD. Also, I'd like something a tad more accurate for the range.
I actually would prefer the Sig, but from everything I've read, the QC is just not that great anymore, and if I'm going to shell out that kind of change, I want more than just the name for my money.

JiMfraRED1911
09-09-09, 11:57
Why not the P2000 or the P30 then?

John_Wayne777
09-09-09, 11:59
I guess I should clarify a bit

This won't be my primary home defense gun, it'll just be part of the stable. I understand "The man who owns one gun" mentality, I'd just like to have something with a little more class and refinement than my Glock's and XD. Also, I'd like something a tad more accurate for the range.
I actually would prefer the Sig, but from everything I've read, the QC is just not that great anymore, and if I'm going to shell out that kind of change, I want more than just the name for my money.

"Class" and "refinement" are not words I would use in regards to polymer-framed handguns.....

I would say, however, that if you're looking at an HK handgun, the P30 with the LEM system set up the way that Todd Green's gun is set up would be worth looking into. I've had some trigger time on his pistol and it's a very nice handgun. The P30 is a refinement of the USP design...a much-needed refinement, in my view. I don't see why people are still buying the original USPs.

AR15thur
09-09-09, 12:15
I'm not against the P30 or P2000. Neither model is available nearby for me to actually take a look at though.

How do they compare to the USP in terms of accuracy, trigger pull, etc.?

Also, I've never used it, but the DAK/LEM style of trigger seems like it would be strange and hard to get used to. But I really don't know.

EDIT: Also, I know it's not refined like a nice 1911 or anything, but hopefully it won't be as finicky either.

JiMfraRED1911
09-09-09, 12:28
The two most notable areas where HK beavered away on the P30 is the frame. It features less agressive front and backstrap texturing, paired along with adjustable backstraps (IMHO, a state of the art MUST HAVE when it comes to service pistols). Second was the rail interface, that now adheres to MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny spec. The USP had a proprietary setup. Shame when you realize that that the USP was the first poly service pistol to incorporate a rail.

As a whole, I wouldn't worry about mechanical accuracy if it bears a HK badge.

kanak
09-09-09, 13:15
There is no issue at all in procuring USPc/P2000 magazines. They can be found about anywhere. If you are LE you can buy the pistol and all the mags you want straight from HK.Wow! Where did you get that info from? When I was researching the P30, I wrote to HK-USA (used my department email) and they responded that I needed to located an LE distributor because they don't sell their firearms direct. Maybe you're thinking of SIG. I know for sure that they sell direct to Officers as a few in my department have already done so.

Kimbo
09-09-09, 14:07
Only thing bad about HK's are the price on their mags :(

El Cid
09-09-09, 14:44
I have an early USP9 (traditional rifling instead of polygonal) and it's been the most reliable gun I've ever shot. I swear if I could fit rocks in the magazine the gun would feed them. Very smooth shooting and all around great pistol.

As for DA/SA, just do as God and JMB intended you do... engage the frame mounted manual safety and use it cocked and locked. That's how I've always used my USP9 and USP45C.

Now, as much as I love the USP9, I'd have to recommend you look hard at the P2000 or P30. I very much want a P30L but have other priorities at the moment. The P30 grip is about the best I've ever felt on a stock handgun. The interchangeable panels allow for more hands to fit it. The only thing I don't like about the P30 and P2000 is you can't carry C&L. The LEM trigger would be the way to go in that case IMO. The trigger on the USP9 isn't the best ever, but it's not bad and easily mastered IME.

The other drawback about the USP9 is the accessory rails. Because HK was first out of the block to put them on a pistol, they are proprietary. You can do like I did and put the Surefire universal adapter on it, but then it won't work in most holsters. If you won't be carrying the gun, that won't be a factor.

I haven't found mags to be that terribly expensive or difficult to come by. CDNN usually has the best availability and prices I've found. I have several 15rd mags, some with Enterprise +2 base pads. I have a few of the white 18rd mags and even a 31rd mag for novelty purposes.

Again, I think the USP9 is a great weapon, but given the choice today I'd opt for the P30L. Good luck whatever you decide.

hkusp1
09-09-09, 16:12
i dont know much about the HK usp 9mm but i do have a full size usp .45 and it works great, no complaints other than mags being so expensive but if you watch cdnn investments the have they run sales on HK factory mags they have them in .45 for 25 bucks each right now.

Hunter Rose
09-09-09, 16:15
I don't see why people are still buying the original USPs.

For me the answer is "Variant 9". Cocked and locked, single action all the time and second strike capability. It works great and I wish that HK would release the damn detent plate for the HK45.

Also, I prefer the grip texture on the USPs. Personally, I find the P2000 and HK45Compact grips too "slick".

The USPs are accurate, reliable as all hell, and built like tanks too!

SteyrAUG
09-09-09, 17:15
I don't see why people are still buying the original USPs.

I got most of mine when they first came out. But the only thing really wrong with them is the proprietary rail.

kmrtnsn
09-09-09, 22:24
"Wow! Where did you get that info from?"

I bought both my HK's from HK.

gtmtnbiker98
09-10-09, 09:26
You really owe it to yourself to check out the P2000 and the P30/L. For HK and 9mm, the USP is rather outdated by the previously mentioned pistols. I love the P30 BTW and the P2000SK v3 in 9mm is my EDC.

Alpha Sierra
09-10-09, 17:08
Why do you want a different trigger in your HD/range gun from your Glock? Are you hoping for an ND/AD in the middle of the night to spice things up?
Maybe you cannot manage more than one kind of trigger on firearms. That does not necessarily apply to everyone else.

Alpha Sierra
09-10-09, 17:14

That's been one of the single biggest mind-blowers for me.

It won't.

I've fired just over ten thousand rounds over the last two years through DA revolvers, DA/SA semi autos, and striker fired semi autos and have yet to launch one when I did not want to.

To the OP, if you have smallish hands the USP is a brick that does not allow a proper grip.

If you want something more refined than a Glock and want a semi auto, a High Power will do.