PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Combat polymer 9mm

ccoker
09-10-09, 13:25
I was quite fortunate to have been invited to go hunt with Bill Wilson over the weekend and got to shoot this new pistol

it was (as expected) VERY nice and 100% reliable

suffice it to say, it’s on my wish list!!

Bill is sending some pics of me and my son shooting it and will post

spamsammich
09-10-09, 14:35
As long as Glock exists, I'd have trouble dropping 2K on a polymer 9. Hell, it would be the same if I were rich and Glock didn't exist.

Alpha Sierra
09-10-09, 17:15
I'd have trouble dropping 2K on a polymer 9.
Period

senorlinc
09-10-09, 22:25
it was (as expected) VERY nice and 100% reliable

how many rounds did you get to fire?

ccoker
09-11-09, 09:14
in all honesty, I didn't put THAT many rounds through it to be able to claim it "perfect"
it was a preproduction unit and Bill hadn't even shot this particular one yet

Bill shot it, I did and so did my 12 year old son
We were really focused on working up 6.8 loads

is it pricey? yea, of course
did it fit and handle like a 1911?
yea
was it light, great trigger and accurate?
yea

DacoRoman
09-11-09, 15:38
The high price might partly be due to the low production capacity but if Wilson was serious about selling this thing they would have to price it at a maximum of $800-1000. Even then I would never be a beta tester, especially with such a pricey gun. Seems like it's a rich enthusiasts hobby gun. I do hear that u can get it sans ridiculous name on the slide :D

Littlelebowski
09-12-09, 00:09
Tell him we'd like to see a lower price and impartial testing.

eternal24k
09-13-09, 10:10
Cut the price in half and I would buy one

ToddG
09-14-09, 16:05
When Wilson is selling fewer than they can build, they will lower the price. But as long as they sell as many as they build -- which would be my guess at least for now -- there's no reason for them to drop the price.

I think it's a mistake to see this pistol as a Glock competitor. It's intended to be in a completely different class. Whether or not it delivers on that intention, of course, is the real question.

KingsideRook
09-14-09, 16:50
When Wilson is selling fewer than they can build, they will lower the price. But as long as they sell as many as they build -- which would be my guess at least for now -- there's no reason for them to drop the price.

I think it's a mistake to see this pistol as a Glock competitor. It's intended to be in a completely different class. Whether or not it delivers on that intention, of course, is the real question.

Yeah, I tend to agree. I am not the target market for this firearm, but then, I'm not the target for the Rohrbaugh either, and they're still doing fine. The people who buy P7M13s are more likely to want one of the Wilson 9mms than most Mil/LE customers, provided they deliver on the price tag after long term testing.

ccoker
09-14-09, 17:22
I have been toying with the idea of a 9mm 1911 and when I saw this pistol laying on a shelf at Bill's place, I asked if I could shoot it..

he wouldn't have even mentioned it to me most likely
he was busy working up 6.8 loads to go hunting hogs with
and we did do just that

I really think getting hung up on the frame material is not warranted

I took it for what it was, a 1911 9mm, that felt right, had a great trigger, was very light and happened to have a frame made out of polymer

I have had over a dozen Glocks, never seem to keep em long
I have an M&P and like it a lot..

I know it's probably sacrilegious to some but if it works, it works

I do know that it was a very nice shooting gun and is backed by a company with a good rep..

TY44934
09-14-09, 17:22
Wilson's "gas retard" gun? (Bill's words, NOT mine - see the link below).

Sorry, but this thing has been around for years. It is trotted out at every SHOT show. And at $2k, the concensus is: it is a turd:

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_adp.asp

Looks a lot like a Lorcin or a Hi-Point to me. No adjustable backstrap - so fitting is take-it-or-leave-it.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/handguns/adp/large/07.jpg

Apparently, the design and manufacture are originally South African. Seems like Wilson simply re-badged the thing as a "Wilson ADP." And increased the price.

This is the same trick as was pulled with the "SpringfieldXD" which is really a Croatian 2000 , the Armalite AR-24, which is realy an Turkish Huglu copy of the 75, and the "STI GP-6" which is simply a Slovakian k-100 Grand Power 9mm. All at higher prices.

Besides, look at the competition: S&W M&P, the Glock of course, and the H&K P30, not to mention the Steyr, CZ P-07 and about 1/2 dozen other polymer guns that are as good as Bill Wilson's $2k Hi-Point. And speaking of points, I do NOT see the point of dropping $2K on Bill's new polymer playtoy. Try $400 and then we will talk.

TMMT
09-14-09, 18:12
Wilson's "gas retard" gun? (Bill's words, NOT mine - see the link below).

Sorry, but this thing has been around for years. It is trotted out at every SHOT show. And at $2k, the concensus is: it is a turd:

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_adp.asp

Looks a lot like a Lorcin or a Hi-Point to me. No adjustable backstrap - so fitting is take-it-or-leave-it.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/handguns/adp/large/07.jpg

Apparently, the design and manufacture are originally South African. Seems like Wilson simply re-badged the thing as a "Wilson ADP." And increased the price.

This is the same trick as was pulled with the "SpringfieldXD" which is really a Croatian 2000 , the Armalite AR-24, which is realy an Turkish Huglu copy of the 75, and the "STI GP-6" which is simply a Slovakian k-100 Grand Power 9mm. All at higher prices.

Besides, look at the competition: S&W M&P, the Glock of course, and the H&K P30, not to mention the Steyr, CZ P-07 and about 1/2 dozen other polymer guns that are as good as Bill Wilson's $2k Hi-Point. And speaking of points, I do NOT see the point of dropping $2K on Bill's new polymer playtoy. Try $400 and then we will talk.

Good Gawd! That thing is hideous...

joe138
09-14-09, 19:23
I think that the original posts were ref. to the Spec-Ops 9mm, not the ADP. I did not find the ADP on Wilson Combats web site.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-14-09, 20:15
STI Tactical (http://stiguns.com/guns/Tactical4/Tactical4.html)

http://stiguns.com/guns/Tactical4/images/Tactical4Web_800w.jpg

$2000 doesn't sound that unreasonable, since a STI Tac is in that neighborhood. Not saying I'm going to pay it.

What mag system does it use, or is in proprietary?

DacoRoman
09-14-09, 20:25
The ADP has been discontinued for a while. In a sense the Spec Ops is an updated design of the KZ series.