PDA

View Full Version : Problem: FTE in M&P9 Pro

dsg2003gt
09-13-09, 19:54
I was at the range yesterday (this first time in months due to a lack of 9mm ammo) and I was shooting PRVI 115gr through the old follower design M&P9 17rd mags. I let my GF shoot, a Glock shooter who knows the effects of limp wristing and I saw the gun stop.

During her first mag (maybe round #10 in the guns life) the stoppage occured. Upon inspection I found a spent case in the chamber and another round pushing right up into it. I chalked it up to her limp wristing.

I cleared the malfuntion for her, she finished that mag and I loaded up another mag for me. I got through about 8 rounds (round #25) and had the exact same thing happen to me. I finished the remaining 25 rds (with no malfs), put the gun down and went back to shooting other guns.

My question is what would you do about this? Would you send it back to S&W or would you keep shooting and see if it occurs again? which I feel it will.

Thanks!

Heavy Metal
09-13-09, 20:00
That is not a double-feed. It it either a failure to extract or a failure to eject. A double feed is two live rounds trying to occupy the chamber at one time.

bobafett
09-13-09, 20:19
That is not a double-feed. It it either a failure to extract or a failure to eject. A double feed is two live rounds trying to occupy the chamber at one time.

Exactly

Field strip it and clean the extractor per S&W recommendations....

dsg2003gt
09-13-09, 21:29
i googled the problem, and it all said double feed even with a spent case. (forgive me, Ive never had any malfunctions with my glocks).

the extractor is brand new and visually it looks fine.

Would you just keep shooting until maybe 3 or 4 malfunctions occur?

Robb Jensen
09-13-09, 21:29
Return it to S&W for repair. Some 9mm M&Ps have defective extractors as of late. S&W is replacing the extractors and polishing the chambers. Then all is good.

ridewaves
09-13-09, 21:40
I'd put some more rounds through it. Does sound like its your extractor or ejector though.

ridewaves
09-13-09, 21:41
Return it to S&W for repair. Some 9mm M&Ps have defective extractors as of late. S&W is replacing the extractors and polishing the chambers. Then all is good.

Didnt see that. There you go.

dsg2003gt
09-13-09, 21:55

good to know. ill call them tomorrow for a RMA. Thanks!

Heavy Metal
09-13-09, 23:35
i googled the problem, and it all said double feed even with a spent case. (forgive me, Ive never had any malfunctions with my glocks).

the extractor is brand new and visually it looks fine.

Would you just keep shooting until maybe 3 or 4 malfunctions occur?

Don't believe everything you google. Just because someone else is using incorrect terminology is no reason to perpuate it.

By that definition, almost any common feed/extract/eject malfunction would be called a double-feed and that would make it a pretty meaningless term wouldn't it?

Live rounds feed from the magazine, which is the feeding device. Empty cases have already been fed prior to being fired. Their lot in life is to thus be extracted or ejected. Of those two, a failure to extract is almost always the cause of the failure to eject.

A true double-feed is almost always caused by a malfunction of the magazine. The remedy to it and to what you describe is going to be radically different so it makes zero sense to call them both the same thing.

the_fallguy
09-14-09, 01:22
I think of malfunctions in terms of the immediate action it takes to fix them, so I could see how that malfunction would be classified as a double feed. It takes the same action to clear the chambered case whether it's live or spent, and in most cases you wouldn't know which it was until it was cleared and recovered for inspection.

I'm guessing that a lot of shooters think in similar terms to this, right or wrong.

GaryXD
09-14-09, 07:21
What brand of ammo were you using?

Beat Trash
09-14-09, 08:27

This guy is correct.

Check your extractor to ensure it is clean.

There have been a few times when the extractor's were made out of spec due to worn cutting tools, or the Melonite finish was applied too thick, causing issues.

I'd call S&W customer service. Currently, they have one of the best, if not the best customer service in the industry. They will make it right for you.

Between my Issued M&P 9m, the T&E M&P guns I shot, and my personally owned M&P 9mm's, I have put more than a few rounds through M&P's over the last four years. I have not found them to be ammo sensitive, as to brand or bullet weight.

And no, I do not work for them....

Cal S&W, they'll take care of you.