PDA

View Full Version : How long is a Shock-Buff really good for?

Dave L.
02-13-07, 00:26
I have a Red Shock-Buff in my 1911 and I haven't changed it over 3 years. It has probably seen 1400-1700 rounds, I can't be positive.

How long is it really good for? It looks wore out but it still protects the metal-on-metal slamming. I know their are recommendations but I'm wondering how long you can really go with them.

I know some people will tell you to change them after every range session. Being they are polyurethane, it seems like they will almost last 8,000 before flattened.

:confused: :confused:

Striker5
02-13-07, 09:33
There is an excellent post on round counts and maintenance by Hilton Yam on 10-8. I cut/pasted it into my "1911 wisdom" file. Here is an excerpt:

"500-1,000 – If you are running a synthetic buffer in your gun, this is the interval at which you need to replace it. If you wait too long, the buffer will come apart inside the gun and tie it up. Five hundred rounds is a reasonable interval at which to perform basic cleaning, lube, and maintenance on your 1911."

-Hilton Yam

1SFG
02-13-07, 11:33
one of the main reasons i don't run one of those things in my personal and work guns. 500 rounds is an easy day on the range for me and on a training day it's probably closer to 800. haven't been on hilton's site lately, but does he recommend running a shock-buff at all?

snacks
02-13-07, 11:57
it also helps determine when your recoil spring might need changing

snacks
02-13-07, 11:59
There is an excellent post on round counts and maintenance by Hilton Yam on 10-8. I cut/pasted it into my "1911 wisdom" file. Here is an excerpt:

"500-1,000 – If you are running a synthetic buffer in your gun, this is the interval at which you need to replace it. If you wait too long, the buffer will come apart inside the gun and tie it up. Five hundred rounds is a reasonable interval at which to perform basic cleaning, lube, and maintenance on your 1911."

-Hilton Yam

that's a very good point. i also change my spring out when it's time to put the third shok buff in.

Matt Edwards
02-13-07, 12:17
1SFG,
Hilton and Lav both recomend shock buffs.
Matt

Loner
02-15-07, 00:05
Buffertech recommends changing their buffers every 1,000-1,200 rounds. But I have been using mine on my commander for 3,150 rounds now, check it evertime I clean and still good to go. Will see how many more rounds before it fail.

Robb Jensen
02-15-07, 06:33
I replace the recoil spring every 2k rounds in my 1911. I don't use a buffer and I've never seen a frame ruined by 'peening' from the guide rod/recoil spring guide. I've tried them and didn't notice any benefit. They did sometimes seem to make the slide function sometimes not function smoothly so I haven't messed with them since then.

PALADIN-hgwt
02-15-07, 08:12
xxxxx

VA_Dinger
02-15-07, 13:41
I have been running CP Buffs (Clear) in my 5" 1911's for the past two years without a problem. I’ve made it a habit of changing mine out every 500-750 rounds regardless if it shows any wear or not. Recoil springs get changed out every two thousand rounds.

MX5
02-16-07, 06:52
Never - not used anymore. I used them when they first came out a long time ago - seemed like a good idea at the time. I carry serious fighting guns and practice accordingly. In spite of frequent inspection and PM, the first time one caused a stoppage was the end of that - fortunately some lessons are learned at the range. Just my $.02.

Matt Edwards
02-16-07, 08:03
MX5,
I understand your point but just so we are tracking, remember that PLENTY of "real deal" guys who carry "Serious fighting guns" have buffs in them. I'm not passing any judgement yeah or ney, just presenting a fact.
Matt