PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCR

boondocksaint
09-15-09, 17:43
Can anyone tell me where the Ruger LCR is made?

By the looks of the web-site, I think New Hampshire. But, I have to make sure because "U.S. Manufacture" is one of my boss' requirements for personally owned revovers. So, before I look any further into getting one as a backup gun...I wanted to check.

Thanks.

30in1
09-15-09, 18:18
Isn't the LCR a semi-auto .380 pistol not a revolver?

RAM Engineer
09-15-09, 18:26
Isn't the LCR a semi-auto .380 pistol not a revolver?

LCP - Pistol
LCR - Revolver

30in1
09-15-09, 19:38
Idiot verification completed!

HPLLC
09-15-09, 19:48
I thought the LCR was cool, 13.5 oz

till I saw the lighter charter guns, but they all come in wierd colors.

Taurus actually makes a 13.5oz revolver that's better looking than either and with Taurus I'm assuming it too would be affordable, unlike Smith and wessons airlites.

RancidSumo
09-15-09, 20:15
I felt the Charter guns and they seemed like a POS to me. They was so much play in the cylinder that it was unacceptable on all of them that I handled (4).

OP, I don't know the answer to your question but I assume it would be easy enough to find out on Google. I just wanted to respond to the person recommending the Charter Arms guns over the LCR.

ChicagoTex
09-16-09, 03:00
Rugers makes all of their guns at their factory in Newport, New Hampshire. You and your employer can rest easy knowing the LCR is a fully American product.

Taurus actually makes a 13.5oz revolver that's better looking than either and with Taurus I'm assuming it too would be affordable, unlike Smith and wessons airlites.

Did you ever stop to consider maybe there's a reason S&Ws aren't cheap?

Falboy
10-01-09, 11:06
I pickedup my LCR two days ago, I love the little bugger. My friends are quite enamoured with it as well. I see a few new LCR owners in the not too distant future........

boondocksaint
10-01-09, 12:15
FALLBOY,

Have you put any rounds through it yet? Whaddya think?

Falboy
10-01-09, 15:28
I've got 50 rds of Aquila .38 spec. hollowpoints, about 6 diff. people have shot it now. I've personally put 25 through it. I think it's very controllable and recoil is not what I expected. My background is .45 ACP. I think it's comparable to a Commander with the rounds I've shot. Everyone who has shot it, want's one! I've not done any formal groups obviously, but initial impressions are favorable. I might buy another for my mother-in-law(I like the woman, no stereotypes please.).

Zhurdan
10-01-09, 15:30
I bought one for my wife. She likes it, but she's only put about 150 rounds thru it thus far. I shot 50 or so and it seems to point pretty well considering I'm used to autos. Not too tough to hit a 10" plate at 10 yards.

JohnN
10-01-09, 20:12
I got an opportunity to shoot an LCR at the range last weekend and liked the feel and how the gun handled in general. However, the reset is funky and it is very easy to short stroke it. Pretty much a training issue I am sure but a little disconcerting and dampened my enthusiasm considerably.

Oscar 319
10-01-09, 20:27
I am not trying to start a pissing match.

I am just curious at to why one would purchase a LCR as opposed to a S&W J Frame.

I understand the design is "innovative". I just can't see what actual advantage it has over the (IMO) near perfect Smith and Wesson offerings.

Zhurdan
10-01-09, 23:37
I am not trying to start a pissing match.

I am just curious at to why one would purchase a LCR as opposed to a S&W J Frame.

I understand the design is "innovative". I just can't see what actual advantage it has over the (IMO) near perfect Smith and Wesson offerings.

Price? Around here, the Ruger LCR is about $200 cheaper and from all accounts I've heard, just as reliable as any other revolver in the $480 range. Sure, it hasn't been proven over time, but in my case, I bought my wife a 9mm auto that she never shot because she lacked the hand strength to run the slide. The revolver, she has a higher confidence in. She can work it on her own pace. Someday, perhaps she'll get the confidence to run an auto, but until then, I'm going to find the most affordable, reliable method of getting her to the range so that she can build her confidence. Would I carry the LCR? Perhaps, but it wouldn't be my first choice by any means.

My first step is getting the wife to the range. After that, everything is golden. It's a stepping stone for her, and it seems to work. That's a plus. If I buy her a $700 gun and it sits in the safe... well, you get the picture, but if I buy her a $480 gun and she shoots it every weekend, we both come out ahead. I don't doubt the strength of the cylinder or the frame so it's good enough for her to get some confidence with. Previously, I bought her a small 9mm. The slide was too much for her to retract, (small delicate hands) so it sat in the safe collecting dust. I sold it and used the funds to purchase the LCR. Seemed like a good idea. We'll see how it turns out in the long run.

K9-Bob
10-02-09, 09:11
I just bought a Ruger LCR yesterday. I have always been a fan of a revolver for an off duty backup piece. I chose the Ruger LCR due to its innovative
design and light weight construction. I especially liked the trigger pull on the LCR.

I paid about $350 and think that i would have cost me about $50 -$75 more to buy a lightweight Smith J frame revolver instead. I hope to get this out to the range later today and shoot it.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x266/k9-bob/LCR3.jpg

Jay Cunningham
12-11-09, 14:18
I have one and I got to finally put some rounds through it. I need to shoot it some more for a better opinion post but so far, so good. It is easy to "short stroke" the trigger if one is not used to it (it must be released all the way forward) and the activation button on the CT grips sometimes does not activate because of the grip design. I don't know if guys with larger hands have a better time with this but occasionally I need to shift my grip slightly to get the laser to activate.

markman
12-12-09, 03:36
I believe that will be my next pistol purchase. I had a LCP but got rid of it because of reliability issues. I've heard nothing but good about the LCR's. It looks like they got that one right!

montanadave
12-12-09, 07:58
I purchased a LCR last summer and was pleased with both the accuracy and recoil. The stock grips are more comfortable (and fit my hands better) than the Crimson Trace grips I subsequently installed, but the tradeoff was worth it given my less than optimal eyesight and the minimal sights on the LCR.

I have ordered a replacement Big Dot front sight from XS Systems for my LCR but am still waiting on delivery.

On a side note, I ordered a Looper holster from Custom Carry Concepts and forgot to mention I had replaced the stock grips with the Crimson Trace. When I called Rich to tell him the holster would not fit my LCR with the CT grips, he immediately asked me to mail the holster back with some photos so he could make the necessary modifications. I had the holster back within a week and it fits like a glove, Thanks, Rich. Great customer service.

Another nice accessory for the LCR is the QuickStrip from TuffProducts and the small nylon/velcro belt pouch which holds two 5-round QuickStrip reloaders and can quickly be attached or removed from your belt or simply carried loose in a pocket.