PDA

View Full Version : Is the MP9 worth the extra $$$ over a G19

rjacobs
09-16-09, 10:43
I am looking at picking up a 9mm and am trying to decide between an MP9 and a G19. The Glock is $395 and the MP is $519. I know both guns are GTG, but is the MP worth the extra $120 over the Glock? If it is, why is it worth $120 more?

Business_Casual
09-16-09, 10:45
Huh? That's not right.

Is there a LE discount on the Glock? Does the M&P have night sites? What generation Glock and is it new?

M_P

rjacobs
09-16-09, 10:47
Huh? That's not right.

Is there a LE discount on the Glock? Does the M&P have night sites? What generation Glock and is it new?

M_P

Whats not right about it?

Both guns would be brand new. The Glock is LEO pricing and I believe the MP is as well. Yes on the night sites on the MP along with 3 17 round mags.

MarshallDodge
09-16-09, 10:56
That price is high on the M&P unless it has night sights or thumb safety. I have seen the base model M&P for $458 and did not include the LEO discount.

Both the Glock and the M&P have their strengths so it's hard to say which one is worth more.

Edit: Posted after OP, if the S&W has night sights then that will add significant cost.

askani79705
09-16-09, 11:00
Glock. there's not $100 difference in quality.Sig 2022 is a good deal right now at $425

NCPatrolAR
09-16-09, 11:15
Whats not right about it?

Both guns would be brand new. The Glock is LEO pricing and I believe the MP is as well. Yes on the night sites on the MP along with 3 17 round mags.

Unless something has changed, that isnt LEO pricing on the M&P.

For me; the switch from Glock to the M&P doesnt have a price on it. I find the M&P is an infinately better pistol and is a better fit for how I shoot.

ToddG
09-16-09, 11:32
Setting aside the weird price skew you reported ...

If that $100 is going to make a difference in your life, then buy the less expensive gun. I don't think anyone can honestly say a G19 is a poor choice. It is truly a ubiquitous pistol among knowledgeable gun owners. While it may not be every man's favorite, few would deny that it works, and works well.

If that $100 isn't going to make a difference in your life, then buy the gun that works best for you. Presumably, you're going to own this gun for a decade or more and shoot thousands of rounds of ammunition through it. That $100, over time, in comparison to the cost of feeding & maintaining the gun, is going to be negligible.

beastfrog
09-16-09, 12:06
Sounds like the Glock does not have night sights, so that's probably the difference. By the time you add night sights to the Glock your looking at the same price, more or less.

rjacobs
09-16-09, 12:22
Nah the money isnt really a big deal, just interested in getting the best gun. I have shot Glocks, but I haven't shot an MP9. I guess I should go shoot one before I make a decision. I am looking at things right now from more of a technical aspect prior to shooting the gun.

I buy from www.gtdist.com

The glock is not the night site model, I think with the night sites it was closer to $475, but I cant remember and they dont have it listed on their website. I guess I should be comparing two similarly equipped guns. Honestly having night sites or not doesnt bother me to much, they can be put on later. This will be a range gun mostly for classes and what not, I dont plan on CCW with this gun. .40 and .45 is a bit to expensive to shoot 1000-1500 rounds at a class, its also harder to find.

spamsammich
09-16-09, 12:37
I have that exact same package for the M&P but I don't get LEO pricing, my total plus sales tax came out to $575. I think your price isn't LEO pricing. Definitely try before you buy. I found I really liked the g19 trigger reset better. I stoned my reset cam on the sear and improved it a lot, but it is still not as good as the Glock. I love the night sights and the extra mag was great but that hasn't stopped me from wanting a G19 as well, I feel equally comfortable with both pistols. I want my G19 with night sights though.

mattjmcd
09-16-09, 14:37
I have both a G19 and an M&P9. IMO the M&P is worth the price difference, especially since a lot of folks end up swapping out the mag release and the sights on the Glock. Those 2 mods soak up most of your savings.

I like my Glock and will not part with it, but the M&P wins for me with the rail, better ergos, and (for me) better accuracy.

IMSHAKN
09-16-09, 15:29
I'd choose the M&P over the glock any day, which is exactly what I did when I put my money where my mouth is. The M&P is better balanced and most people find them to be very comfortable with one of the three included back straps. I just seem to shoot better with this weapon and truly love it despite the fact that it continues to guzzle ammo and I can't figure out why. :D

That being said, the Glock is a quality gun, but the M&P has it in some areas that I personally find important outside of its ergonomics:

-S&W customer service is second to NONE. You have a problem, you are not paying for shit and they will stand behind their product and make it right all on their dime. Try getting that kind of service from anyone else.
-Lifetime Warranty...yeah, they believe in their product
-You CAN shoot all the lead through this thing and have no problems. Sure you COULD shoot lead through a Glock, but if they find out I don't think they'll be warranting any claims;)

My current M&P9 has a little over 2000 trouble free rounds through it and has survived a day of 500 rounds in a matter two hours with no cleaning.

CPR
09-16-09, 16:35
My M&P9 has been through 5 classes (~2100 rounds) without an issue. The only thing in the Glock's corner is its ease of disassembly and spare parts availability, although the Smith is not terribly hard to detail strip and I guess parts are becoming more commonplace.

Buck
09-16-09, 16:39
I like the G19 better... But chose what works best for you...

B

rjacobs
09-16-09, 16:42
It seems like most people are singing the praise of the MP. The place I buy from is a LEO distributor and is supposed to be giving LEO pricing, but I dont think they really are on the MP's. Can somebody point me in the direction of a place that will give true LEO pricing on the MP? I guess I could call SW and ask them.

Ian111
09-16-09, 17:08
I own both a G17 and M&P 9mm and I prefer Glocks as well.

As others have said price shouldn't be a factor in deciding which gun is right for you. The G19 has been around longer and has lots of benefits from being a well entrenched pistol among shooters. The M&P seems to be on its way and is gaining popularity. Both guns have their loyal supporters. You can't judge a pistol depending on how many "vote" for one gun or another based on one particular thread. Bottom line is we can't predict which particulars you'll end up preferring or disliking about each. Neither are "far and away" superior to another and both have enough virtues to be a Strong Recommend.

moyler
09-16-09, 17:38
You've established the $100. price difference as the night sights. And, I'd pay twice that difference regardless, for the gun that worked better for ME.

Wether you listen to those singing the praise of the M&P, or listen to the ones liking Glock better, you need to see which points more naturally, and shoots better for YOU.

You mentioned not having shot the M&P yet. Go to a range where you can rent both and put them through their paces. After several hundred rounds, I am betting you will be able to definitively answer your own question.

Good luck and have fun!

SW-Shooter
09-16-09, 19:16
My answer would be NO. I believe the Glock 19 to be the premier 9mm on the market. I think it is even better than the HK.

I've owned several M&P's, my 9c had to go back because of rounds nose diving into the feedramp. They polished it but the only remedy was hundreds of rounds down the pipe and many frustrating range sessions, shoot, clear jam, shoot, clear jam, repeat many times.

Stick with the Glock 19, you'll never be sorry.

I've owned 4 M&P's in the past and currently own zero (0) now.

tpd223
09-16-09, 19:28
Personal preference, IMNSHO

dwhitehorne
09-16-09, 20:51
It seems like most people are singing the praise of the MP. The place I buy from is a LEO distributor and is supposed to be giving LEO pricing, but I dont think they really are on the MP's. Can somebody point me in the direction of a place that will give true LEO pricing on the MP? I guess I could call SW and ask them.

I got one of my M&P's from Buds Police Supply. It was $419 shipped w/o night sites. They are listing the night sight version at $509 right now. I have the Novak night sights on my 40 and do not care for them. I specifically did not get the night sights on my 9mm because I wanted to get something different than the Novaks anyway.

You can't go wrong with Glock either. I figure you're going to have to change out those plastic sights anyway. I've owned a few Glocks and just prefer the M&P now. Good luck with you decision. David

VA_Dinger
09-16-09, 21:09
I see no reason to suggest someone pay more for an M&P over a G19. 9mm Glocks are world renowned for their reliability and most would agree the G19 is damn near perfectly sized for a carry/do it all handgun. Plus I have never heard of Glocks being bothered by large amounts of dry firing. While that may or may not affect your choosing a handgun it was my main reason for going back to Glock 9mm G19’s & G17’s.

09-16-09, 22:36
I was just at GT Distributors the other day and purchased an M&P 40 without night sights. It was $459 w/ 3 mags. The night sight version is $519 plus tax. I wanted one but the Austin PD cadets wiped the night sight models clean. I called last Friday and there were 3 left. Not the case when I arrived.
Glocks without night sights are $398 plus tax and come with 3 mags.

I've owned several of the popular 40 cal models (G22, XD40, Sig P229, Sig P226) and by far the M&P is the best (for me). It feels balanced and points well. Ergos are great as well as accuracy. However you can't beat the Glock for it's simplicity and reliability. I've never had a problem with my G22. I've had one FTF in over 2K rounds. I still own it along with the XD40. The 9mm models should be no different.

If you can't decide, get both. :)

rjacobs
09-17-09, 00:47
I was just at GT Distributors the other day and purchased an M&P 40 without night sights. It was $459 w/ 3 mags. The night sight version is $519 plus tax. I wanted one but the Austin PD cadets wiped the night sight models clean. I called last Friday and there were 3 left. Not the case when I arrived.
Glocks without night sights are $398 plus tax and come with 3 mags.

I've owned several of the popular 40 cal models (G22, XD40, Sig P229, Sig P226) and by far the M&P is the best (for me). It feels balanced and points well. Ergos are great as well as accuracy. However you can't beat the Glock for it's simplicity and reliability. I've never had a problem with my G22. I've had one FTF in over 2K rounds. I still own it along with the XD40. The 9mm models should be no different.

If you can't decide, get both. :)

I will have to go up there and see what they have(I want to pick up a Spec-Ops riggers belt). They seem to always have stuff that is obviously not on their website. I think at 459 without night sites I would be very tempted between that and the non-night sight G19 at $395.

I appreciate the comments and I dont think I will go wrong either way. I like my XD40SC(even though lots on here dont like them) and have had over 2000 rounds through mine with no problems, just want a 9mm and want to get the best money can buy.

09-17-09, 01:09
One day I'll fork over the cash and get a G19 to add to the collection. I don't know any owner that hates their G19. It's inexpensive, reliable, and easy to conceal for the most part. It's a well rounded carry weapon.
"Surveys" often favor the G19. I guess the same could be stated for the M&P9.

Robb Jensen
09-17-09, 07:26
I am looking at picking up a 9mm and am trying to decide between an MP9 and a G19. The Glock is $395 and the MP is $519. I know both guns are GTG, but is the MP worth the extra $120 over the Glock? If it is, why is it worth $120 more?

If I could only afford one it would be the Glock 19.
I own a Glock 19, as well as a 17 and 26. All three are carry guns.

At work I open carry a M&P45 and use it for CDP division of IDPA. In USPSA Production I compete with a M&P Pro. I can shoot the M&Ps instinctively more accurately and can reload them faster (probably since they feel very much like a 1911 in my hand and I grew up shooting 1911s). This is not to say that I can't shoot Glocks well or reload them quickly. I've shot Glocks since 1987 and have had probably 1/4 of the things in the break vs. my experience with M&Ps (since they've been out).

Last I checked LEO pricing on Glocks was $399 and S&W M&P (9s/40s/357s) was $455
Both come with 3 mags and I think the $455 price on the M&P included night sights.

ra2bach
09-17-09, 09:31

any dealer who is a major stocking dealer should have guns available for police sale. it would be up to you to ask for that price however.

rjacobs
09-17-09, 09:33
any dealer who is a major stocking dealer should have guns available for police sale. it would be up to you to ask for that price however.

The dealer I go to is a LEO only dealer(have to show credentials to purchase), so I was assuming that the 519 price was a LEO price, however after reading on here it seems it may or it may not be. The price is supposed to be more like 459. I simply need to go and actually talk to them and see what the deal is.

09-17-09, 10:04
GT is listed on S&W's site as an LE distributor. One of only 2 distributors in Texas IIRC. I doubt they would deviate from LE pricing. The M&P with night sights is advertised in store at $519. Mine was only $459 without.

rjacobs
09-17-09, 10:07
GT is listed on S&W's site as an LE distributor. One of only 2 distributors in Texas IIRC. I doubt they would deviate from LE pricing. The M&P with night sights is advertised in store at $519. Mine was only $459 without.

Yea I know they are a LEO distributor and I have bought 5 or 6 guns from them and have been happy with the prices. I am just confused in this thread because a few people are saying 519 with night sites is not what the LEO pricing should be, however I do trust GT's and that they are selling at LEO pricing. I am going up there in like an hour to pickup some stuff and maybe pickup a gun if I can make up my mind and convince myself I really need to spend 500 more dollars on another gun. I also want to look through their used gun case, although their prices on their used guns always seems a little high to me.

09-17-09, 10:32
Lol I didn't know they had a used gun case. I always go to the new stuff. Keep us updated on your personal findings.

rjacobs
09-17-09, 11:16
Lol I didn't know they had a used gun case. I always go to the new stuff. Keep us updated on your personal findings.

Yea its on the left next to the case with the various optics in it. Usually nothing spectacular in it and like I said, prices dont seem to be to great, but maybe you can make offers, I have never seen anything in there that I wanted before.

T2J
09-17-09, 11:49
I have both. I'll be honest, while I like the M&P's adjustable back strap, I shoot the Glock better.

Honestly, the M&P trigger sucks compared to the Glock trigger. Not to mention that for about $20 you can drastically improve the Glock trigger yourself.

I don't like three dot night sights and dislike the factory night sights on both. The majority of my guns wear a tritium front and a Heinie Slant Pro plain rear, so I always buy guns with standard sights. As it is I'm starting to switch to the 10-8 rears. YMMV

DocH
09-17-09, 13:09
I have three 2nd Generation Glock 19's because they are pistols that work for me. I do not own an M&P (yet) but it is a pistol that interests me,the first one that's come out in a long time that has generated any real interest as one to own.
I've had the opportunity to fire both a full size and a compact and liked them both but the full size would be my choice. I don't know what the measurements are but it seems more compact to me than a Glock 17 and I really,really like the grip design and the ergonomics.
Glocks and 1911's are the only autos in my house at this time,and I really havn't had a desire to add a different breed until the M&P. I''ve had Beretta,H&K, and many others but they're all gone. I feel sure that when the M&P comes it will stay,but so will my 19's. The 19's are just classic in their performance. I think the M&P,over time,may give them a run for the money.

rjacobs
09-17-09, 19:03
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/rjacobs1/IMG_0907.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/rjacobs1/IMG_0908.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/rjacobs1/IMG_0909.jpg

I got the MP9 without the night sights. Price was $450. I also picked up a safariland holster and Spec-Ops riggers belt while I was there and they work great together. Now I just gotta get some mag holders(probably blade-tech) for the belt.

I held the Glock 19 and, just like when I bought my XD, I just hated how it felt in my hand, it was just uncomfortable. The MP fit my hand great, I gotta mess around with the backstraps to see which one I like. Took it to the range, right out of the box, didnt clean it and shot 200 rounds of WWB through it. It shot great. The trigger is kinda funky how it rotates, but I will get used to it. It has a very vague reset. I shot it ok, but need lots more trigger time with it.

09-17-09, 19:14
Good deal. :cool:

BB01
09-18-09, 02:00
I see no reason to suggest someone pay more for an M&P over a G19. 9mm Glocks are world renowned for their reliability and most would agree the G19 is damn near perfectly sized for a carry/do it all handgun. Plus I have never heard of Glocks being bothered by large amounts of dry firing. While that may or may not affect your choosing a handgun it was my main reason for going back to Glock 9mm G19’s & G17’s.

I agree...with one additional comment.

While rare, I have personally blown out the breach face on a G34 (newer slide) and broken the striker on an older G17 with large amounts of dry fire. That being said...GLOCK replaced my slide, no questions asked and they are still my first choice.

Rider79
09-18-09, 08:12
I held the Glock 19 and, just like when I bought my XD, I just hated how it felt in my hand, it was just uncomfortable.

Just curious, if that was the case, why did you buy the XD in the first place?

rjacobs
09-18-09, 08:39
Just curious, if that was the case, why did you buy the XD in the first place?

Not sure what your talking about. I bought my XD over the Glock a while back because the Glock felt like crap in my hands. I confirmed it again yesterday when I was trying to decide between the Glock and the MP, the Glock still felt like crap in my hands.

Rider79
09-18-09, 09:06
Not sure what your talking about. I bought my XD over the Glock a while back because the Glock felt like crap in my hands. I confirmed it again yesterday when I was trying to decide between the Glock and the MP, the Glock still felt like crap in my hands.

My bad. Your original post made it seem like the XD felt like crap in your hands. Ha.

I'm glad you went with the M&P. Honestly, if I wasn't 10+ 9mm Glocks, and 50+ Glock mags deep, I would look at the M&P, it feels great in my hand. Its just a little too late to turn around now. Your post actually had me looking at M&P45s, since I wouldn't mind having a reliable .45 to carry, and I don't like Glocks in any caliber but 9mm.

Terry
09-18-09, 11:54
I'd definetly shoot the M&P first.
It "feels" better, but I could not get used to the trigger, not on my ammo budget anyway.
Guess I should have read all the replies.
IMO, You can't go wrong with either choice.

Pappabear
09-18-09, 19:54
If you consider the M&P Pro and option, get one. It has a great trigger and shoots dead on. Good luck with your decision.

dookie1481
09-18-09, 21:08
I agree with one additional comment.

While rare, I have personally blown out the breach face on a G34 (newer slide) and broken the striker on an older G17 with large amounts of dry fire. That being said...GLOCK replaced my slide, no questions asked and they are still my first choice.

How much dry fire? Estimate?

Jay

BB01
09-18-09, 22:41
How much dry fire? Estimate?

Jay

The 17 had approximately 40k rounds through it and an additional 150k or so "rounds" of dry fire.

the 34 had 10-12k rounds through it and 25k "rounds" of dry fire.

I work them pretty hard, so I have no complaints.