PDA

View Full Version : M&P Performance Center action work (completed w/pics)

09-17-09, 15:55
I did not waste any time sending off my new M&P 40 for the PC action work. Their quoted turnaround time was what got my attention. I know it's not Burwell or Bowie quality but it should be light years better than stock. Warranty is retained and it will be kosher to use at work since it was worked on by the factory. I need to qualify with it before the month is over.

Here's what the price looked like on my end.

$125 Express Service
+
$36 Express shipping

I thought shipping was included in the Express Service price but I guess not. I asked and the rep said no. Maybe I paid the extra $36 to get the return label sent to me ASAP. :confused:

9-15-09 (Tuesday)
-M&P 40 purchased
-S&W called to order package

9-17-09 (Thursday)
-150 rds fired for function testing
-Return label and order form dropped off by FedEx Express (overnight service)
-M&P dropped off at FedEx.

9-18-09 (Friday)
-Packaged delivered to S&W at 0931 hrs
-Action job completed same day and shipped out FedEx 2 Day!!!!!

9-19/20-09 (Saturday/Sunday)

9-22-09 (Tuesday)
-M&P in-hand

Not bad at all considering there was a weekend in the middle of it. :cool:

dirksterg30
09-17-09, 17:45
I've been thinking of sending my M&P9 FS in for some action work. Let us know how it works for you.

09-18-09, 10:24
Does anyone know what exactly S&W does to the internals besides changing out the sear? Any reduction to pre-travel, over-travel?

beastfrog
09-18-09, 10:31
They pretty much do just what you tell them to do. If all your getting is the PC sear then your pre travel will lengthen and your overtravel will shorten. You might consider making sure they polish the action if you haven't already.

I may eventually send mine in and get the mass compliant internals with a pc sear. Just waiting a little to see if someone else will offer aftermarket parts to accomplish the same thing.

09-18-09, 10:42
They pretty much do just what you tell them to do. If all your getting is the PC sear then your pre travel will lengthen and your overtravel will shorten. You might consider making sure they polish the action if you haven't already.

I may eventually send mine in and get the mass compliant internals with a pc sear. Just waiting a little to see if someone else will offer aftermarket parts to accomplish the same thing.

I sent it in for the "Action Package" which consists of the following:
Polish Ramp
Tuned Action
Install Performance Center Sear
Test Fire for Function

I wonder what tuned action entails..

beastfrog
09-18-09, 10:45
I wonder what tuned action entails..

Polishing the metal on metal connections from the trigger bar to the striker. You'll like it.

civilian
09-18-09, 12:24
I'm about ready to do this to both of mine since I'm close to giving up on the pt.com gun at this point.

RyanS
09-18-09, 17:59
Will they insall a MA-compliant trigger bar & trigger bar spring along with the PC sear if you ask, and obviously pay for it?

beastfrog
09-18-09, 18:19
Will they insall a MA-compliant trigger bar & trigger bar spring along with the PC sear if you ask, and obviously pay for it?

Yes, they will. Others have said the price was the same as quoted earlier in this thread.

Oscar 319
09-18-09, 18:44
Let us know how it works out. My M&P 45 will be going that route too....though I've put around 1,000 rnds through mine and the stock trigger has smoothed out considerably.

LonghunterCO
09-18-09, 22:28
Yes, they will. Others have said the price was the same as quoted earlier in this thread.

the $125?

maximus83
09-19-09, 17:22
Will they put on a set of night sets, for an additional charge?

09-19-09, 19:06
Will they put on a set of night sets, for an additional charge?

I'm pretty positive they will. You never know, they might even do it for free.

ygbsm
09-19-09, 22:41

I am sure they would, but why would you want to?

Jay Cunningham
09-19-09, 22:43
I am sure they would, but why would you want to?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=17980

ygbsm
09-22-09, 16:27
I too can read. Still, why would you make your triggers appreciably heavier? Admittedly my sample size was one, but it put about four more pounds on the trigger pull. It didn't help the reset so much that it would offset that.

If you want a Glock trigger buy a Glock.

If you want a nicer trigger either get the PC sear, or do a trigger job.

09-22-09, 17:14
I updated the time line in the first post. I received the M&P back today.

I won't have a chance to take it to the range this week. I'm headed out of town. Here's what dry firing tells me so far:

1. Take up/trigger slack feels the same.
2. One resistance is felt, the break is clean. From just guestimating, I would say it's anywhere between 4.5-5#. Definitely A LOT cleaner than stock. It doesn't feel crunchy.
3. I think overtravel increased a bit. Too much for my tastes but it's not bad.
4. Reset feels a bit shorter (not by much) and feels a bit more positive than stock. The double reset is gone.

Money well spent? I would say so in how fast they turned the gun around and how it currently feels. I have nothing to compare it to so this is all I know.

Here's what I can see..

Polished feedramp
http://i38.tinypic.com/2n9gfex.jpg

Domed safety plunger ala Glock
http://i35.tinypic.com/2vd5r4m.jpg

New finish on the Performance Center sear? I thought the PC sear was dark in color.. Hmmmm... Can someone confirm this? The flash killed the color somewhat but it's titanium colored.
http://i33.tinypic.com/1z5jl7s.jpg

GLOCKMASTER
09-22-09, 18:21
New finish on the Performance Center sear? I thought the PC sear was dark in color.. Hmmmm... Can someone confirm this? The flash killed the color somewhat but it's titanium colored.

That is a Performance Center Sear.

09-22-09, 18:36
Thanks. I panicked a little because I remember seeing a picture of the PC sear and it was dark in color. :cool:

09-23-09, 01:58
Well I lied. I said what the hell and went to the dept qualification range and qualified with the M&P late tonight without putting a few feeler rounds through first.
Good news is that I am now qualified to carry the M&P for duty. :cool: The bad news is that in the 50 rds that I shot for the course using dept issued range ammo (Speer Lawman Clean-Fire), my gun FTF'd twice. Both were contributed by one hand limpwristing. No biggie.
The ammo may be good for indoor use but it's filthy as hell. Time to clean and load her up!!

Beat Trash
09-23-09, 07:53
The last batch of sears my Department received as replacement parts (to be kept on hand, no issues whit sears) was the same color as the photo of the Performance sear. The original sears received were dark in color.

While I have no doubt the OP received a PC sear in his gun as a result of the work done by S&W, I mention this only to state that you can not assume that it's a PC sear just by the color.

ygbsm
09-23-09, 19:51
I think S&W is up to three different sear colors at this point.

Longhorn
09-23-09, 19:54
Glad to hear everything worked out for ya!

Pappabear
09-24-09, 01:55
With only 50 rounds through it, I would not worry until you burn at least 250 rounds, then if it FTF, then it kinda sucks. Probably just needs to be broken in. Been down that road twice and thought, shit I have a crappy gun. Just needed broken in.

Good luck breaking in your M&P.

09-24-09, 05:34
With only 50 rounds through it, I would not worry until you burn at least 250 rounds, then if it FTF, then it kinda sucks. Probably just needs to be broken in. Been down that road twice and thought, shit I have a crappy gun. Just needed broken in.

Good luck breaking in your M&P.

Well I have 150 rds down the pipe pre-action job. It also looked like S&W put about a box through the gun as well. It was filthy when I got it back so I know they shot it quite a bit unless they were just using nasty ammo. I didn't have any problems shooting the gun at my local range. I think when I was forced to shoot one handed during the qualifier the FTF appeared. It was only twice and I can certainly recall the moments. I knew right away why it occurred. Been there done that. Glock owner here.