PDA

View Full Version : S&W 442 problem

joshs
09-18-09, 16:16
While dryfiring my 442 today I noticed that something strange was happening. When canting the gun to the left, right-handed shooter shooting strong hand only, occasionally the cylinder would not lock before the hammer dropped. If I touched the cylinder it would click into place, but if I carefully grab the cylinder, I am able to move it clockwise. This only happens with the gun canted slightly to the left. The gun has about 500 rounds through it, mostly standard pressure, and about 50 rounds of Speer 135gr +p. I'm guessing this needs to go to back to Smith. Thanks in advance.

Alpha Sierra
09-18-09, 16:57
It probably needs a slightly longer hand. You can send it to S&W or any reputable gunsmith that understands S&W revolvers can fix it up if by ordering an oversized hand and fitting it up to give a solid, well timed carry up.

The S&W hand ejector lockwork has not changed much in 113 years.

ChicagoTex
09-18-09, 23:14
I definetely wouldn't suggest shooting it under those circumstances, send it back to S&W - they'll take care of ya.

rickb210
09-20-09, 10:51
Call S&W customer service and explain the problem. If you're the original owner(heck, even if your not), ask for a shipping label. A S&W revolver that I bought new 12 yrs ago had a problem with the cyclinder sometimes being a little difficult to open(the ejecter rod wasn't loose). They sent me a shipping label(FedEx) and returned the gun to me inside of 10 days. Of course, no charge. S&W always gives me good customer service.

M4Fundi
09-22-09, 03:39
I definitely would not fire it. It could start spitting lead sideways.

joshs
09-22-09, 07:34
Thanks for the help, will give S&W a call later today.

JimmyB62
09-22-09, 13:00
Many Smith & Wessons do this. There is additional travel of the hand/pawl when the trigger is pulled fully rearward (after the hammer has dropped) which engages the cyclinder ratchet, pushing the cylinder all the way to the stop. You'd see lead spitting if it wasn't locked at ignition.

Send it to S&W to ease your mind but I've seen many S&W revolvers that only lock when the trigger is fully pulled.

Alpha Sierra
09-22-09, 21:18
Many Smith & Wessons do this. There is additional travel of the hand/pawl when the trigger is pulled fully rearward (after the hammer has dropped) which engages the cyclinder ratchet, pushing the cylinder all the way to the stop. You'd see lead spitting if it wasn't locked at ignition.

Send it to S&W to ease your mind but I've seen many S&W revolvers that only lock when the trigger is fully pulled.

It's a fine line, but in reality the cylinder stop should be fully engaged before the hammer drops.

Kuhnhausen's book explains it in gory detail.