PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun ammo access for 3-gun and similar?

Cesiumsponge
03-06-07, 00:02
For stuff like 3-gun and perhaps tactical training, whats the most efficient and suggested way(s) of storing extra shells and getting at them with minimal hassle when using a pump action? I've never gone 3-gunning or taken a shotgun course but I'd like to absorb as much as I can before I spend money on a class (one day hopefully) so I can utilize the limited class time I have on honing techniques rather than starting off from square one and overloading my brain. I haven't really given it any thought thusfar as I own a Saiga-12 with 10rnd mags, but I got an 870 (build in process) not too long ago.

On-gun shell solutions seem somewhat bulky, limited in quantity, and might change the balance of the shotgun. I considered the 4-6 shell Mesa shell holders before on the non-chamber side. Anything chamber-side mounted would appear to be awkward if you wanted to load shells into an open chamber directly with your strong hand.

The molle/vest/lbe-setups look nice if the holders are relatively open and unhindered as far as reaching down for them. They're kind of out of your field of vision so you'd have to use them extensively to get used to it or take a peek down I would think unless you have great tactile memory. There are several different brands out there. Most look like pouches with elastic bands and a flap. I don't know how well the flaps fold back (or if they stay back) for easy access during shooting.

I considered the forearm mounted solution and it looks good on paper but I don't know if it works well in real life. I had a thought experiment on using one unit on either forearm as it keeps shells nearby and within peripheral vision. A supporting arm shellholder would work with the strong hand plucking shells and dumping directly into an open chamber for single shots whilst keeping the weapon trained on the target using the supporting hand to hold up the weapon.

Strong arm shellholder would use the supporting hand plucking shells to fill up the tube mag while the strong arm holds on the grip and keeps the shotgun tucked tight against the shoulder and trained on the target (might be harder if the shotgun is front heavy). Of course, this only gives you 16 total rounds (8 per arm) compared to probably much more on a vest, but more than the shotgun-mounted solution.

If anyone can chime in with some suggestions, products, experience, etc., let me know. Let me know if I am an absolute moron and steer me down the right path :)

GunLovinTexan
03-06-07, 10:42
I had a Tac Star side shell holder until the damn thing fell off in the middle a string of firing.....i wouldnt reccomend that method.

Rob

rhino
03-06-07, 11:48
Your chosen style of reloading will determine which modes of shell carry are better for you.

If you grab one shell at a time and load it, your fastest will be shells mounted on the gun or on your forearm. The best sidesaddles on the market are here: www.3gungear.com. Ignore the photos with the guy with the bandoleer and all the gear on, as he is just showing the products they have. Do not dismiss these products because they are elastic loops on nylon. They are not the same thing you find for buttcuffs and the like at Wal*Mart.

If you grab 3-5 shells at a time and then load them, your best bet is the belt mounted "trays" that hold the shells in horizontal stacks. Some manufacturers are California Competition Works, Choate, Inova, and a really nice (but spendy) aluminum version made by a machine shop in Kentucky whose name I can't recall, but the owner goes by the userid tewlman on www.brianenos.com/forums.

Robb Jensen
03-06-07, 13:10
I use the California Competition Works shell holders (I use the 6 shell one, they mount on your belt). They also make a 4 shell one. But since I can't grab 4 shells at a time without dropping 1 most of the time. I use the 6 ones and grab 3 at a time to reload.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/3gunarea7456.jpg